Gangs of New York Directors Cut?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen comments on a directors cut release to DVD but no specifics. Does anyone have any information as to release date?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe Scorsese said that the theatrical version was the "director's cut".

There was a longer version (I think a half an hour more) that was debuted at a couple of big festivals, but he edited and tweaked it more for release in the theaters.
Old 07-06-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our local newspaper (the kc star) said a longer release was planned for later this year - haven't seen that info anywhere else though...
Old 07-06-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There will be,he says there wont because he wants to sell that new release instead of people waiting for the DC,then out of the blue it will be released.
Old 07-06-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ho - you honestly believe Scorsese has any stake in the coming releases of his film? I really doubt it. Any director who's commented on the subject strongly dislikes rereleases once the proper version has come out - and this is the proper version of Gangs Of New York, shabby as it is.
Old 07-06-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
You can bet your stars that there'll be a "director's cut" of this film released one way or another.

My opinion is that Scorsese and Weinstien kicked into "damage control" mode and stated that the film is the director's cut in order to help boxoffice totals and Oscar nominations.

Only time will tell, but I'm not going to be surprised when a re-release is made.
Old 07-06-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I believe the studio has already said they would "revisit" this title down the road. When the news of the DVD was announced in USA Today, they had some Miramax representative talking about how another DVD would be released with deleted scenes. So unless they have changed their minds, there will be another release and they haven't tried to hide that fact.
Old 07-06-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I said in another thread, this one feels like a real rush job. It appears that very little work went into it. I enjoyed the film, and the supplements available could have been on the level of BHD: DE since it IS a historical film.

I hope there is another release some time later b/c I feel this film deserved much better treatment.
Old 07-06-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
I believe the studio has already said they would "revisit" this title down the road. When the news of the DVD was announced in USA Today, they had some Miramax representative talking about how another DVD would be released with deleted scenes. So unless they have changed their minds, there will be another release and they haven't tried to hide that fact.
I believe his exact quote was "we'll probably take a few bites with this one." On the one hand I appreciate the honesty about a possible SE but "a couple?" Is there really that much demand for this film to warrant several dvd releases?
Old 07-06-03, 07:17 PM

Much thanks all. I think the SE will be worth waiting for and I certainly don't want to buy the DVD twice.
Old 07-06-03, 07:41 PM
mwj

I know Scorsese said no DC, but if that is true where are all the deleted scenes that supposedly exist? I believe we will get a better edition down the road.
Old 07-06-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Originally posted by Dubya
I believe his exact quote was "we'll probably take a few bites with this one." On the one hand I appreciate the honesty about a possible SE but "a couple?" Is there really that much demand for this film to warrant several dvd releases?
Of course, that quote was before the Oscars when he was sitting with 10 Nominations. I doubt even the biggest GONY haters envisioned the film walking away empty handed. We'll see, but since Miramax still hasn't put out an SE of their first Best Picture winner (The English Patient), I somehow doubt this re-issue will be a high priority.

BTW: Here's an article about the apparently superior original cut of the film by Jeffery Wells : link

Last edited by Decker; 07-06-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Hopefully Elmer Bernstein's score will be included in the directors cut. Music can really make a film and Scorsese lost his preferred score.
Old 07-07-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by mwj
I know Scorsese said no DC, but if that is true where are all the deleted scenes that supposedly exist?
I have a feeling Scorcese doesn't want us to see those deleted scenes because it would just remind us what the movie could have been had he and Miramax not gotten paranoid and hacked it to pieces.

If he really wants the current cut to be the one and only final director's cut, it is not in his interest to show us the better footage that he removed.
Old 07-07-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Of course, that quote was before the Oscars when he was sitting with 10 Nominations. I doubt even the biggest GONY haters envisioned the film walking away empty handed. We'll see, but since Miramax still hasn't put out an SE of their first Best Picture winner (The English Patient), I somehow doubt this re-issue will be a high priority.

I was talking about a Miramax representative making the "we'll probably take a couple of bites with this one" comment, not Scorsese. So apparently there are several releases in store, if not an actual director's cut.
Old 07-07-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
Hopefully Elmer Bernstein's score will be included in the directors cut. Music can really make a film and Scorsese lost his preferred score.
Scorsese himself cut that score. Elmer was a bit miffed.