Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions on samurai games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-29-03, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking for some recommendations for samurai games for the Xbox or PS2. I picked up Genma Onimusha and I have to say I really don't care for the interface. The camera doing it's own thing w/ no real control over it is a PITA some times. I also have (but haven't been able to play since I don't have a PS2 yet) Way of the Samurai. I'm looking at Kengo but I figure before I buy too many games (and end up similarly disappointed as w/ GO) I'd ask to see what people like and whether or not all of them are similar to GO wrt the controls/camera.

TIA
Old 06-29-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samurai Shodown 1/2 are the only samurai games you ever need, unless you don't like fighting games
Old 06-29-03, 02:35 PM

Oh man, SS2 is the BEST EVER. As far as I know, though, there isn't a version for PSX, right? I had to install MAME on my PC to play it. I have SS3 or 4 for PSX, but I don't like those as much.

As for PSX games, Bushido Blade is a fun, challenging game, but rather old now. Bushido Blade 2 is pretty cool, too, if I remember right.
Old 06-29-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't there a new Samarai Showdown in the works, not sure which system though?
Old 06-29-03, 05:37 PM

If there is, I would guess it would be considered a Neo Geo title. Who are they friendly with these days?
Old 06-29-03, 06:57 PM

Re: Opinions on samurai games

Originally posted by nemein
I'm looking for some recommendations for samurai games for the Xbox or PS2. I picked up Genma Onimusha and I have to say I really don't care for the interface. The camera doing it's own thing w/ no real control over it is a PITA some times. I also have (but haven't been able to play since I don't have a PS2 yet) Way of the Samurai. I'm looking at Kengo but I figure before I buy too many games (and end up similarly disappointed as w/ GO) I'd ask to see what people like and whether or not all of them are similar to GO wrt the controls/camera.

TIA

Way of the Samurai is OK. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it and given the choice I would rather rent anyway. I never beat the game, but never really wanted to. Busihdo Blade 1 is really good but that game has got to be 10 years old by now. I really can't recall any great Samurai style game. I do seem to remeber a rumor about the 7 Samurai being turned into a game, but I could just be day dreaming.
Old 06-29-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rented Way of the Samurai when it came out. It was a pretty neat idea for a game, kind of a choose your own adventure game in real time in that the choices you make and people you meet determine the story and your path. i.e. if you see some people wrecking the local curry restaurant, you can either help out by fighting them off or you can sit idle and watch. Its a neat idea, but the game is pretty short (tons of different endings though), worth a try if you're curious. It features a more traditional samurai style story and setting than Onimusha. I heard they are making a new one for the PS2 also thats supposedly much upgraded.

Bushido Blade is another interesting game, lots of different weapons to choose from. And Samurai Showdown 2 is an awesome fighting game. Never did play the 4th one though. Don't really know of any other samurai games off the top of my head.
Old 06-29-03, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do seem to remeber a rumor about the 7 Samurai being turned into a game, but I could just be day dreaming.
I think ebgames has it listed... quite frankly it looks like it could potentially be lame. It's actually Seven Samurai 20xx, set in the future and has very little to do w/ the movie (except stealing the name) from the look of it.
Old 06-29-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone recommend Tenchu 3 or Shinobi for the PS2?

Jeremy
Old 06-30-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Tenchu and Shinobi are ninja games, rather than playing a Samurai.