Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Boiled region 0 NTSC newly remastered anamorphic and dts!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.528553/qx/details.htm
Its out now, and I just picked up a copy for 15.99. If you've been looking for the fox lober or criterion dvd's, skip them and get this. I'd guess they would look like total ***** compared to this version
Old 06-25-03, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you tell us more about it when you had the chance to see it? I'm interested in audio/video quality and the subs too...
Old 06-25-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but that version is probably the worst one out. Here is a review of all three versions.

"The Mei Ah version of HARD BOILED has little going for it. The big down side of this DVD is that you need to flip it over. If that is not bad enough, you have to watch the copyright warning and go through the menu again to continue. I know I had to flip over the laser disc but I didn't have to sit through the warning and menu again.
The picture quality is barely fair. The overall image is very bright and washed out looking. The picture also jumps occasionally. This can be distracting after a while. It's hard to tell from the screen shots, but there is sometimes a haze over the picture. The print that was used was
definitely not in the best shape."

http://www.loveandbullets.com/hardboiled.htm
Old 06-25-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
Sorry to burst your bubble but that version is probably the worst one out. Here is a review of all three versions.
That review refers to an older release from Mei Ah, not the one that Rypro just bought.

DJ
Old 06-25-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the one that fandango has reviewed is an older copy. I should have it by next week.
Old 06-25-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably about $5 less (shipped) from dddhouse.com
Old 06-25-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Hard Boiled region 0 NTSC newly remastered anamorphic and dts!

Originally posted by Rypro 525
http://hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.528553/qx/details.htm
Its out now, and I just picked up a copy for 15.99.
As of yet, I have not seen ANY reviews of this new re-release. A lot of people have it coming in the mail. So, should be anyday now we get a review.

DDDHouse has it for $10.26
Hivizone has it for $12 minus a 15% discount = $10.43
Old 06-25-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, already have the Criterion and FL... Maybe I'll add a 3rd copy if it turns out to have a good transfer and DTS track.
Old 06-25-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Hmm, already have the Criterion and FL... Maybe I'll add a 3rd copy if it turns out to have a good transfer and DTS track.
C'mon, you know ya can't have enough copies of this classic. Heck, you should be looking for a print of the film as well
Old 06-26-03, 11:11 AM

I wont be getting a third copy of HB or the Killer. FL and CC are plenty for me. Maybe next format... if Criterion gets the rights back and releases a super deluxe restored version. Till then, these 4 dvds are plenty to get a Woo fix.
Old 06-26-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Didn't Mei Ah screw up the soundtrack on their last release, using music from other movies?

I don't have a lot of confidence that this will be much better.
Old 06-26-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Didn't Mei Ah screw up the soundtrack on their last release, using music from other movies?

I don't have a lot of confidence that this will be much better.
I thought that was Anchor Bay, screwing up the soundtrack of A Better Tomorrow. Unless it's happened more than once...
Old 06-26-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad no Woo commentary from the Fox Lorber release, maybe if this transfer is good enough I'll purchase.
Old 06-26-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that was also done by MediaAsia for their initial release of A Better Tomorrow; it was quickly replaced by the "Original Sountrack" version. both are OOP.

Originally posted by theneobez
Too bad no Woo commentary from the Fox Lorber release, maybe if this transfer is good enough I'll purchase.
Old 06-26-03, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by FreshOne
I wont be getting a third copy of HB or the Killer. FL and CC are plenty for me. Maybe next format... if Criterion gets the rights back and releases a super deluxe restored version. Till then, these 4 dvds are plenty to get a Woo fix.
Did you not see the HKL release of The Killer? You couldn't have, because if you did you would have bought it by now.
Old 06-26-03, 05:30 PM

Oh, and by the way; lookie what i found:

I went to Lai Ying (Chinese video store) here in Manhattan yesterday and bought the new Mei Ah Hard Boiled remastered DVD. I did not watch the whole movie last night but only skipped through various parts to see how the DVD looked. I compared it to the other version that I have the Criterion collection DVD and the short answer is: The new Mei Ah kicks the Criterion’s butt when it comes to image quality.

First, I must say that this is a DVD remaster and not a film restoration so the film element still has scratches and dirt that is visible in some scene. Also Mei Ah still haven’t figured out how to cleanly compress their movies as there are still some compression artifacts that are visible in certain scene. But overall the image on the Mei Ah is smooth and naturally sharp unlike the Criterion which is marred by edge enhancement and halos. The colors on the Mei Ah are vibrant and crisp not like the Criterion that is dark and muddy.

I did not checked for subtitles accuracy nor did I have time to evaluate the sound. I will leave that to you guys. All in all I am happy with the new DVD and I have already asked them to order the new remaster of Swordsman 2 and 3 for me.

I have taken several screen captures from both DVD. The pictures can be seen here Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.geocities.com/dtaveras00/first.html

http://www.geocities.com/dtaveras00/second.html

http://www.geocities.com/dtaveras00/third.html

http://www.geocities.com/dtaveras00/fourth.html
I found it here: http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/mod...02&start=40&55
Old 06-27-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SWEET! The remaster looks a lot better than the Criterion!

I wonder how that DTS track is like? I hope they actually tried to do a new mix with new high-quality sound effects.
Old 06-27-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by ipkevin
I hope they actually tried to do a new mix with new high-quality sound effects.
No, the last thing we want is a company like Mei Ah replacing the sound effects with something off a canned library CD.
Old 06-27-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

more from his review
Ok guys I continued checking out the DVD tonight. the subtitles are definitely different than the ones on the Criterion disk. Which one is more accurate? I don't know because I don't speak Chinese.

The remix soundtrack as is usually the case with HK remixes is gimmicky and exaggerated but it is not as bad as the old remixes that Universe used to do. For those of you who don't like remixes, the original mono Cantonese soundtrack is included as well.

Tonight I noticed something that bothers me about the image on this disk. They did not color match all the sequences. What I mean is, that a few sequences that were put together from different prints elements were not color matched to each other but this is me being extra picky. This is typical of all HK DVDs of older films. Even Hong Kong Legends who restores their film elements have been guilty of this in some of their releases. Anyway this is just a pet peeve of mine. The same way some people get really annoyed about inaccurate subtitle, I get annoyed about colors not matching in a sequence So your MMV.

Dennis
Hopefully, I will get mine soon to see how good/bad this color corecting thing is. I sold my fox lober release, so I can't compare subtitles. Plus this is def. the movie, where you just want the main action sequences.
The resturaunt
the warehouse
and lastly
a 30 min hospital scene.
Old 06-27-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$10.26 at DDDHouse...
Old 06-27-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm ordering right......now. For $10 you can go wrong, even though the coverart does look like ass.
Old 06-27-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For that price, I'm sure I won't mind a stop at the Covers forum!

(just ordered it)
Old 06-28-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

very tempted to get this, though I think I'll wait a little longer for more reviews.
Old 06-28-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.geocities.com/dtaveras00/third.html

Just noticed that on the first comparison that the meh ah is cropped differently than the criterion.
Old 06-28-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

its an inch or less.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.