Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Not at all.

Relatively few are.
Old 06-27-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No.

Some of the earlier ones are.

The rest of them - the more recent ones - are Region One.
Old 06-28-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like someone bought a bootleg..
Old 06-28-03, 10:49 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the majority are region free (even stuff like Brazil, Silence of the Lambs, etc.). However, there are exceptions such as, most notably, stuff they licensed from Toho Studios (primarily Kurosawa) that due to licensing conditions is all R1 encoded. Movies licensed from Disney (Chasing Amy, Rushmore, Armageddon) are also R1. These usually have the R1 symbol on the box

To make matters more confusing, there are several of the early editions that are in fact R1 but do not say so on the box, for example Brief Encounter is R1 (again I presume due to licensing reasons, since Carlton has their own version out in R2) but does not mention anything on the box.

In short... most of them are R0, but not all.

I
Old 06-28-03, 11:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by ivantod
Actually, the majority are region free (even stuff like Brazil, Silence of the Lambs, etc.). However, there are exceptions such as, most notably, stuff they licensed from Toho Studios (primarily Kurosawa) that due to licensing conditions is all R1 encoded. Movies licensed from Disney (Chasing Amy, Rushmore, Armageddon) are also R1. These usually have the R1 symbol on the box

To make matters more confusing, there are several of the early editions that are in fact R1 but do not say so on the box, for example Brief Encounter is R1 (again I presume due to licensing reasons, since Carlton has their own version out in R2) but does not mention anything on the box.

In short... most of them are R0, but not all.

I
From the sampling I did you are absolutely correct! Even recent releases such as Straw Dogs are R0.

I'm completely surprised about this as I thought they stopped doing that a long time ago. Guess that's why Criterions are so popular all over the world.

Sorry for the bad info! I hate doing that.
Old 06-28-03, 01:14 PM

Slightly off topic but - some Warner Bros releases are region free, even when the sleeve claims they are region 1. Two examples are Klute and McCabe & Mrs Miller which play on my region 2 -locked-tight-as-a-duck's-a*** machine.
Old 06-28-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by del bosque
Slightly off topic but - some Warner Bros releases are region free, even when the sleeve claims they are region 1. Two examples are Klute and McCabe & Mrs Miller which play on my region 2 -locked-tight-as-a-duck's-a*** machine.
Yes...bought the R1 Animatrix and found this also worked on my Girlfriends R2 locked player....i tend to try R1's on hers as well as my own region-free player on the off chance they play and as stated already i've gotten several Criterions to work on there ...'The Killers, Straw Dogs, Beauty & The Beast'.
Old 06-28-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by del bosque
I think Warner actually often encodes their discs for both R1 and R2, although they're not really region-free. Every once in a while, someone will have a glitch where a Warner disc displays menus in Japanese for this reason (Japan is R2).

DJ
Old 06-28-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A good place to check if a specific disc is region free is www.criteriondvd.com.
Old 06-29-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by imp66
A good place to check if a specific disc is region free is www.criteriondvd.com.
Only for the older discs - that site hasn't been touched in over a year. The Criterion forum at http://pub125.ezboard.com/bcriterioncollectionforum is one of the best places to look for all Criterion info.