Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gibson decides to add subtitles to "The Passion"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 07:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Gibson Slips in Subtitles

Mel Gibson has performed a spectacular U-turn over his controversial movie about Jesus Christ's last hours - he's decided to include subtitles after all. Gibson shocked Hollywood after announcing The Passion, which stars Jim Caviezel as Jesus and Monica Bellucci as Mary Magdalene, would be shot in Aramaic language without the aid of subtitles - but now a Christian focus group invited to a screening of the film insists it has too many subtitles. One viewer tells American website The Scoop, "I don't know if Mel was ever serious about not having any subtitles. If he was, he has moved beyond that now. The version I saw actually had too many subtitles. We don't need distracting translations flashing on the screen when the Roman soldiers are saying obvious things like, 'Hey, you, move!' Mel noted that they were going to eliminate some of the subtitles in future edits." Meanwhile, those lucky enough to catch the rough screening rave about The Passion - and dismiss accusations it is anti-Semitic. Another viewer tells The Scoop, "The Passion is a stunning work of art. It is a devout act of worship from Mel and his collaborators. Let's get the controversy out of the way right at the top. The film is faithful to the Gospel, particularly St. John. It is no more anti-Semitic than is the Gospel."
Old 07-02-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I hate reading subtitles.

Old 07-02-03, 07:40 AM

Faith Guided Mel Gibson Through 'Passion'

Mel Gibson says he attended Mass every morning while shooting his new movie, "The Passion," because "we had to be squeaky clean just working on this."

The film, which Gibson directs, stars James Caviezel as Christ during the last 12 hours of his life and Monica Bellucci as Mary Magdalene. The $25 million production was shot in the Aramaic language of the time, but there were subtitles for Thursday's showing.

Gibson said his Christian faith inspired the film. He is still looking for a distributor.

"I'm not a preacher, and I'm not a pastor," the 47-year-old director-actor said. "But I really feel my career was leading me to make this. The Holy Ghost was working through me on this film, and I was just directing traffic. I hope the film has the power to evangelize."

Gibson said the film "was a strange mixture of the most difficult thing I've ever done, along with this incredible ease. Everyone who worked on this movie was changed. There were agnostics and Muslims on set converting to Christianity."
Old 07-02-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Subtitles or not - I am still going to see this when it comes out. I thought Gibson said it would be a visual experience like a silent film - that is why he wasn't going to use subtitles in the first place, because he didn't think we, the viewer, would need them.

I think the cast looks excellent, too, so that can't really hurt.
Old 07-02-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am at least glad that he decided to produce it in Aramaic, rather than taking the standard Hollywood way of saying, "foreign people really like to talk English when in private."
Old 07-02-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Cheers to Mel for trying to make a movie ABOUT something, rather than the latest money-making machine. Don't know if it will be good or not, but it's one I'm really looking forward to. What do you want to bet hardly any of the big-chain theaters carry it?
Old 07-02-03, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monica Bellucci is Mary? Guess she won't be nude in this one.
Old 07-02-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm about as far from "religious" as one could get, but it sounds interesting, I'll probably check it out.
Old 07-02-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
Monica Bellucci is Mary? Guess she won't be nude in this one.
It's Monica Belluci as Mary Magdalene, a prostitute.
Old 07-02-03, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sundog
Oh I didn't see that. Well then I guess I'll be checking this one out.
Old 07-02-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a little article from someone who has seen a rough cut of it:

Spoiler:
I SAW THE PASSION
By Barbara Nicolosi

So I was at a private screening at Icon Productions yesterday, and got to see a rough cut of The Passion. There were about twelve people in the room, including Mel Gibson, his producing partner Steve and four or five other Icon staffers. After the screening, we talked to Mel and friends for about an hour. (As cool as that was, the quality of the film was such that the celebrity stuff was completely gone from the moment. I can't explain it really, except that it would be like standing in the Sistine Chapel next to, well, someone like Mel Gibson. Great art is a great leveler....) The rough cut we saw obviously didn't have the final score or special effects, and there were many more sub-titles than they will have in the finished film.

So, here's my take...

The Passion is a stunning work of art. It is a devout, act of worship from Mel and his collaborators - in the way that Handel's Messiah and Notre Dame
were artistic acts of worship in previous times.

Let's get the controversy out of the way right at the top. The film is faithful to the Gospel, particularly St. John. It is no more anti-Semitic than is the Gospel.

Having seen the film now, I can only marvel that the attacks are pretty much demonic. Hopefully, the Devil will end up spitefully biting his own tail on this one-- as he does in The Passion by inciting on the executioners of Christ, and thus being complicit in his own ultimate defeat. The Passion is high art. It is the greatest movie about Jesus ever made. In the discussion following the film, Mel and co. were asking us how mainstream theater audiences would react to the film. I told them, "Who cares? What you have here is so much more than just a product to sell. It will live forever, regardless of whether it is a commercial success for you or not."

For those of us who love Jesus, The Passion is devastating to watch. It is so good, I almost couldn't stand it. There is one moment on the way of the cross sequence, in which the whole tragedy unfolding devolves into a vicious riot of hatred between Romans and Jews with the Savior on the ground in the middle of it getting it from both sides. It was so frenzied and terrible, I wanted to run from the room. But then, the film again finds Mary, Jesus's Mother on the sidelines, and her presence gets us through it. Kind of like how Mary's presence helped Jesus get through it, it seemed to me.

The film is lovingly Marian. Mary is perfectly portrayed here. She is contrasted repeatedly with the really super creepy Satan character, who is also a woman (something for the feminist theologians here? heh heh...).

The film is strongly Eucharistic. There is a beautiful juxtaposition of images that cuts from the stripping on Calvary to the unwrapping of the bread to be used at the last Supper. Fabulous stuff.

Every Christian needs to see this film at least once. Just to remember, in our current comfort zones while evil is closing in, the price that was paid for us. On my way home from the screening, I found myself praying in the car, "Jesus, I'm so sorry, I forgot..." How many films have led you to compunction lately? The Passion is a miracle.
Old 07-02-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
[throws away Aramaic For Dummies book]

Damn you Mel Gibson!!
Old 07-02-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the full article, Jedi.
Old 07-02-03, 01:27 PM

I would like to see a review from regular audience member, and not somebody who's quite as religious as the reviewer in Kal Jedi's article, and who didn't get to hobnob with Mel. It sounds like this lady probably would give a favorable review to Left Behind and its ilk.
Old 07-02-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already know the ending to this movie, so I probably won't go see it.
Old 07-02-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
It sounds like this lady probably would give a favorable review to Left Behind and its ilk.

Any reference to the p.o.s. kills me. My dad bought it for his mom when she was in town, because she is quite religious and is somewhat familiar w/ the topic of the book and she turned it off because she thought it was a p.o.s.

But seriously, you are right that it would be nice to hear what someone thought of the movie that doesn't beat the Bible on a daily basis.
Old 07-02-03, 07:24 PM

Dang I was hoping this was going to turn out like Mel's movie in the simpsons. Oh well here's hoping next year that someone will use my script for Jesus : The Crucifixed about an android Jesus ready to distribute some vengance.

It would be nice to read a review from someone who doesn't have a bible in one hole and mel gibson in the other But I am still really looking forward to this movie. I do wish it would have stayed in all Aramaic just to try something different.
Old 07-02-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sundog
sorry to get off topic and to get biblical but there is no biblical proof that Mary Magdalene was a prositute. That was started in the 14th century by a Pope of the Catholic Church if i'm not mistaken(I'm not positive on that last part).
Old 07-02-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
It sounds like this lady probably would give a favorable review to Left Behind and its ilk.
Left Behind has a pretty interesting history (as far as the movie being made). The two authors sold it to Cloud Ten Productions after they were promised a 30-40 million dollar budget. Cloud Ten spent 1/10 of that to make the movie... Oops!

But yes, LB was pretty bad. Even as a Christian, that and some others that have been released in the last few years from Christian distribution companies have been nothing but pure crap, from an artistic standpoint.

I'm looking forward to Mel's movie. I can only hope the eventual DVD has the ability to remove the subtitles so that we can see what the original vision looked like...
Old 07-02-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

gibson shouldve kept this thing w/o subtitles. this film is still going to get walk outs either way.

so will danny glover show up in this as the apostle who keeps spouting "i'm too old for this sh$t"?
Old 07-02-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Scorsese's take, but am excited to see Gibson's. From what I've seen/read about him, he's a devout Catholic, which makes me wonder if the film will be overbearingly dogmatic. The reviewer said that it's very Marian, whose role in the Catholic Church, in my experience, seems equal to Christ, which, as a Lutheran, I really take issue with. I'd like if he stuck to the Gospels, but wonder which one will direct the narrative. Anyone know if he's combined them? I'm sure that it will be, either way, breathtaking or guffaw-starting, fascinating.

I'm glad that Gibson's including subtitles, even though without, the film may be more powerful. Maybe removable subtitles on the DVD?
Old 07-03-03, 02:03 AM
Banned

I wonder why they never made a movie about Satan?
If they made it, and told it like he is in the Bible that would convert some people to christianity.
Because you would get the young MTV crowd going to see it, and they would get a different outlook than what they think he is like.
Since you always see a person on MTV giving the devil sign with their hand.
Old 07-03-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
I wonder why they never made a movie about Satan?
If they made it, and told it like he is in the Bible that would convert some people to christianity.
Because you would get the young MTV crowd going to see it, and they would get a different outlook than what they think he is like.
Since you always see a person on MTV giving the devil sign with their hand.
Funny how the "devil sign" is actually sign language for "I Love You". Dio saw it at a concert once and started doing it...

I once wrote a quick scriptment about the life of Satan - a little less obtuse than John Milton's ideas - likening Satan to a spoiled brat who's grown up to be bitter. I thought the idea was alright.

Funny what you dig up, when you research. When did the devil go from God's most favored, beautiful Angel to a little red troll with horns, hooves and a tail? Darn dark ages...
Old 07-03-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Funny how the "devil sign" is actually sign language for "I Love You". Dio saw it at a concert once and started doing it...
The sign for "I love you" is with the thumb outstretched, perpendicular to the index finger. The sign for "I love Lucifer" has the thumb over the middle and ring fingers. Similar, but not quite the same thing.
Old 07-03-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been interested in this project ever since it was announced, and the fact that the movie wasn't going to have subtitles intrigued me even more. I can understand why he's putting them in, but I hope that for the dvd release we will have the option of turning them off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.