Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

This forum's interest in the trivial aspects of DVD.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread, but it's something I need to get off my chest. It's something I've noticed since the day I joined, but seems to be becoming more and more apparent lately. What I'm talking about is the way the forum seems to be more interested in trivial, superficial things than we are with the content of the DVD (ie. the stuff that actually matters). I don't think anyone would disagree with me on this. Just go through the first few pages of DVDTalk and see how many of the posts are based upon either talking about missing inserts, complaining about poorly made cases, or whining about cover art. Notice that the missing insert thread is going on 7 pages. And don't even get me started on the replacement cover threads. What is it at now, part XXII?

I remember when the Pulp Fiction SE came out. We had been anticipating this release for God knows how long. It was one of the most talked about releases ever. Then, the day it came out, all the forum could talk about was how bad the cardboard case was or how dumb it was that the "$5 shake" was left off the little menu. I remember countless threads on the matter, and hardly any on the DVD itself. Or consider the Evil Dead: BotD discussions. I would bet that a good 75% of them had to do with how smelly the rubber case was.

Why are we like this? Is there really so little to talk about that we must resort to petty discussions about incredibly inconsequential matters? Or perhaps this is just a part of a collector's mentality; that the little things are just as important as the big things? I'm not saying there aren't any good, practical discussions going on here. But it seems they often take a back seat to the topics of little or no significance. But then maybe it's just me. Maybe you guys truly enjoy participating in endless discussions about inserts.
Old 07-02-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As the guy in charge of the "Does this DVD have an insert thread", I guess I'll be the first to respond.

I have to agree with you that many of these threads are about petty stuff that I just shake my head about. But why am I concerned about little things like inserts? For two reasons. The first is that I'm a completist....if it's supposed to have an insert, I want one. Second, because I'm a collector, and as you said, "the little things matter" because I'm collecting.

I try to avoid the discussions about stupid cardboard cases, and smelly cases and all that stuff. In fact, many times, I don't even feel the need to talk about a DVD release at all.

On the other hand, why the distain for the replacement cover threads and the like? Shouldn't collectors be able to pursue their hobbies in any manner they want, so to speak? I mean, just look at a site like Paul Champagne's and you'll see the extent to which people take collecting DVDs.

My theory, in short (too late)...to each his own.
Old 07-02-03, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by imp66

On the other hand, why the distain for the replacement cover threads and the like? Shouldn't collectors be able to pursue their hobbies in any manner they want, so to speak? I mean, just look at a site like Paul Champagne's and you'll see the extent to which people take collecting DVDs.
Good point. I suppose I am different from you in that I consider those cover replacement threads just as petty as the insert threads. I guess it's just because I personally have no interest in modifying my collection in any way. Or maybe it's the disproportion of it all; It seems like we are much more interested in these things than we should be. But like you say, to each his own.
Old 07-02-03, 06:58 PM

I believe it's called Collectors Mentality. Get a bunch of people together who collect anything, whether it be stamps, baseball cards, action figures, beenie babies, hummels, etc. and they're going to talk about every little aspect of what they collect.

A lot of it will seem petty to others, but where else are dvd fans supposed to talk about: the best hubs, most annoying packaging, good dvd transfers, mastering mistakes, why some TV shows cost twice as much as others, etc.? Sure a lot of the things people talk about here are nit-picks- But they are also little things that wouldn't cost too much to change in the future, and if changed could improve how people respond to future DVD releases.

I'd like to think that someone with the power to change these little things is reading boards like this and getting ideas for how things could change in future releases. I know that last point is a longshot, but at least we have fun talking about our hobby in the meantime.
Old 07-02-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caiman-

I agree with a lot of the general sentiments you have towards how this forum tends to work and am guilty in a lot of respects of the 'collector' mentality myself and perhaps don't help matters in your eyes.
The one thing i like about this forum is that it is generally accessible to anyone...regardless of whether they are a film student graduates or someone who is picking up their first DVD with their first DVD player...this forum encourages everyone to get involved!...it's all about discussion and surely even the most informed information can stem from what is deemed to be trivial initially.
Just my thoughts anyway on the matter
Old 07-02-03, 07:18 PM

It seems like the real reason for all the pettiness is that there isn't quite as much to bitch about in regards to the content of DVDs. Most new releases feature decent audio, video and supplements. The ones that don't probably have a thread about the problems.

Frankly, when stupid things like inserts and cover art are the issues we take exception with, then DVDing is in a good state.
Old 07-02-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Good point. I suppose I am different from you in that I consider those cover replacement threads just as petty as the insert threads. I guess it's just because I personally have no interest in modifying my collection in any way. Or maybe it's the disproportion of it all; It seems like we are much more interested in these things than we should be. But like you say, to each his own.
I personally have no interest in modifying my covers either. I am guilty of drooling over Paul's custom cases though.
Old 07-02-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not trying to diss anyone since I have been guilty of this my self (remeber the 5 page discussion about the words anthrax and slap being cut from the 8 mile uncensored dvd), but some of the things we have complained about is a little wierd. 3 frames from who framed roger rabbit, the 5 second blur durring muholland drive, the 4 shorts not on the mr bean set ect. But even durring those, we normally have very intellegeint conversations normally between two or 3 posters going on with their points.
Old 07-02-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What? We've run out of petty topics to complain about so now we have to complain about complaining about petty topics?
Old 07-02-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think part of the problem is DVD in general is so amazingly cool.

I mean think about it... the picture/sound quality on most releases is amazing. Most DVDs ship with more extras than we could ever hope for. And I've lost count of the number of releases that were on my "this'll never come out" list, that have nonetheless been released (usually with an audio commentary and deleted scenes).

800 threads that all say "Wow, isn't Pulp Fiction da bomb!" is boring.

So, consequently, people sometimes focus on the trivial. 98% of releases are great, so why not focus on that 2% in an attempt to get studios to improve? Nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-02-03, 09:13 PM

I'm not going to respond to all your gripes, but I find the "Does this DVD have an insert thread" to very useful. I'm consistently updating my collection by selling discs I no longer want or would like to upgrade. When I sell a disc I am completely honest about the DVD as well as the case and insert. Just beacuse you don't find something useful doesn't means others don't.

I don't find the DVD cover art threads useful at all since I have no desire to alter my covers either. However, I find it neat to have the original poster art on the cover of a DVD than some crappy cover with giant heads whose only purpose is to get the attention of the average consumer who is only familiar with household name actors.

Lastly, seeing as how this is a DVD/movie forum, obviously members are going to be very critical about the quality of the DVDs and every aspect that goes along with them. While I don't care to read a majority of the threads on DVDTALK I can appreciate the enthusiasm and discussions that appear in them.
Old 07-02-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by bboisvert
I think part of the problem is DVD in general is so amazingly cool.

I mean think about it... the picture/sound quality on most releases is amazing. Most DVDs ship with more extras than we could ever hope for. And I've lost count of the number of releases that were on my "this'll never come out" list, that have nonetheless been released (usually with an audio commentary and deleted scenes).

800 threads that all say "Wow, isn't Pulp Fiction da bomb!" is boring.

So, consequently, people sometimes focus on the trivial. 98% of releases are great, so why not focus on that 2% in an attempt to get studios to improve? Nothing wrong with that.
I agree wholeheartedly.......
Old 07-02-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look here, we're internet nerds. What were you expecting?
Old 07-02-03, 09:44 PM

As much as i agree with much of caiman's (thanks for your honesty buddy--im sure sum of us have been harbouring that for a long time now!) sentiments about triviality and pettiness of DVD talk, i think its also inevitable because for a large segment of us, DVDs have evolved to a hobby. An obssessive hobby. Like a biologist over a microscope not wanting to miss the minutest of details. Think of it as an idiosyncracy if you will. Im sure all of us have our own, dvd-related or not...

Trust me i have seen worse, i also partake but hardly engage in another forum for luxury watches... where grown men do nothing but post pictures and back-slap to congratulate each other for their "acquisitions" but they also marvel and contemplate about the different intricate movements and workmanship of these master designers...

All in all, at the end of the day, i suppose its not whats out there, but what you choose whats relevant for you.

my 2¢s....
Or, a French would say: "A chacun son gout."
A Greek:"Suum cuique"
Or -my favorite- a Jamaican would say: "Every hoe ha dem stick a bush."
Old 07-02-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

for what it's worth....I consider myself a film collector, regardless of the format and really dont care about inserts(unless they are booklets), big headed cover art or the pakaging. I take what I get...and as long as I get the film....whatever else happens...happens. my only concern is getting a decent looking transfer, when possible, and the longevity/quality of the disc itself.
Old 07-02-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not big on inserts. Most of them seem to be a waste of paper to me. So I despise seeing 6000 threads about "Is there an insert in here?", and so when the "Official Insert" thread showed up, I was pleased as could be. My hats off to the person who started that thread (I thought I saw them post in this thread).

While I like and dislike some of my covers that come with the DVD, and would like to replace some, I'm simply too lazy (and don't have quality printer, $ to buy one etc.). In fact, I'm so lazy I've never been into the cover thread, and I've never been in the Insert thread because...well...just because.

I guess the point is as long as it doesn't excessively take over too many threads (like the official "DVD Cover" and "Insert" threads, then it's cool....but nothing worse than scrolling by 5 or 6 threads of insert references.

Note to self: start thread to complain about those who complain about complaining (or something like that).
Old 07-02-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
for what it's worth....I consider myself a film collector, regardless of the format and really dont care about inserts(unless they are booklets), big headed cover art or the pakaging. I take what I get...and as long as I get the film....whatever else happens...happens. my only concern is getting a decent looking transfer, when possible, and the longevity/quality of the disc itself.
What he said.

Another thing I noticed is the whining about movies not yet on DVD, and released dates missed, and why hasn't my DVD shipped, and etc... In this world of instant gratification people seem to have developed an allergy to waiting and seem to spend more time agonizing over DVD's they don't have than enjoying the ones they do have. I mean come on, I can understand that you might want your favorite film of all time to be released on DVD but with what, over 10? 15? thousand films now released on DVD in R1 alone, you can't find any other films to keep you occupied? I suggest yoga and meditation instead of accumulating stress worrying over stuff you have no control over.
Old 07-03-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of the above, and this observation: when we talk about the movie itself, it goes into Movie Talk, not here. Maybe you need to spend more time in that section instead of this?
Old 07-03-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
We are like this because we actually take the time to post on an internet forum about dvd's. this would be like an X-files fan club talking about every little meaning in the show. we are freaks.

besides, if you have to ask, you should just remember that this same group of people will drive out of their way and argue with store managers to price match dvd prices in most case saving only a dollar or two.. Our time in the grand scheme of it.. isn't worth much.
Old 07-03-03, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by shill66
All of the above, and this observation: when we talk about the movie itself, it goes into Movie Talk, not here. Maybe you need to spend more time in that section instead of this?
Actually, I do spend more time there. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Last edited by caiman; 07-03-03 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 07:51 AM

caiman, I agree with most of your comments. And, imp66, you have a great point about the "collector mentality".

I have been reading this forum for a lot long than I have been posting on it, and I have found it to be a wealth of information with regards to everything from DVD rot to disc replacements to free DVD deals to new release rumors to the differences between rereleased titles. Because of this forum, I am often able to make a more informed purchase... and I appreciate that. I generally skip over any threads regarding the "trivial" topics caiman mentions. They are of little to no interest to me and I choose not to be bothered with them. But that choice is the beauty of the forum. You only need to join in the conversations you want to.

Of course, a little nonsense every now and again never hurt anyone, and if danol ever gets banned from posting, I'm outta here.
Old 07-03-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Actually, I do spend more time there. But that's not what I'm talking about.
Oh, sorry, I thought it was, at least in part. This is what you said:

Initial post by caiman What I'm talking about is the way the forum seems to be more interested in trivial, superficial things than we are with the content of the DVD (ie. the stuff that actually matters).
So you're strictly talking about extras, menus, authoring, easter eggs, that sort of thing? Hang the movie?
Old 07-03-03, 10:17 AM

This is a forum dedicated to all aspects of DVDs and DVD collecting. If a certain number of posts discuss ultimately trivial matters like inserts and box art, then so be it. I've come to realize that the folks on this forum are not like other people. We're all collectors and as such are very obsessive about our hobby which makes things that the average Joe on the street wouldn't think twice about very important to us. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-03-03, 11:54 AM

Where can I buy DVD Trivial aspects on DVD Talk Forum on DVD?
Old 07-03-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by billy9215
Where can I buy DVD Trivial aspects on DVD Talk Forum on DVD?
Try eBay, but be warned: You're going to pay at least $75 to $100.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.