Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

how would i play shenmue 1 & 2 in japanese w/ english subs?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, hypothetically, if i wanted to play shenmue 1 & 2 in japanese w/ subtitles, what would i need to do?

can i get a US dreamcast, US version of Shenmue 1 (does it have japanese+English subtitles?), a PAL version of Shenmue 2 w/ a boot disk?

any suggestions?
Old 07-06-03, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For some reason, I thought the Japanese version was in English with Japanese subs?
Old 07-06-03, 05:02 PM

Considering the fact that the games take place in China and Hong Kong, I find it a little weird that people want to play it in Japanese. I wish it was in Chinese for a more authentic sounding game.
Old 07-06-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had the PAL version of Shenmue 2, and it has japanese voice acting with English subtitles. It shouldn't be as expensive as it used to be, you could probably get it around $30 off eBay and loads with the boot disc easily.

As for Shenmue 1, I don't think a version exists that has japanese voices and english subtitles. Kind of funny because I think the japanese version can have japanese subtitles, and the english version has english subtitles...but not the other way around?
Old 07-07-03, 04:08 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too have the Euro version of Shenmue 2, its rather nice. I used a Gameshark Lite for DC to boot the game on my USA DC. The game will automatically switch to NTSC if you're not using a VGA box like you should be. Please use a VGA box, this game is beautiful.
Old 07-07-03, 10:33 AM

There's a japanese re-release of Shenmue 1

it's called I believe Shemue USA and it has japanese voices with english subtitles. English voice with Japanese Subs.

www.ncsx.com may still sell some copies of it.
Old 07-07-03, 10:36 AM

Yeah, get the PAL Shenmue II for Dreamcast and a disc that allows you to play it. (I couldn't get it to work with my regular GameShark.) As far as part 1, my friend has Shenmue USA or whatever for his Japanese Dreamcast. It's a Japanese release of the US Shenmue. I'm not sure if it still has the Japanese intact as well though.