Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlie's Angels 2: Full Discussion Thread (spoilers included)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, thread police, I know there are other CA threads, but none of them are about discussing the movie itself.

So I saw it in a packed theater last night & I have to say I was VERY dissapointed. And I really liked the first one. The first one is what it is, I love it & appreciate it for that. But given the insane budget of the sequal, I found it extremely annoying. The movie is so redundant. Uber-over-the top action scene with MTV single blasting, followed by brief girly comedic scene, then repeat for 2 straight hours. That was the entire movie, like a mathematical formula. The first one was actually kind of fresh. 3 women in a big budget fun action romp, there really hasn't been anything like that. But there is nothing fresh or creative about the sequal. You can accomplish what McG wants to accomplish, without all the over the top wire work. That & the music were really my 2 main problems of the movie. IT was just too much, & when a movie is 2 hours long, & EVERY single fight has the ridiculous wire scenes, they just all look the same. An hour into the movie, I was really liking it, but after that it get's so repititive, there is almost nothing they can do to make a fight look different, aside from actually having them fight without wires. The few times they show Diaz kick or Lucy fight without wires, I though it looked really good.

My other large complaint, & reason why I loved the first one was the bad guys. Glover was that token bad ass, silent bad guy that we all love. Rockwell, who is good in everything he does, was the perfect fun, evil villain. You could tell he had fun in the role & really brought life to the character. This movie, I felt the villains were bad guys b/c that is who they are suppose to be. Demi Moore was boring, she was the bad guy b/c she wore black & the trailers told us that, nothiing more.. The Irish guy was in prison, so he must be bad, that's it. Boring, lifeless. (And why was he able to walk though fire).

For the budget this movie had, they should have worried about being more creative, rather than just make stuff blow up better & people fly more. If you don't like this movie, there is lot's of stuff you can pick apart, but for those that like it, it's like "well stuff blew up good, the girls were hot, it was fun". That's it, that is all you can say about the movie, & for me that is not enoug, I got that in the first one, I don't need to see it again for 2 hours unless they switch it up a bit. And the music, were these all songs McG directed the video to. Out of the billions of songs out there, why does he use the same Prodigy songs that are in every movie & trailer.

What I did like about the movie. . .

- Bernie Mac the first hour. Very funny, I kind of felt like he wrote his own lines in the beginning, but after that it was the script, & his jokes fell flat.

- Bringing Back Thin Man, only to have him go good, & then be killed. That was actually the only fresh thing in the entire movie.

- The pussycant lounge scene. I KNOW everyone hates here, so keep it out of this thread, but dear god Lucy Liu is hot. the only bright spot of the movie for me was her.