Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

At least one theater gets it!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dig this...

Adult-Friendly Policy in Effect at Kansas City Movie Theater
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - When Jennifer Garretson brought her 3-year-old son to the Cinemark Palace in Kansas City, she was shocked to be turned away.
Garretson was one of several parents who hadn't heard that as of July 4, children under 6 were no longer welcome at the movie theater - even if they were accompanied by their parents.

"We didn't know anything about it, so it was kind of rotten," said Garretson, of Wichita, Kan., standing next to her 3-year-old son, Samuel.

On Saturday, several young children carried signs protesting the theater's new policy, which also prohibits children between ages 6 and 16 unless they are accompanied by a parent.

Theater officials have said they are not trying to exclude children, but instead reinforcing a more adult-oriented film menu.

Terrell Falk, spokeswoman for Dallas-based Cinemark USA, said the theater would no longer show movies rated G or PG. Instead, fliers in the lobby announced the theater will show "adult films, independent films and films geared toward adult audiences."

The Palace also has a VIP room, where adults can drink alcohol and sit in recliners while watching a movie.

Theater staff appeared to be stopping families with children who clearly were younger than 6.

"I can see that part about having a parent along, but if the parents are there with their children, it's crazy," said Sherry Parks of Chillicothe, Mo.

Gigi Lanear of Kansas City and her 4-year-old son Darion were among those turned away.

"I think it's stupid," she said. "If you're going to have PG-13 movies, it's not the little kids that will fuss; it's the teenagers."
Yes!! I'm sorry, but I haven't been a regular theater patron for the past five years, and this story touches on exactly one of the two or three reasons why.
Old 07-06-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Allow those Under 6 to G rated films. That's fine with me. But get those kids away from anything else. Just this weekend watching a film some lady brought her kid who had to be less then 2 years old. Throughout the film it was "waaaah waaaaah". These people should be banned from the theater altogether.

I'm glad they realize this. If you can't get a damn babysitter then why the hell are you going to the theater and unleashing the demon child you spawned to the world on the fine theater folks who paid their money for a decent theater experience.

great idea and I'll back it up.
Old 07-06-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I had theatres like this one.
Old 07-06-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good for them. I see no reason to take a kid that young to a PG-13 movie anyway. Most of the time the kid would probably be bored, or there would be something in the movie that the parent that took the kid would be upset about the kid seeing.

Now, if the theater were showing PG movies, then I could see why parents would be upset. There's not a whole lot barring kids from seeing a PG rated film. Also not all kids are noisy or obnoxious. I took my son (three years old at the time) to see Star Wars: AOTC in the theater, and he was extremely well behaved. In fact, at one point he turned around and told the adults behind us to be quiet Yes, I've taught him well. Now if only other parents could do the same.
Old 07-06-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Since they're only going to play more adult orientated movies (rated R only I assume) then I applaud this theatre. And the whole beer and recliner thing? Best... Idea... Ever
Old 07-06-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will not rest until I have convinced everyone I know to frequent this fine stablishment.

(I might rest my eyes a bit, so shhh.)
Old 07-06-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why does everyone hate kids so much? Not all kids are crying, whining, seat kicking, floor crapping, popcorn throwing, disease spreading, cookie eating, elmo lovin, bright color wearin hooligans. If the kids cant behave they shouldnt be allowed in but if they can behave I have no problem with them being in the theatre.
Old 07-06-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Why does everyone hate kids so much? Not all kids are crying, whining, seat kicking, floor crapping, popcorn throwing, disease spreading, cookie eating, elmo lovin, bright color wearin hooligans.
Actually, they are. It's just that around you... they're sneaky.

Old 07-06-03, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Why does everyone hate kids so much? Not all kids are crying, whining, seat kicking, floor crapping, popcorn throwing, disease spreading, cookie eating, elmo lovin, bright color wearin hooligans. If the kids cant behave they shouldnt be allowed in but if they can behave I have no problem with them being in the theatre.
True, but it only take one screaming kid to ruin a movie for me and many others.

Kids shouldn't be allowed in any movies other than PG or G. No if ands or buts.
Old 07-06-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones
True, but it only take one screaming kid to ruin a movie for me and many others.

Kids shouldn't be allowed in any movies other than PG or G. No if ands or buts.
No kids? Who do you consider a kid? I guess Pirates of the Carribean will just be adults cause you know how they love them pirate movies.
Old 07-06-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They won't show G or PG-rated films and they call that an adult-oriented policy? Must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So that means "The Straight Story" or "Citizen Kane" and countless other classic, definitely adult-oriented films are out of the question. Nonsense.
Old 07-06-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
They won't show G or PG-rated films and they call that an adult-oriented policy? Must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So that means "The Straight Story" or "Citizen Kane" and countless other classic, definitely adult-oriented films are out of the question. Nonsense.
I don't think that this is a revival house - they'll be doing their programming from contemporary releases.
Old 07-06-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The theater near me has a "no one under 12 in R movies nomatter what policy" That's good enough for me.
Old 07-06-03, 08:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great policy. I can't believe the number of idiot parents who brought their screaming brats to the Saturday matinee of Finding Nemo. Really ruined it for my wife and I.
Old 07-06-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great news! I hope there'll be more cinemas like this soon.
Old 07-06-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

basically people want to be able to enjoy a movie without hearing anyone else talking
Old 07-06-03, 09:32 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Fortunately I don't see a lot of movies that attract kids ("Hey Billy, wanna see a 3 1/2 hour movie about a dead Russian icon painter? I didn't think so...") but nevertheless I welcome this trend. With any luck the idea will catch on with other cinemas, and maybe extend to restaurants and other places of business.
Old 07-06-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

As for kids who are well behaved, how exactly do you determine which ones you can let in? Ask their parents? Hell, most parents of the true monsters wouldn't say their kids were doing anything wrong no matter what the little hellions were doing.

Bad discipline starts with the parents, and this is meant to punish them more than the kids.

I also think they need a guy with a baseball bat to take care of people with cellphones.
Old 07-06-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My rule would be - no children after 7PM will be admitted into a theater. A 2 hour movie would put them past their bed time anyway. Parents - if you can afford a movie ticket and a tub of popcorn, you can afford a babysitter for 3 hours. I like the idea of an adult theater, but I can't think of many places such a theater would survive. I'm sure the alcohol helps.
Old 07-06-03, 10:43 AM

There's a 21+ movie theater right here in Salt Lake City. They serve beer, food, and have a roomy bar area with pool tables and such. It seems they've done well for themselves, it's been around a few years now. Best promotion they had was when they got Malcolm McDowell to speak after a showing of "A Clockwork Orange."
Old 07-06-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
My rule would be - no children after 7PM will be admitted into a theater. A 2 hour movie would put them past their bed time anyway. Parents - if you can afford a movie ticket and a tub of popcorn, you can afford a babysitter for 3 hours.
Old 07-06-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Sounds like a great theater. Great marketing idea. I would choose this kind of theater over a theater that may have ammenities such as better seating or sound system.

The VIP room idea sounds great as well.
Old 07-06-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Great idea. Although i don't understand the 6 to 16 rule if they're showing PG13 movies. 6 to 13 would be fine.

The only problem is if there are no other theaters nearby for parents to take children.
Old 07-06-03, 01:05 PM

I've seen many movies at the Cinemark Palace theater, both with and without my two small kids, and here are some additonal relevant facts not expressed in the newspaper story:

* The Palace is located in the Plaza, a tourist-heavy, adult oriented dining and shopping district in midtown KC. We're not talking the suburbs here.

* Cinemark has a 20-screen theater in Merriam, Kansas, about 15 minutes away from the Palace and in a more suburban area. There is also a 14-screen AMC theater a few minutes away in south KC. I personally prefer the Merriam Cinemark theater, easier to park and get in and out of.

* The problem at the Palace was two-fold (1) people bringing babies and toddlers into PG-13 and R-rated movies, i.e. no babysitter, and (2) unsupervised teenagers hanging out in the theater for hours on end, playing video games in the arcade and hanging out in the lobby or in front of the building (the theater is on the 2nd and 3rd floors of a former mini-shopping mall, with a McDonalds and some retail shops on the first floor).

* As some of these aforementioned teenagers happen to be African-American, charges of racism have been leveled at Cinemark in the paper by some local residents. It's gotten a little ugly, but Cinemark doesn't appear to be backing down.

The people quoted in the story are from Wichita (3 hours away) and Chillicothe (2 hours away), so they were obviously tourists who were visiting the Plaza and wanted to catch a movie. For people who live in KC, given the number of screens available in the metro area (both AMC and Dickinson are headquartered here and KC I believe is #1 in screens per capita in the country), there are plenty of other options available and it should not really be a problem (at least in my opinion as a frequent Kansas City-moviegoer).

Last edited by stevek; 07-06-03 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 01:08 PM

Another thing some theaters are doing is having special "Baby-Friendly" showings to encourage people with small kids to go to those screenings instead of the general admission. From what I understand, they are wildly successful and help keep kids out of the other shows. Seems like a good compromise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.