Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 rumors

Old 07-02-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 rumors

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere but there have been a few reports this morning. This one is from
the magic box:

A developer of Sony has mentioned some tidbits on the PlayStation line of consoles. PlayStation 3 will be backward compatible with PS2, but will no longer backward compatible with PSone, and the PSone production will be stopped in 2005. Sony intends to support 2 consoles on the market at the same time, e.g. PS2 and PSone, PS3 and PS2.

The PlayStation Portable PSP will launch in 4th quarter of 2004, the Universal Media Disc will be smaller than GameCube mini-DVDs and PC mini-CDRs on the market, it will have 64MB of Memory, MP3 support, limited PDA functionality and USB 2.0 interface for data download.

PSX is a Sony Corp. product, not SCE, it will be marketed as a home theater entertainment component, the retail price will be roughly at $850 or 102,000 yen.

I guess if the PS2 was still on the market in 2005 then technically the PSone would still be alive through backwards compatibility so developers could still make games for it (although who would want to?). I wonder if they are going to have the same controller and memory card slots on the PS3?
Old 07-02-03, 01:28 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
So let me get this straight, I'd have to repurchase my PSOne games again to fit into the PSP?
Old 07-02-03, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Goldberg74
So let me get this straight, I'd have to repurchase my PSOne games again to fit into the PSP?
Bartender, I'll have a Gameboy Advance with a twist

FS
Old 07-02-03, 02:21 PM
Needs to provide a working email

With the amount of computing power they are supposed to be putting into the PS3, you should be able to emulate a Mac that is emulating a PC that is emulating an X-Box that is emulating a PS1.
Old 07-02-03, 02:23 PM
Banned

Re: PS3 rumors

Originally posted by The Franchise
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere but there have been a few reports this morning. This one is from
the magic box:

A developer of Sony has mentioned some tidbits on the PlayStation line of consoles. PlayStation 3 will be backward compatible with PS2, but will no longer backward compatible with PSone, and the PSone production will be stopped in 2005. Sony intends to support 2 consoles on the market at the same time, e.g. PS2 and PSone, PS3 and PS2.

The PlayStation Portable PSP will launch in 4th quarter of 2004, the Universal Media Disc will be smaller than GameCube mini-DVDs and PC mini-CDRs on the market, it will have 64MB of Memory, MP3 support, limited PDA functionality and USB 2.0 interface for data download.

PSX is a Sony Corp. product, not SCE, it will be marketed as a home theater entertainment component, the retail price will be roughly at $850 or 102,000 yen.

I guess if the PS2 was still on the market in 2005 then technically the PSone would still be alive through backwards compatibility so developers could still make games for it (although who would want to?). I wonder if they are going to have the same controller and memory card slots on the PS3?
These rumors have not been confirmed by Sony. These rumors came from a page which failed to mention the UMD (I see The Magicbox has added that), which just shows how incorrect they are.

If these rumors had a shred of evidence, I would believe them, but as they are, there is nothing to back it up except a web page which has no authority on the subject.

EDIT: http://www.action4life.com/cms/hardware/SonysPlans.php
Old 07-02-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: PS3 rumors

Originally posted by joshd2012
These rumors have not been confirmed by Sony. These rumors came from a page which failed to mention the UMD (I see The Magicbox has added that), which just shows how incorrect they are.

If these rumors had a shred of evidence, I would believe them, but as they are, there is nothing to back it up except a web page which has no authority on the subject.

EDIT: http://www.action4life.com/cms/hardware/SonysPlans.php
That's the great thing about rumors! They're just, uh, rumors. I'm confused why you included the action4life.com link at the end of your post. Are they the authority on this sort of thing? Or do you believe their post more than the magicbox? I'm confused.

Also, Goldberg74, yeah you'd have to repurchase your PSone games again although they'd be cheaper due to the fact that they'll be older and on the supposedly inexpensive UMD's. It's no different from GBA users "repurchasing" SNES games for thir GBA's.
Old 07-02-03, 03:19 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: PS3 rumors

That's the great thing about rumors! They're just, uh, rumors. I'm confused why you included the action4life.com link at the end of your post. Are they the authority on this sort of thing? Or do you believe their post more than the magicbox? I'm confused.
That is the original post that The Magicbox got their information from. I don't trust that page at all, which is my point why I can't believe anything they say. They made it vague enough where they can't be held accountable. And BTW, I am the authority on these sort of things
Old 07-02-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: PS3 rumors

It's no different from GBA users "repurchasing" SNES games for thir GBA's.
Except that the SNES games we're repurchasing are actually good games! *rimshot*

Okay, okay.. I know.. *lowers head in shame* I couldn't help it.
Old 07-02-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: PS3 rumors

Originally posted by pixyboi
Except that the SNES games we're repurchasing are actually good games! *rimshot*

Good games are worth rebuying. There are a few PSone games that fit into the category as well.
Old 07-02-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
I was just thinking that there should a thread like this

I read in a game magazine that it would take around 400 Pentium processors to equal the power of the PS3 processing power
Old 07-02-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
afaik - that's completely untrue about the PS3 not supporting the PS1 games. I'm gonna go ahead and file this under fiction.
Old 07-02-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: PS3 rumors

Originally posted by pixyboi

Your pseudo-bashing posts always crack me up. My favorite was the thing about a Final Fantasy with 1 minute of gameplay followed by 4 hours of cut-scenes. Hilarious.

Seriously though, a game like GT2 or Vagrant Story or Intelligent Qube would be great on the go. On the plane or train or, uh, automobile.

By the way I heard the PS3 is going to have X-aplha tri-linear mapping with multiframe pseudo random gaussian Z-buffering, 17 Terabytes of L2 DDR 2300 Hyper cache, and completely nonsensical mip-map alpha flash hyperthreading technology. The first game out will be Mahjong online.
Old 07-02-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
With the amount of computing power they are supposed to be putting into the PS3, you should be able to emulate a Mac that is emulating a PC that is emulating an X-Box that is emulating a PS1.
Old 07-02-03, 06:19 PM
Banned

I may have to retract my statements here. After me and the guys were laughing about how fake this all looked, the tech guy chimed in to say that it was very possible and practical. Damn him and his knowledge. So up on our site it goes. I'm still waiting for a technical explanation from him before I am fully convinced.
Old 07-03-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The rumor mill picks up more steam.... I wonder if developers have dev tools? If so, then that would mean there are already "specs" on the PS3's performance capability. Interesting indeed.
Old 07-03-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
it's still not true.
Old 07-03-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PS3 rumors

Your pseudo-bashing posts always crack me up. My favorite was the thing about a Final Fantasy with 1 minute of gameplay followed by 4 hours of cut-scenes. Hilarious.

Seriously though, a game like GT2 or Vagrant Story or Intelligent Qube would be great on the go. On the plane or train or, uh, automobile.
Thanks!!
I do have a good handful of PS1 games I'd deem worthy of re-purchase, however I'm not sure if I can think of many that are suitable for "on-the-go" or "on-the-toilet" play. I'd rebuy Lunar 1 and 2 again (hell, second time I bought these anyway, Sega CD represent).. Namco's Tales series is fun too. However, those being RPGs though, they usually require a little more time to play. I would say Mr Driller would be my #1 choice of a PS1 game to repurchase for a portable but I've already got Mr Driller 2 and Mr Driller A on my Gameboy Advance.
Old 07-03-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wrong... it wasn't 400 Pentium 1's... it was 100 Pentium 4's (= the new Sony processor).

This time I am buying at launch, darn it. Unless they are $300 a piece

I find RPGs to be awesome for portable gaming, since it kills a bunch of hours at work. Although that may change since I just applied to be a 911 operator and there'd be no downtime there. They'd have to offer me at least 10k to move, though, so we'll see
Old 07-03-03, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still will never buy a PSP unless its less then $100, and they have decent games. Im very content with GBA SP and thye choice over thousand and thousands of games.
Old 07-03-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uhm thousands and thousands? I don't think there are over 2k games Around 1.5k including GBC and GB, I believe.
Old 07-03-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
I was wrong... it wasn't 400 Pentium 1's... it was 100 Pentium 4's (= the new Sony processor).

This time I am buying at launch, darn it. Unless they are $300 a piece
Two things to count on:
1) It will be $300+ at launch
2) The machine is never as good as the hype. 100 P4s? Yeah right.