Community
Search

New Mei-Ah Hard Boiled release!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mei-Ah Hard Boiled release!!

http://hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.528553/qx/details.htm

Anyone get this yet or know much about it??

"Features: Anamorphic Widescreen; DTS Digital Surround; Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround".........VERY NICE!!!

Horseflesh
Old 06-26-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have ever seen a Mei-Ah release before (i.e., the Kurosawa disc), you'd know that this is probably nothing to get excited about...
Old 06-26-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bboisvert
If you have ever seen a Mei-Ah release before (i.e., the Kurosawa disc), you'd know that this is probably nothing to get excited about...
Probably too true.
Old 06-26-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=301376
Old 06-26-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean, Mei-ARGHHH!!?
Old 06-27-03, 05:17 AM

take a look at this.....
http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhongkongd...art=41&stop=44
Old 06-27-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

good news for me.
Old 06-27-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
That is awesome news for me! I have wanted the CC for so long since this movie rocks so much, but the CC edition is way too much to justify buying it. Now I can finally own a good edition of this. Made my Friday
Old 06-27-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

more from his review
Ok guys I continued checking out the DVD tonight. the subtitles are definitely different than the ones on the Criterion disk. Which one is more accurate? I don't know because I don't speak Chinese.

The remix soundtrack as is usually the case with HK remixes is gimmicky and exaggerated but it is not as bad as the old remixes that Universe used to do. For those of you who don't like remixes, the original mono Cantonese soundtrack is included as well.

Tonight I noticed something that bothers me about the image on this disk. They did not color match all the sequences. What I mean is, that a few sequences that were put together from different prints elements were not color matched to each other but this is me being extra picky. This is typical of all HK DVDs of older films. Even Hong Kong Legends who restores their film elements have been guilty of this in some of their releases. Anyway this is just a pet peeve of mine. The same way some people get really annoyed about inaccurate subtitle, I get annoyed about colors not matching in a sequence So your MMV.

Dennis
Hopefully, I will get mine soon to see how good/bad this color corecting thing is. I sold my fox lober release, so I can't compare subtitles. Plus this is def. the movie, where you just want the main action sequences.
The resturaunt
the warehouse
and lastly
a 30 min hospital scene.
Old 06-27-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll tell you this much... I wouldn't get it based on the s**ty cover alone... I'm happy with my Criterion.
Old 06-27-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bboisvert
Mei-Ah isn't all bad. Have you seen their Legend of Zu release? It's great. But even so, I'm sure this $10 DVD can't hold a candle to the $400 non-anamorphic, mono Criterion disc.
Old 06-28-03, 12:15 AM

Mei-Ah

Mei Ah used to be the worst HK disc company. Since their merge/takeover/whatever with Chinastar, they have become consistently the best with their releases. Most of their releases are now anamorphic and, from what I've seen, look very nice.

I'll tell you this much... I wouldn't get it based on the s**ty cover alone... I'm happy with my Criterion
Dark, non-anamorphic picture and a good cover vs. anamorphic with better color balance and a crappier cover. No company other than Criterion can put a non-anamorhpic disc up against an anamorphic disc and have people still claiming it to be the keeper of the two...
Old 07-03-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my review from the international forum
got it, and watched it
Well the color quality is certinly improved in this version, but there seems to be a whole lot more specs and dots on the screen then the winstar version. Thankfully the there is no edge enhancement. The only time I noticed servere grain was about 1 hour 46 min in and it lasts for about a min.
the sound, its about the same (the dts track) as the mono track just louder and more spread out around the 3 front channels. There is one minor lipsych issue that I have. In chapter 3, there is a conversation in an office, and there are part english in there to. Fat and another character have an argument, and for a second , the lips sound really out of synch, until they say "****ing order" and the english is in synch but the cantonese is not.

So, if you have a widescreen tv, I highly recommend getting this, if you don't have this title get it, and if you already have it, and are satisfied with it, an upgrade is not reallly necessary but since its cheap, you should get it anyway.
If your like me and only want the gun fights
chapts
1,3 (3 you got a fast forward alot)4,7,8,9,10
Old 07-03-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why pay 15.99 for that when you can pay 9.95 on the same site..using a different link? Check the bargains forum.