Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Would you return a DVD because of a damaged insert?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Popeye last week, and got around to watching it on Sunday. Opening it up, I noticed on the back cover, a slit was cut into the upper part of the insert. Underneath the insert, the store had put a security sticker, supposedly to deter theft, as if the security stickers on the outside wasn't enough. Peeved, I thought seriously about returning it and exchanging it for one with an insert that has not been cut.

The store I got it from, I found out, does this to ALL their DVDs. I was going to buy Gangs of New York from them, but saw that all the inserts on the back had been cut, and some pretty bad, all to put security stickers under insert. Inquiring about it, I was told the store manager was doing this to all the new DVDs to help stop theft. Curious, since most of the theft that occurs there are by people who rip off the shrink wrap and steal just the disc, leaving the case, and security sticker under the insert, in the store.

I simply told them they could keep their DVDs. The slothful Joe Six Pack may not care about this, but I do. The manager seemed surprised by my refusal to buy Gangs of New York from them, so I pointed out why would I spend money for something that has been damaged?

And what also peeves me about Popeye is that I placed it as a special order. They didn't get any copies in for their shelves. However, when I went in there to pick it up, they had put the special order on the shelf. Special orders are not subject to the cut and insert sticker treatment the other DVDs are, since they do not go to the shelf and stay behind the counter. Nor are they prepped for sale in anyway, but mine was since some moron didn't notice it was a special order and cut the insert up and put it on the shelf.

I have returned a DVD before for a bad insert. It was the Criterion Collection of Straw Dogs (got it from a different store) and in that instance, it was my fault. The insert had gotten wet and became warped, but the store had no problems with me doing an even exchange for it.

To me a DVD package includes everything, the disc inside and the insert. If the disc inside is scratched or damaged, people return it without much thought, but what about damaged inserts, especially when the store is at fault?
Old 07-02-03, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you. Plus, if you ever want to sell the thing some day, it is in your best interest to have the disc "and" packaging in top condition, with no cuts or slits. I would take the movie back and have them reorder another. You have a damaged product. That's what I would do. Hell, it takes me forever to pick out a Warner title in the store, since those Godawful cardboard cases sometimes have all kinds of marks all over the front covers from rough handling. I would certainly never buy DVDs from that store. By the way, what is the name of the store? I'd like to know so that the next time I'm visiting K-PAX I can avoid it.
Old 07-02-03, 10:15 PM

Jesus, what store is that, let me know so I wont shop there, is it a Chain like BB or what??
Old 07-02-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MarcinL
Jesus, what store is that, let me know so I wont shop there, is it a Chain like BB or what??
It's a Blockbuster. Tho the putting the security sticker under the cover is their thing they decided to do, so I don't think it's a coroporate thing. The store manager came up with the idea for them to do it.
Old 07-02-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That store is selling damaged goods without informing the consumer. He should be closed down.
Old 07-02-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
That's messed up. I'd return the DVD, too. I would flat out refuse to purchase a DVD that was physically damaged by the store to deter theft.

There's one record store that used to tear holes in their boxed sets and put security tags in them. I remember they had a Misfits boxed set -- the box is in the shape of a coffin -- and someone in the store had opened the shrinkwrap and ripped a corner of the box open. I mean actually tore a side of the box open, damaged it, to poke a little plastic security tag into it. To add insult to injury, they had the thing marked at twenty dollars more than MSRP.
Old 07-02-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Once they "opened" the DVD to insert the security sticker, I would consider that DVD used.... and it should've been sold as such. I'd take it back... or at the very least, they owe you some money for fraudulently selling this as "new".
Old 07-02-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Inserts are lame.
Old 07-02-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless there was something wrong with the playback, or the case was badly damaged, I wouldn't go out of my way to return it; unless I had nothing better to do.
The only problem I've had, was when I bought Meet The Parents awhile back when it was released, and a couple of the black prongs in the case were broken off. The disc still fit in the case, and it played fine; so I just left it as is.
Old 07-03-03, 12:18 AM
Banned

They need to invest in those spiffy plastic security cases and you need to find better stores to shop in.
Old 07-03-03, 12:52 AM

No, I'm sort of a shy person (yes, very lame) and avoid returning things unless the disc itself is messed up. I wouldn't continue getting DVDs from that place if they're messing with the merchandise though.
Old 07-03-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, no.
Old 07-03-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Send the manufacturer a polite email describing the situation.

I did this for a DVD that was missing an insert and the studio sent me one at their expense.
Old 07-03-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
My initial reply (based on topic) would have been "No. I couldn't be bothered to return it for that." Then I read your post, and saw that they were deliberately doing it to put their stupid security sticker, and absolutely I would. I'd also complain to Blockbuster corporate about it.

If it was just a randomly damaged insert, I wouldn't bother returning it, but this is a special case.
Old 07-03-03, 12:48 PM
Banned

I never even look at the insert so probably no.
Old 07-03-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your terminology is confusing some of the people responding - you specifically mean the COVER. When most people hear "insert" they take it as the slip or booklet inside the case. (I'm sure you knew that, but this is for the benefit of those people not bothering to read your post, only your thread title.)

Yes. I'd consider it a damaged package and want a new one. If I found a damaged insert, it's not likely, unless it was an 8-page booklet that I found ripped in half or something!
Old 07-03-03, 02:20 PM

For an insert? It depends on how badly, a rip, nope, torn in half with dried spit on it, okay then I might consider it
Old 07-03-03, 03:43 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can't sleep because of the damaged insert, yeah go ahead and exchange it. Otherwise, leave it and forget it
Old 07-03-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Would you return a DVD because of a damaged insert?

Originally posted by calhoun07

I have returned a DVD before for a bad insert. It was the Criterion Collection of Straw Dogs (got it from a different store) and in that instance, it was my fault. The insert had gotten wet and became warped, but the store had no problems with me doing an even exchange for it.

I crashed my Honda into a telephone pole while drunk, but I just took it to the nearest Honda dealer and they did an even exhange for it...

Last edited by slop101; 07-03-03 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Would you return a DVD because of a damaged insert?

Originally posted by slop101
I crashed my Honda into a telephone pole while drunk, but I just took it to the nearest Honda dealer and they did an even exhange for it...
Yeah, that's a fair analogy.

Of course, if you do have a problem with Best Buy's return policies, or any other stores for that matter, contact them, don't make fun of people who take advantage of them. I've known people who have taken junk back to Wal Mart two years after purchasing the thing and doing even exchanges. Don't like it? Tell Wal Mart. As long as these stores let it happen, it's going to happen, so get over it. And if you think that's bad, I was in a Shopko not too long ago and saw they are guaranteeding kids' clothes for FIVE YEARS. No matter the condition it gets in, the parents can bring it in and exchange it. Even if the kid rips it, spills something to stain it or pisses in it.

Of course, you do realize that 99.9% of returns/exchanges to stores are not the stores' fault. It's either due to the manufactuer or due to customer f' up. Mine was due to customer f' up. The Popeye one is due to store f' up for a change.

I am not losing sleep over it. In fact, I was going to keep the disc until I went back there to get Gangs of New York and I looked closer at the inserts. Most of them were really badly cut, not just the little slit at the top like on mine. I thought more seriously about returning the Popeye DVD, not because it causes me to lose sleep, but to send a message to the store that people do notice and do care (of course, the majority of them do nothing, but that's another topic all together) and to make a point, nothing else. And let them know why I am taking my business elsewhere.

Oh, and I realized it was "cover" for the proper terminology after I posted my message, but I was thinking of it as an "insert" since you insert it under the plastic cover on a keep case.

They need to invest in those spiffy plastic security cases
They do. The Gangs of New York DVDs and all their new DVDs are locked in plastic security cases for at least the first 30 days after they get the DVD in.
Old 07-04-03, 10:26 AM

I probably won't return a DVD for damaged inserts but I would if the cover art was damaged. You won't be able to resell or trade them. Also try shaking the DVD case before buying it......sometimes the disc is not secured on the hub either due to a broken hub or a fault in production.....you either get a scratched dvd or a broken case....saves you the trouble of returning it. Happened to me 3 times already with Criterion ed. of Silence of the Lambs, Robocop and WB's The Fugitive.
Old 07-04-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would contact the corporate office (if it's a chain) or the owner of the store (if a small shop) and complain.
Old 07-06-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Would you return a DVD because of a damaged insert?

Originally posted by calhoun07
Yeah, that's a fair analogy.

Of course, if you do have a problem with Best Buy's return policies, or any other stores for that matter, contact them, don't make fun of people who take advantage of them.
Don't get your panties in a bunch - I was just havin' some fun.

I'd probably do the same thing.