Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So cable never goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So cable never goes down?

So my cable has been down since 1:30 AM this morning. 9 hours my cable has been down. That is horrendous. I can't believe they would have the nerve to air those damn commercials where satellite gets knocked out from bad weather. Yet here I sit where it's beautiful clear skies outside, and I have no cable tv or cable modem. Thanks Comcast.

This might be the final straw. I think it's time for DirecTV.
Old 06-25-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you believe everything a company tells you about its competition?

DirecTV actually NEVER DOES go down, it's just your reception which becomes interefered with (exceptionally heavy rain or snow). And those blackouts usually only last a few minutes.
Old 06-25-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well that's what I meant with satellite going down. I didn't actually think the satellites stopped working. I know that really bad weather can affect it, but I don't think any storm is taking out my service for 9 and a half hours.

Oh now it just went back up.

I don't believe what a competitor says, I just found it ironic that I ALWAYS see advertisements from Comcast saying how unreliable satellite can be with the weather then this goes and happens, and it isn't the first time.
Old 06-25-03, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had Time Warner cable it seems like it was always down. It was actually one of the reasons we switched to Dish Network a few years ago. I laugh every time I see one of those cable commercials.

Brett
Old 06-25-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, whenever I need a good laugh I just listen to a cable commercial listing all the "problems" with satellite.

They may of been true 5 years ago (buy the equipment, no service calls, you sneeze and the signal goes out, etc), but not anymore.
Old 06-25-03, 10:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
DirecTV actually NEVER DOES go down, it's just your reception which becomes interefered with (exceptionally heavy rain or snow). And those blackouts usually only last a few minutes.
That reminds me of when my wife and I decided to switch from cable to dish. She actually had me ask the CSR at Dish Network what contingency plans they had in place if the satellite ever fell out of orbit. He patiently explained they have back-up satellites if that should ever happen...

FWIW, I would recommend Dish Network over DirectTV. My impression is that they have better picture quality and better customer service.
Old 06-25-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Everything about Comcast's ad campaign is intentionally deceptive and misleading. They refer to things as "the dish" so they can make statements that aren't accurate for Dish Network or DirecTV. Add to that the fact that they've been in bed with the evil cable arm of AT&T, and I'm amazed anyone does business with them. Like Chew says, their ads are always good for a laugh.

das
Old 06-25-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's pretty sad when a company has to totally badmouth it's competition like that. Where I used to live, the cable went down for hours at a time constantly. I'm also amused to see you guys get the same cable commercials I do, not surprising I suppose, since they're both owned by AT&T. Do you have the annoying girl in the school uniform (no, not that kind, she's like, 10... sickos!) up here she mentions Canada, so I'm guessing they did duel ads. I always assumed she must be from an american commercial due to her accent.
Old 06-25-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
My parents have Dish and I have DirecTV. I think DirecTV has better picture quality and I have never had a single interruption in my service so far.

If you go with DirecTV, buy a DirecTivo unit. It will change your life.
Old 06-25-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wendersfan
That reminds me of when my wife and I decided to switch from cable to dish. She actually had me ask the CSR at Dish Network what contingency plans they had in place if the satellite ever fell out of orbit. He patiently explained they have back-up satellites if that should ever happen...
Oh, so you're saying your wife made you ask. You, of course, knew the answer all along...

Yeah, I blame a lot of stuff on my wife, too.
Old 06-25-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wendersfan
FWIW, I would recommend Dish Network over DirectTV. My impression is that they have better picture quality and better customer service.
I had Dish for more than 2 years before switching to DirecTV for locals and DirecTiVo.

I think the quality with DirecTV comes and goes. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes not. Especially the local channels.

I never really had that kind of problem with Dish.
Old 06-25-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sherm42
My parents have Dish and I have DirecTV. I think DirecTV has better picture quality and I have never had a single interruption in my service so far.

If you go with DirecTV, buy a DirecTivo unit. It will change your life.
No doubt about it, the DirecTiVo unit is worth it's weight in gold. No loss of PQ, dual tuners, great unit!

I've seen PQ on both DirecTV and Dish, and I'd say DirecTV has a slight edge over Dish. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 06-25-03, 02:08 PM

According to Comcast and ATT, all ex-satellite tv customers are idiots.
Old 06-25-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Cox Cable (for local channels and high-speed internet) and Dish. Cable doesn't go out very often but it does happen and the bad thing is you don't receive a credit on your bill when it doesn't.
Old 06-25-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Adelphia's digital cable commercial makes me laugh
"with satellite you need extra boxes ofr extra tvs"
hate to break it to them but so does digital cable
Old 06-25-03, 03:00 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Brett44
When I had Time Warner cable it seems like it was always down. It was actually one of the reasons we switched to Dish Network a few years ago. I laugh every time I see one of those cable commercials.

Brett
TW's service became so bad a few years ago here, that they scheduled downtime every Sunday during the summer from midnight to 6am. Add to that, anytime we got steady rain for a day or two, the picture looked like a UHF station with a broken antenna.