Reload this Page >

New Spider-Man cartoon begins July 11th on MTV

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-03-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting July 11th on MTV, a new Spider-Man cartoon will premeire. It features Neil Patrick Harris as the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and is CG.

Superherohype.com reviewed one of the episodes. The review is available here and contains spoilers.

The CG animation is like nothing we’ve seen on TV before. It’s reminiscent of shows like Reboot, the Beast Machines and Max Steel so you get the idea. But the look is unique, it’s 3D but not in that PIXAR sort of way but more like a 2D animated show but in 3D, if that makes any sense.
For a show schedule, click here. I'm interested to see how it looks, as I was never impressed with the Beast Wars/Max Steele computer animation.
Old 07-03-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
this is the one that's set in the
Spoiler:
future
right? This has also been delayed like over a year, as I remember it was supposed to start airing when the 1st flick came out.
Old 07-03-03, 05:59 PM

I saw the commercial for it on MTV. The animation looked horrible. Way to japanimation inspired. I'll pass.
Old 07-03-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this one looks pretty odd. And MTV? O, yea, I'm sure that'll be the place for this. I won't be watching this one.
Old 07-03-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't be worse than the new Ren and Stimpy episodes.
Old 07-03-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read that this new Spiderman series is based on the Marvel comic Ultimate Spiderman.
Old 07-04-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The art in Ultimate Spider Man is beautiful, the art in the promos for this cartoon sucks. I agree with all the "horrible" comments. I used to be excited for this series...until I saw a commercial for it.

Why oh why can't Marvel throw some money at Bruce Timm and get him to do Spider Man?
Old 07-04-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I looks almost cel shaded in a sense like most video games now a days. it just doesn't look all that appealling.
Old 07-04-03, 02:08 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

EW gave it an A-. The best writer working in comics right now, Brian Michael Bendis, wrote a couple scripts for the show. He's the writer on Ultimate Spider-man, the best ongoing superhero comic right now. Mainframe, the company who has done some of the best computer animated shows ever on TV including Reboot and War Planets, did the animation on the Spider-man cartoon. I believe it's also been delayed for more than one and a half years. I think it was originally supposed to start late fall 2001.

To say I've been looking forward to this is an understatement. All that being said, though, I haven't liked the clips I've seen. I'm hoping the animation will grow on me, but I also didn't like the voice work from the clips I saw either. They hired a bunch of people in the music industry to do the voices and that worries me. I'll still watch the show, if for nothing else but to maybe get a little Bendis goodness even though I think there's been rewrites on his scripts.
Old 07-04-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MTV
Old 07-04-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
The animation looked unwatchable in the commercial I saw.
Old 07-04-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi
MTV
That's another reason to be leery about this. More than likely, it will shift time schedules several times during it's run so they can make more room for Real Life re-runs and teen slut beach parties. Why does MTV even try to show animation these days? It's obvious they don't care about animation at all.
Old 07-04-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Since it's on MTV, is spiderman going to poop on the carpet, have the spider logo on his costume blurred out, and drive a spider-mobile Escalade?
Old 07-04-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
The best writer working in comics right now, Brian Michael Bendis, wrote a couple scripts for the show. He's the writer on Ultimate Spider-man, the best ongoing superhero comic right now.

That's why I'll be tuning in.
Old 07-04-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like I will have to setup my computer to record this to DVD.

If this turns out to be any good, my record list is just going to get longer and longer.
Old 07-05-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Looks like I will have to setup my computer to record this to DVD.

If this turns out to be any good, my record list is just going to get longer and longer.
Bootleg.. bootleg. bootleg. danger danger...
Old 07-06-03, 02:08 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it possible that the animation has already grown on me before even seeing an episode? I was just watching mtv and saw the commercial again and liked it this time. The only thing that bugs me is the Kingpin. He looks a little odd and his animation seems bad. I must keep catching the end of the commercial since there's 2 shots of the Kingpin at the end.

I also didn't even notice that I actually like Doogie's voice in the promo too. Before I saw any commercials for the show, I saw a clip on Kilborn's show and I thought the voicework sounded bad there.
Old 07-06-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it doesn't involve "reality TV" in some shape, way, or form; MTV won't show all the episodes of the first season or will just cancel it after the first season.

I still want to kick MTV's ass after cancelling Now What? and Clone High.
Old 07-08-03, 11:49 AM
MrN

Is this still on? My TIVO seems to think its not airing on July 11.
Old 07-08-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by nny
EW gave it an A-. The best writer working in comics right now, Brian Michael Bendis, wrote a couple scripts for the show. He's the writer on Ultimate Spider-man, the best ongoing superhero comic right now.

uh, EW also gave Ren and Stimpy a B.. I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw it.
Old 07-08-03, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by MrN
Is this still on? My TIVO seems to think its not airing on July 11.
Yes, you have to re-setup your Season pass though. A few days ago TiVo changed it from a single spider-man on both ABC Family and MTV to a seperate on for each.

For those of you recording this, MTV is famous for starting and ending their shows late. Set your recordings for at least 3-5 minutes pad at the end of the show.
Old 07-09-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kiljin
Yes, you have to re-setup your Season pass though. A few days ago TiVo changed it from a single spider-man on both ABC Family and MTV to a seperate on for each.

For those of you recording this, MTV is famous for starting and ending their shows late. Set your recordings for at least 3-5 minutes pad at the end of the show.
Which might make things difficult for a season pass considering it looks to be two shows on Friday.

I think I might have to go the manual recording route: it keeps showing up on a daily basis because TiVo doesn't know it's the same episodes over and over and over.....
Old 07-10-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brian Michael Bendis. An amazing writer, and everything he touches turns to gold so I will be watching. It can't be too bad--granted it's MTV, but they did put out Beavis & Butthead and I enjoyed the hell out of that show.
Old 07-10-03, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Brian Michael Bendis. An amazing writer, and everything he touches turns to gold so I will be watching.
Oh, the writing is not what is worrying me. I know without a doubt that the stories will be great; it is the CG animation that leaves me a tad nervous...
Old 07-10-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw a commercial for this a couple days back....OMG does it look bad.

It could a literary masterwork, but I wouldn't watch, it looks that bad!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.