Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Firewire vs. DVI (RPTV Question)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I've been told that before I get a new TV (I want to pick one up this week, an RPTV) I need to make sure it has firewire and DVI ports.

So...

A. What are they for
B. Are they both that important
C. Do I need both

Any info would be great!

Thanks
Old 07-03-03, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarantino,

This is an enormous subject which has been heavily debated for over a year now. I would recommend googling for it to learn further about the subject. I will try to give it to you in a nutshell.

Everything i state is to the best of my knowledge and fallible.

A. What are they for?

firewire and dvi are designed to transport digital data (audio/video) securely across devices (display device (lcd, tv, plasma, etc) to/from source (dvd, Satellite, etc).

Firewire uses 5-DCTP encryption while DVI uses HDCP encryption

DVI is being backed by Major Motion picture companies and those publishing dvd, video, etc

Firewire is being backed by Fair User rights activists and some major CE companies.

B. Are they both important?

The separate camps are deeply divided over importance of both connectors.

Firewire would protect the fair use rights of consumers in allowing the recording of material for private home use. Plus it can send both Audio and Video across one cable (as opposed to dvi, which requires a separate audio cable). I understand that development for firewire takes a little more time because of the additional programming involved in providing the GUI. But for manufacturing, firewire is cheaper because it doesn't require an mpeg decoder in each device.

DVI has greater bandwidth and therefore claim to be ready for higher bandwidth video streams. Most of Fixed Pixel displays (lcd, plasma) have DVI built in. I understand that Movie Houses like DVI better because of the greater bandwidth would reduce the risk of someone developing a device that would allow the bypassing the encryption and copying the content. DVI costs more to produce because it requires an mpeg decoder in each device but more cheaper to develop.

If possible, it would make sense to buy a set with both connectors. I don't know what kind of premium i would pay for having both, but i wouldn't discount a set for not having one or the other.

But if you find a set that has neither.... i would steer away from that.

There are more and more devices coming out with DVI, which makes it look like the clear winner in this battle. But i believe that firewire has many devices coming and overall would be more friendlier for the consumer.

C. Do i need both?

Like I said above, as long as you have one or the other, you should be safe. I personally have a set that has only firewire and i believe that it will be fine for the 5 to 6 years that i will use it.
There are some that say that DVI is better, others who believe that firewire rules them all. I like firewire better because of the lesser amount of cabling and the interface of the attached devices.

Some vendors that have both connectors are sony, rca scenium, hitachi and the upcoming mitsubishi (xx13 models)

If you'd like to read more about firewire and stuff, check out the mitsubishi website (mitsubishi-tv.com) They were one of the manufacturers who were behind firewire... they have an interesting explanation of firewire.

Also check out some of the other av websites such as hometheaterspot.com and avsforum.com

My final advice would be... do your homework... you'll feel alot better about your purchse. Good Luck!
Old 07-04-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, thanks for the advice.

I'll let you know what I get.
Old 07-04-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darthkim's descriptions are right on target. the only thing he didn't mention is that the DVI connection will probably be changing next year to HDMI which will include audio and be a physically smaller plug.
Old 07-05-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meaning that the DVI ports on TV's now will be obsolete? Or that there'll be an adaptor?
Old 07-05-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

check out the faq here.

i believe there will be an adaptor...but i'm pretty sure if your device is DVI capable you won't get the advanced features of HDMI.

"When will prototypes of HDMI products be available?
The CE industry is currently transitioning from DVI to HDMI connections. Backward- compatible with the DVI 1.0 specification, HDMI enables both multi-channel digital audio and uncompressed video transmission over a single cable and connector, and addressescontent providers' requirement for a secure interface to protect high-quality content fromunauthorized redistribution. We expect to see HDMI-based prototype devices in Q1 2003."
Old 07-05-03, 01:30 PM

Broadwayblue,

Thanks for clarifying the HDMI and dvi.

Tarantino,

There are some sets out there with a DVI port that are not HDCP compliant. If you are looking at a set that has dvi on it, make sure you see HDCP alongside the description.

For example many of the front projectors DVI ports are not hdcp compliant. (those geared for the business market)