Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I'm finally the victim of "dvd rot"

Old 06-27-03, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends I'm finally the victim of "dvd rot" for lack of a better term, my beloved Gettysburg dvd is no more. The breakup began in chapter 22 and the enemy advanced through my lines.
Old 06-27-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Careful! Soon it'll start going after brains....
Old 06-27-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I'm finally the victim of "dvd rot"

Originally posted by pagemaster7
My friends I'm finally the victim of "dvd rot" for lack of a better term, my beloved Gettysburg dvd is no more. The breakup began in chapter 22 and the enemy advanced through my lines.
curious....what player do you have and how many other players have you tried it on? I dont have this dvd, so I cant test it out. hopefully, someone will check thier disc.
Old 06-27-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of the time the dreaded DVD rot is the dreaded DVD player problem instead.
Old 06-27-03, 10:55 PM

I have a Sony c650d and a toshiba sd 3900 , the dvd problem started in the same chapter stop on both(chapter 22) and the cloud ring had begun, it was a bad disk.
Old 06-27-03, 11:50 PM
pum

i never had R1 dvd rot but had a couple of R2s. and i tested it on different player. it's real.
but mine can't be played at all from the beginning.
Old 06-28-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My beloved copy of Gettysburg better not suffer the humiliation of DVD Rot.
Old 06-28-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel your pain pagemaster7. And the stupid thing is, people still vehemently deny that DVDs don't go bad and/or aren't defective from the beginning but it's not obvious until later (i.e. bad pressing). I really have to wonder how many more of my DVDs will suffer from this... *sigh*

I posted this in another thread, but no one seemed to care... Last week, my girlfriend sat down to watch our copy of Charlie's Angels and discovered that it freezes at the end of chapter 25. Tried it out on my computer and it does the same thing. Cleaned it to no avail. It looks like there is some sort of swirl on the DVD. I've owned it for over a year (probably bought it when it came out) and it played fine before. I take excellent care of my DVDs, so I didn't damage it. However, I did get annoyed and ended up scratching it while cleaning it for the umpteenth time...

Anyway, I went to Media Play to try to exchange it (my logic is that the studio reimburses the stores for defective merchandise; maybe I'm wrong?) and discovered that there's the new edition and they wouldn't take my old one. A couple of days ago I found out that my local Wherehouse still has the old copy of CA so I'm going to try there.

If Wherehouse doesn't exchange it without a receipt do I have to simply chalk it up as a loss and buy the new one or is there some other recourse?
Old 06-28-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!

Anyway, I went to Media Play to try to exchange it (my logic is that the studio reimburses the stores for defective merchandise; maybe I'm wrong?)

If Wherehouse doesn't exchange it without a receipt do I have to simply chalk it up as a loss and buy the new one or is there some other recourse?
your logic is sound....but soon it will be hopeless. I'm not so much concerned about NOW...but the FUTURE. in 10 years...who will replace the discs? NOBODY. will they give us a voucher or coupon to have the same film replaced via the new format? NO. will they care? hell....do they care now? NO. industry leaders label us paranoid. I label the leaders and manufacturing/quality control teams....idiots. fact is....you need to pray that your collection will last more than 5 years. so far....I have had 19 discs get eaten by the green-monster. 19 out of almost 1,000. not bad....but not good. will it be 119 in another year? 219, 2 years from now?

oh well....I've been outspoken on this issue, in many threads. best thing to do is do a search for dvdrot...by spelling it all in 1 word. have faith and hope that it's very isolated....which so far...it is. it is bad batches...born at the plant. I do think it IS getting a little better however. but until someone in the industry DEMANDS a research squad be formed...we will have to live with the problem and the denial from others.

this whole delamination thing needs to be fixed. if they cant repair the problem now....HD-DVD will suffer the same fate. the rush to get to the new format has caused people to overlook the smallest of problems. bad adhesive? then use something else...you industry fools!! how hard can it be? thank god alot of my dvds are not dual-layered.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 06-28-03 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 01:02 AM

I share your pain too.

My first experience of "DVD rot" or manufacturing defects was Road Trip. Watched it several times before and had company over and decided to watch it (after owning it for a year). It wasn't the player and froze.

Same with The House on Haunted Hill (remake) when I was in the mood for a horror movie.

Both DVD that froze and wouldn't play no matter what had the "cloudy, milky" appearance. Had to notice unless under the right lighting and angle.

Now when I feel like it, I'm watching all the "older" bough DVDs that are dual layered and especially any that have the cloudy milky appearance. Gladiator have it and so far it's ok.

Wish there was an easier way to exchange any defective disks without receipts.
Old 06-28-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the owner of a rotten DVD.

It's called Wedding Planner.

What it's doing in my collection is a mystery, but it's there.
Old 06-28-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know how it feels. The first time I got DVD rot is when I bought Shrek in Singapore, and I was so pissed off because I can't return it back (lost my receipt).
Old 06-28-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
And the stupid thing is, people still vehemently deny that DVDs don't go bad and/or aren't defective from the beginning but it's not obvious until later (i.e. bad pressing). I really have to wonder how many more of my DVDs will suffer from this... *sigh*
I have never seen anyone deny that there is a problem. What people (myself included) have done is to try to bring some semblance of reason to the discussion.

FACT:
Some dual-layered DVDs (a very, very small percentage of the total number of discs manufactured) are "victims" of a manufacturing defect that causes the layers to delaminate, or the disc to otherwise become unplayable over time. These defects are the result of improper techniques and/or materials used in the process of bonding the layers of a DVD together. The defect, though present at the time of manufacture, does not become evident until some time has passed (typically 1-2 years), at which point the disc is rendered useless.

MYTH:
The cloudy, milky appearance of a DVD is an indication of "DVD rot." This is not true. In fact, without the use of high resolution optical equipment, it is usually impossible to visually detect an unplayable disc. The cloudy appearance is a very common side-effect of the manufacture of dual-layered DVDs and does not, in and of itself, indicate any problem.

MYTH:
Single-layered DVDs are also affected. This is absolutely untrue. The process of assembling a single-layered DVD is very different than that of a dual-layered DVD, and it does not present any opportunity for the dual-layered defects to be introduced into a DVD. There have been no reported cases of single-layered DVD defects, other than those that are readily apparent as soon as the disc is manufactured.

MYTH:
All DVDs are susceptible to "DVD rot." This is also untrue. Unless a DVD contains one of the defects described above at the time of manufacture, it can not and will not develop it later.

Until these concepts are broadly understood and accepted, people like me will continue to "vehemently" remind people of them, to counterbalance the equally vehement dissemination of confusion and FUD.

Last edited by RoboDad; 06-28-03 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I guess I'm old school...

I remember laserdisc rot.

Some discs like Beauty/Beast Work in Progress haad rot within a year of purchase.

rot is sukekeke

-k
###
Old 06-28-03, 05:33 AM

I've had a problem with 4 out of about 300 dvds...tested on 2 different players. Think the Gladiator was a bad pressing as I never got it to work from day one.

deep sea blue from chapter 19 on (This is dual-layer and doesn't work on either player after the layer change)

oceans 11 (This is dual-layer once again only half works...LOTS of chapter skipping and looping along with pixelation/compression. Can get to the end of the movie with a whole lot of fidgeting and skipping a couple chapters, although problems still occur.)

ginger snaps (worked on 1 player)

gladiator 2nd disc (wont initialize in either player...not sure if the Extras disc is Dual Layered or not)
Old 06-28-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoboDad
I have never seen anyone deny that there is a problem. What people (myself included) have done is to try to bring some semblance of reason to the discussion.

FACT:
Some dual-layered DVDs (a very, very small percentage of the total number of discs manufactured) are "victims" of a manufacturing defect that causes the layers to delaminate, or the disc to otherwise become unplayable over time. These defects are the result of improper techniques and/or materials used in the process of bonding the layers of a DVD together. The defect, though present at the time of manufacture, does not become evident until some time has passed (typically 1-2 years), at which point the disc is rendered useless.

MYTH:
The cloudy, milky appearance of a DVD is an indication of "DVD rot." This is not true. In fact, without the use of high resolution optical equipment, it is usually impossible to visually detect an unplayable disc. The cloudy appearance is a very common side-effect of the manufacture of dual-layered DVDs and does not, in and of itself, indicate any problem.

MYTH:
Single-layered DVDs are also affected. This is absolutely untrue. The process of assembling a single-layered DVD is very different than that of a dual-layered DVD, and it does not present any opportunity for the dual-layered defects to be introduced into a DVD. There have been no reported cases of single-layered DVD defects, other than those that are readily apparent as soon as the disc is manufactured.

MYTH:
All DVDs are susceptible to "DVD rot." This is also untrue. Unless a DVD contains one of the defects described above at the time of manufacture, it can not and will not develop it later.

Until these concepts are broadly understood and accepted, people like me will continue to "vehemently" remind people of them, to counterbalance the equally vehement dissemination of confusion and FUD.
That's really nice, RoboDad, glad you think that the bulk of us are complete morons who cannot grasp this concept. Let me bow down to you and kiss your ass. Not.

I've gotten to the point where I dread clicking on "rot" threads not only because of people who feel the need to explain it to us "bumpkins" in a painfully detailed manner, but also because of the insulting jackasses who cannot grasp the concept that things other than bad DVD players can cause DVDs to not play. The only thing I am glad for is that the problem is not widespread and has not happened, but I do wish that it would happen to some of you because you deserve it.

People are going to continue to dub the problem with dual layer DVDs not playing "DVD Rot." If we had to use the term "DVD Delamination" each time it came up then RoboDad would be busy typing out his long ass explanation what DVD delamination is, and none of us want that.
Old 06-28-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
That's really nice, RoboDad, glad you think that the bulk of us are complete morons who cannot grasp this concept. Let me bow down to you and kiss your ass. Not.

I've gotten to the point where I dread clicking on "rot" threads not only because of people who feel the need to explain it to us "bumpkins" in a painfully detailed manner, but also because of the insulting jackasses who cannot grasp the concept that things other than bad DVD players can cause DVDs to not play. The only thing I am glad for is that the problem is not widespread and has not happened, but I do wish that it would happen to some of you because you deserve it.

People are going to continue to dub the problem with dual layer DVDs not playing "DVD Rot." If we had to use the term "DVD Delamination" each time it came up then RoboDad would be busy typing out his long ass explanation what DVD delamination is, and none of us want that.
originally posted by Cheri Oteri

Simmer down, now!
Old 06-28-03, 07:57 AM
Banned

Lighten up, Francis....
Old 06-28-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

There will always be a small percentage of DVDs, as with Laserdiscs, that are defective and stop working after a year or two if they were improperly manufactured (Contact is probably an example). The frustrating thing is the overreation by some people that think most of our collections will be rotted away in 10 years. I had problems with the known Anchor Bay defective discs and those were either bad when I bought them or went bad in a month or two.

Out of my 800 DVDs none have a problem and they are lent out or played by me often enough for a problem to have been noticed. I have many that are 5 years old and still play perfectly. Bad scratches are the only worry I have regarding my DVDs.

I also have nearly 100 Laserdiscs, some from as far back as the late 80's, and they all play perfectly as well.

I'm sure I will have a defective DVD now and then, but its hardly something to worry about. And yes, most of the time when people have problems with a disc its a problem with the player. Either the disc is not fully compatible with it or the player needs to be cleaned.

Last edited by darkside; 06-28-03 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 01:44 PM

Calhoun, what is your problem? You sound very bitter and stressed. Being a newcomer to DVD and to this forum, information that RoboDad gave was very helpful to me. Especially the part about cloudy, milky swirls on a disc not necessarily being attributed to DVD rot. Not everyone here is the expert that you are. Judging by that post of yours, you sound like a know-it-all that can't be told anything. This forum is for everyone, expert to novice. It's not all about you.
Old 06-28-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, what makes DVDs and CDs so magically different? I've had some CDs for over 10 years and they're fine. I remember a thread on Slashdot where someone left an old 1980's software install outside in the desert as a wind chime and tried it a year ago or so and it worked just fine.

At the same time, I had a stack of CD-rs which I used to "backup" Dreamcast games and they all got a swirly cloud in the middle that has made the disc unplayable. It looks dried soap in the middle. Now, that happenned about a year later.

I think the problem is not DVD rot but good QA at manufacturing plants.

Besides, in 100 years, everything will have rotted.

And in a couple of million years we will be swallowed up by the sun. So how about that.
Old 06-28-03, 04:14 PM
Banned

My Ocean's 11 disc has gone bad as well. I see a milky bit.
Old 06-28-03, 04:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
OK, what makes DVDs and CDs so magically different?
Did you see the statement above about it only happening to dual layered DVDs? CDs aren't dual layered.
Old 06-28-03, 08:10 PM

Pretty worthwhile explanation Robodad.
Is this phenomenon similar to the issue with some of the early CDs where poor adhesion caused oxidation of the reflective layer and subsequent errors? If so, perhaps even single layer discs could be affected.
I've had pixelation errors with "A Bronx Tale", which BestBuy exchanged for me and the second disc of Die Hard 2, which I sent back to Fox and got replaced. Die Hard 2 was clearly a factory screw up, it looked like there were large air bubbles trapped between the polycarbonate and the reflective layer.
Given the size of my DVD collection that's not bad. However I have _never_ had issues with audio CDs. If the greater data density of DVDs is part of the problem, perhaps a more sizeable portion of the HD-DVD discs could be devoted to error correction. If I remember correctly, error correction takes up about 20% of the raw capacity of data CDs, and around 5% of audio CDs. Does anybody know offhand what the numbers are for DVD-video?
Old 06-28-03, 10:43 PM
Banned

thanks for the contribution, kindly.

diskrot's a generic term. ..applicable to any unreadable or possibly damaged disks unrelated to physical misuse, such as being used as glass coasters or sun catchers. big deal.

it's a small percentage of defection, but it does happen. most cases, except for those physically noticeable (such as the clouding of my T2 UE disk), attributable symptoms are due to the DVD players, themselves, not the disks. however, that said, my poor Lifeforce DVD menu special features access has been compromised by pixelation. it's the only one disk out of 230 or so. no big deal. one disk meaning, i have not had any readability issues with the T2 disks, yet.

shoot, i had my water pump go on my car after only 30K miles, way too prematurely. it happens. it just depends who you wanna point your fingers at. the industry? like gutwrencher stated .. they don't care. so what gives?