Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Tower V: will it have the same style of cover?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(sorry if this is a somewhat redundent thread on King, but I didn't want this question to get lost in a dead thread)

I just bought two of the re-issued Dark Tower hardcovers. I like the fact that all four re-issues have the same style on the spine and on the front cover. This way, they'll all look great on the shelves next to each other.

However, from the cover of Wolves of the Calla, it looks like it has a different style.

Does anyone know if the spine will look the same as the others? I don't want the last three to look totally different. If that's the case, I'm taking those two back to B&N.
Old 06-29-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
You probably won't see a matching 7-book set until after they've all been released. Viking is doing the reprints, and Scribner/ Donald Grant are doing the new books.
Old 06-29-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
You probably won't see a matching 7-book set until after they've all been released. Viking is doing the reprints, and Scribner/ Donald Grant are doing the new books.
This is probably true.

I think there's a new cover design issued every time a new book in the series is released. The current batch of trade paperbacks is at least the third cover design I've seen on them.
Old 06-29-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, so Viking isn't doing books 5-7? I'm sure there won't be a universal cover scheme until the end, then.
Old 06-29-03, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Oh, so Viking isn't doing books 5-7? I'm sure there won't be a universal cover scheme until the end, then.
I could be wrong, but with the DT books it goes like this:
Grant gets the first limited edition publishing (if you go this route, you'll pay ~$60 for the last book- but get it about 5 or 6 months before it hits stores.),
Scribner gets the first mass market release,
And then Viking gets paperback and reprint rights.

Been a while since I read up on the whole thing (when I was debating trying to get the Grant editions) so I could have my facts a little off.
Old 06-30-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I could be wrong, but with the DT books it goes like this:
Grant gets the first limited edition publishing (if you go this route, you'll pay ~$60 for the last book- but get it about 5 or 6 months before it hits stores.),
Only slightly wrong. In Late September the new book comes out with the LE. Then in november the trade paper back comes out.

New publisher is doing the new, old is doing the previosly released so like its been said not lilkly to get matching covers.

Thats OK though otherwise I'd have three or so copies of a few of the books and I can't afford that for trade paperbacks. Maybe a boxset of hard cover someday but no time soon for me.
Old 06-30-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I checked out various websites. It seems that penquin won't be doing reprints of the new books until 2006 (there will be the normal tradepaperbacks before then).

Sounds to me that the best idea is to buy the four re-release hardcovers, and cross my fingers that the 3 new ones look at least somewhat like them. The front covers don't concern me, just the spine, so who knows.
Old 07-01-03, 04:28 AM

Here's what the cover of the UK edition will look like, if anyone would rather get it:

Old 07-01-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what it looks like. This is from a promotional thingie the publisher sent out.

Old 07-01-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That little key hole with the V (5) in it is on the spine of each of the reprint hardcovers in stores now. I wonder if this one will have it on the spine.
Old 07-02-03, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jpcamb
Only slightly wrong. In Late September the new book comes out with the LE. Then in november the trade paper back comes out.

New publisher is doing the new, old is doing the previosly released so like its been said not lilkly to get matching covers.

Thats OK though otherwise I'd have three or so copies of a few of the books and I can't afford that for trade paperbacks. Maybe a boxset of hard cover someday but no time soon for me.
Also slightly wrong. On November 4, 2003 Donald Grant will release (barring any delays) the TRADE Hardback Edition of Wolves of the Calla (the cover of which you see above) through Scribner for $35.00. Two weeks prior to that date Grant will release the Limited Edition available only to the owners of The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass Limited Edition for $200.

The spine for the TRADE edition through Scribner will have Grant on it and should NOT look exactly as the new hardbacks because those are put out by Viking.

Any Paperback Edition won't surface until sometime in 2004 when you'll see the last two Dark Tower books, Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower, released.