Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Should DVD's retain original poster art?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that all DVD's should retain the original theatrical one-sheet poster art. Except for the special extended cuts of films like the Lord of the Rings movies, or TV shows, music video releases.

Just look at some recent releases where they come up with some really bad cover art. Where the original poster would have made a way better cover than the one the studio made up.

Can you imagine if and/ or when the Original Star Wars Trilogy gets released the cover art that they will use?

What do you think?
Old 07-02-03, 10:40 PM
Banned

I'd imagine that the original Trilogy will have boxart similar to that of Episode one and two.

Bleh, I'll still buy it.
Old 07-02-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the original poster art was good, then yes.

For Star Wars, did anyone see the 2000 VHS box art covers? I suspect it may have the same art. Why? It's in keeping with the prequel DVDs. Pretty much versions of the Struzan artwork with actual photos instead.
Old 07-02-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Should DVD's retain original poster art?

Almost 100% of the time, yes.

Poster art tends to be given a lot more thought than the typical (Photoshop, cut+paste) DVD covers. In nearly every case, the original poster is a better artistic representation of the movie.

But studios seems stuck on the concept that Big Celebrity Heads = Big DVD Sales.

What do I know? Maybe they're right... but that doesn't change the fact that the poster art is better and much more 'timeless'.
Old 07-02-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it'd be nice, but I doubt it'll happen. Sometime it's nicer not to have the original poster art, like with Rushmore: Criterion. I prefer that image more than the poster. Though overall, I do believe it would be nice having the original poster art as the DVD cover, if not; then as an insert, even if not that; then with some sort of image gallery feature.
Old 07-03-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Normally, I would say I don't care. But, lately, DVDs have had "big head syndrome."

Now, the heads on the Star Wars and LOTR DVDs are not that huge at all (especially when compared to Gangs of New York and Real Genius).

I imagine we won't be seeing the SW:SE art again. I think we'll be getting covers which look like the DVD covers for Ep I & II.

Old 07-03-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the time yes, but sometimes what works at 27 X 41 inches doesn't work as well at 5 X 7 inches.
Old 07-03-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

YES!!
Old 07-03-03, 01:54 AM

Yes, DVD should retain original poster art. Because the covers for the Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 DVDs are very bad.
Old 07-03-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am tired of all the photoshop-looking-crap rolling off the assembly line these days. Filmmakers select poster art for their picture that best reflects the overall key elements of the film. When it's released on video & DVD it seems to me that studios just don't give a crap and sellout artistic and/or creative vision for what THEY consider to be a BETTER marketing approach for consumers. THIS IS UTTER CRAP! A terrific example is this:

Here is the original poster art for Columbia Pictures' IDENTITY

Here is what they are using for the video & DVD release:

Come on, this is such a disappointment!
Old 07-03-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish the Star Wars DVD would look like this:
Old 07-03-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HELL

YES

For all the reasons already mentioned! On the other hand, it doesn't impact my buying anything, nor do I use custom covers at all.
Old 07-03-03, 09:31 AM

that identity looks terrible compared to the movie poster.. recent movies though: gangs of NY - BAD; punch drunk love/adaptation - GOOD

for anyone has seen punch drunk love, the cover of that set actually relates to the movie (subdued, lonely, subtle, etc.) imagine if it had a picture of barry's workplace at the bottom (like the identity cover) and 3-5 big heads on it with their names written above.. i agree with douglasrobert, try atbest to use or adapt from the theatrical poster. heck they know people buy movie posters themselves so they should know people dig the art, but hollywood still has to market itself by adding familiar icons to covers
Old 07-03-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Old 07-03-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As long as the movie is in good quality and on dvd.. I'm all good with it just coming in a paper bag cover.
Old 07-03-03, 10:03 AM

Nothing to add, but I wanted to chime in with "Yes" original poster art!!!
Old 07-03-03, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Most of the time yes, but sometimes what works at 27 X 41 inches doesn't work as well at 5 X 7 inches.
Agreed...most theatrical one-sheets DO beat their DVD cover counterparts, but there is so much more detail (potentially) in a 27x40 print that may get lost and just look blurry when scaled down. But in general, I agree!
Old 07-03-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really wish movies would keep the original artwork--so many movies have excellent prints but the dvd just discards them. I would have loved to have seen Drew Struzan's artwork for Harry Potter: COS but they had to go with the "big head" artwork. The same goes for EP 1 and 2--I loved the artwork done for the posters, but the dvd just discards it completely! I'm glad we have the ability to make custom covers for this reason alone.
Old 07-03-03, 11:47 AM

I agree, they should keep the original poster artwork or original VHS artwork. The ones that come to mind immediately for their horrific DVD covers are The Goonies, A Christmas Story, Brighton Beach Memoirs, The Natural, Better Off Dead, One Crazy SUmmer and so many others. Keep the original artwork, size it down, lift the p[rimariy images and font and create a new background if you wish, just please leave it as it was intended.
Old 07-03-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the widescreen version on VHS case covers, the DVD covers is Full Screen (at least the cover are not Pan and Scan).
Old 07-03-03, 01:57 PM

Re: Should DVD's retain original poster art?

Yes. &nbsp I find that 99% of the time I prefer the original poster art to the DVD covers.
Old 07-03-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also want the original artwork!

If the studio feels that artwork other than the original poster art is needed to market the DVD, then how about making a reversible cover. Put the new cover art on one side, and the original poster art on the other. Let the consumer decide which image to display. Or at the very least they could give us an insert inside the case with the original poster art .
Old 07-03-03, 06:03 PM

Look at what they did with 'THE PIANIST'. That the ugliest DVD so far in my book. Wish they used the original movie poster. Simple and beautiful.
Old 07-03-03, 08:15 PM
mwj

Long live the big heads. Seriously I wish they would just stick with the original art.
Old 07-03-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
As long as the movie is in good quality and on dvd.. I'm all good with it just coming in a paper bag cover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.