Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Are we ever going to see a new Braveheart disc?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...so the current disc is "nice" but just not nice enough for this film. Yeah, there's a commentary by Gibson and one making of featurette, but I've got to say I'm left clamoring for more.

For one, the DD soundtrack is a little poorly balanced, although at times it's downright beautiful. On others, the dialogue is barely noticeable. And it's just with this disc...

The video is suspect too. The transfer, while good, and even anamorphic, just doesn't have the quality that this movie deserves. There's got to be a smooth dust free print of this one out there to get a nice, crisp near T2:Extreme quality transfer off of.

I know there's a ton of featurettes and on location and cut scenes out there...why aren't they on disc!?!

And how about a new commentary with Mel and a few of the other cast members?

Am I asking for too much on this? Hell, I didn't even ask for DTS...
Old 07-01-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No.

Too bad. Guess we'll have to wait for TV screenings to see all those deleted scenes.
Old 07-01-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Don't worry, I'm sure studio execs have a new special edition penciled in for sometime in the future.

I agree the soundtrack could use some work at times. Dialogue is a little soft.

I actually enjoy the transfer, even though it isn't perfect. Adds to the charm, or something like that.
Old 07-01-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by funkyryno
Don't worry, I'm sure studio execs have a new special edition penciled in for sometime in the future.
It's Paramount. They've only done a couple of special edition rereleases, and only for their franchises.
Old 07-01-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This title is definitely begging for a SE makeover. With the current disc available at
Old 07-01-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You can easily get a T2: Extreme Edition version Braveheart. Just tweak the sharpness if you have access to such a feature. Nothing revolutionary or miraculous.
Old 07-01-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I remember reading many a review saying that the colors are off on the dvd compared to the laser disc.
Old 07-01-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm definetly on the same page with eveyone else. While the transfer is 'good', it could be much better. I was sorely disappointed when this DVD came out. But, being the DVD-junkie I am, I had to buy it
Old 07-01-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too would like a special edition of this great flick, but only if it had a new transfer. Maybe we should just wait for the inevitable Hd-Dvd release, there are many, many other dvds that are in much more dire need than Braveheart for a special edition.
Old 07-01-03, 10:57 AM

An SE of Braveheart would be cool, but I'm happy with the one we have right now.

Doc
Old 07-01-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His commentary isn't the greatest, either. I have the tv edition taped, where Murrion is about to be killed with a whole scene of dialogue. It's really from the UK version. Anyway, Braveheart was once my favorite movie of all time. I must have seen it 30+ times. I even have a website on it, Braveheart Encyclopedia. Some of you may have been to it.
Old 07-01-03, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by scroll2b
His commentary isn't the greatest, either. I have the tv edition taped, where Murrion is about to be killed with a whole scene of dialogue. It's really from the UK version. Anyway, Braveheart was once my favorite movie of all time. I must have seen it 30+ times. I even have a website on it, Braveheart Encyclopedia. Some of you may have been to it.
"His commentary isn't the greatest" - is an understatement, this is the best disc to fall asleep to... while listening to Gibson - ugh! dull is the better word (what a disappointment).
Old 07-01-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They could get a writer's track on there. I saw one of those History vs. Hollywood specials on the History Channel and he seemed to have a lot of passion of the movie. Maybe a historian's track, though in that same special it was stated they didn't know a lot about Wallace.