Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

surprise, surprise- QUEEN MARGOT....not anamorphic!!!

Old 06-27-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After MiramAxe-ing Horseman on the Roof, another classic that many have been waiting for-QUEEN MARGOT, appears to be non-anamorphic.

back cover could be seen here:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=471558&tab=5

so, for those of you that wanted to have the film get the British version (which has a solid 16/9 transfer).

ps
I can only imagine how MiramAxe will screw up LOVERS ON THE BRIDGE.....it is for sure now....time to go British!!
Old 06-27-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh, I'm sure it's the shorter version too. Any idea if the "Version Longue" is available on DVD?
Old 06-27-03, 12:10 AM

The British version has a running time of 138 minutes. The American version was 144 minutes. I'll stick with the Miramax DVD.
Old 06-27-03, 12:13 AM

I don't believe the original 160 minute cut of the film is available on DVD. The only place that I've seen it available commercially is an Australian VHS tape from Ronin Films. I purchased that a few years ago.
Old 06-27-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bjackson
The British version has a running time of 138 minutes. The American version was 144 minutes. I'll stick with the Miramax DVD.
Because the British DVD is PAL and runs ~4.166% faster than American NTSC DVDs, those versions are actually the exact same length.

DJ
Old 06-27-03, 12:28 AM

The British version is missing a few scenes. One example is the scene in which La Mole and Margot are wrapped in the red cape. La Mole asks Margot if she keeps her lover's heads in gold boxes around her bed. This scene appears in the American version, but it was cut from the British version. It doesn't appear on the French Pathe DVD either.
Old 06-27-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

pathetic........
Old 06-27-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The British version is missing a few scenes. One example is the scene in which La Mole and Margot are wrapped in the red cape. La Mole asks Margot if she keeps her lover's heads in gold boxes around her bed. This scene appears in the American version, but it was cut from the British version. It doesn't appear on the French Pathe DVD either.
Very interesting, thanks for the clarification.

DJ
Old 06-27-03, 08:05 AM
pum

...and my R2 british disc has died a year ago. the disc just turned foggy white and won't play at all after a few plays.
anyway, i'm interested in the longer version. if anybody has info, i'm appreciated. isn't longer cut just a rumor?
Old 06-27-03, 08:14 AM

No, the longer cut is not a rumor. I have a PAL VHS version from Australia that runs about 160 minutes. The wedding scene is longer. The massacre scene is a lot more violent. There is also an extra scene with Isabelle Adjani and Virna Lisi. Also, King Charles' death scene is much longer. The end sequence with Margot in the carriage is a little longer as well.

Last edited by bjackson; 06-27-03 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 10:44 AM

[clutching at straws] It doesn't indicate anamorphicity, but the only way to know for sure is to pop it in the player. I have several titles that don't say either way, but they are anamorphic. [/clutching at straws] Very disappointing -- I've been waiting for this release for YEARS.

Also, there are conflicting runtimes and release dates.

BestPrices says 162 minutes on 1july.
DDD says 144 minutes on 1july.
I can't remember which sites, but at least two have said the release date is 22july.

First bare-bones, now non-anamorphic.
This had an Oscar nomination (and not in the foreign category) for Pete's sake!

No respect...

To top it all off it doesn't even have the SUPERCOOL French artwork. BTW, the back cover is a bit blurry, but it seems the French 'Version Inedite' lists a duration of 163 minutes. I would buy a region-free player just for this film, but there are no english subtitles!

:sigh:

Edit: QM is being released in Canada on 22july, by Alliance. No Canadian site that I could find has the artwork up yet.

Last edited by ghlbtsk; 06-27-03 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 11:08 AM

I have the French 'Version Inedite' disc. The running time says "2 h 23" or 143 minutes. It's the cut version. The only difference between the French cut (Pathe DVD) and the American cut is:

1) Does not include the scene with Margot and La Mole wrapped in the red cape, which is pictured on the cover of the American disc.

2) The sequence at the end of the film when Margot rides off in the carriage is a tiny bit longer. It shows La Mole's head lying in her lap. She also says something like "always keep a smile on your lips." It's shown in an even longer version on the Australian VHS.

Last edited by bjackson; 06-27-03 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 11:18 AM

My eyesight is not so good...
143 it is.
Thanks bjackson.
Old 06-27-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ghlbtsk:

You are correct that to be 100% sure one has to actually pop in the dvd and "see" what the status is. You are also correct that in the past MiramAxe has put a few titles on the market that WERE 16/9 (Alive) though the cover did not indicate so.

HOWEVER,

Given the fact that this is a French (therefore "who cares, it is foreign") film I would go on record and say that it is almost 99.9% certain it will be non-anamorphic. (horseman on the roof)

Furthermore, not only are they ignorant they are simply "avoiding" their foreign titles (regardless of the fact that they might have been nominated...."how unusual"......).

As to the British release (which is the same as the French Pathe release).....it has a solid transfer.....and a great looking cover.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-27-03 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 01:59 PM

What would I have to do to get anyone who owns the aforementioned French DVD (bjackson...?) to scan the cover? This might be more appropriate in the Covers & Cases forum, but since we were on the subject...

Also: my other favorite French film, Tous Les Matins du Monde, has no plans for release and is also distributed by a Di$ney-owned company (Touchstone).

:sigh the size of Harvey Weinstein's ego:
I can't win.
Old 06-27-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I will double dip on this one. I already have the British release.
Old 06-27-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a British PAL release of a box set (Guild Home Video G 8803 B) that includes a widescreen (1.85:1) VHS copy of the "Version Longue" (runtime 155 minutes noted on box), a poster, and 6 color prints. It's numbered (mine is #2149).

If you all don't mind, please post the details of your DVD copies so we can get this straight, because I think some countries might have more than one release.

My DVD is UK PAL R2 from Pathé, 1.85:1 anamorphic, catalog number P8803DVD with a "packaging copyright" of 2000. The cover only shows Margot in the blood-covered dress, so it is not the same cover that amazon.co.uk shows even though it appears to have the same catalog number.
Old 06-27-03, 06:57 PM

This is the disc that I own. It's the French Pathé release.

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=1243
Old 06-27-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have the same release as Shill66.....(Pathe, Britain)

same specs, same cover, #P8803