Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hulk sequel in the works

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hulk sequel in the works

Old 06-25-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hulk sequel in the works

Just saw this on the IMDB:

A sequel is already planned for Hollywood blockbuster The Hulk according to the film's star Eric Bana - even though the first movie has just been released. The Australian star does not know any details of the sequel to the green monster movie, which writer James Schamus is said to have already started work on, because he's too busy filming the epic Troy with hunky Brad Pitt in Malta. Bana says, "I guess we will do one. It might sound silly, but I really haven't thought about it. It's hard to think Hulk when you're in the middle of The Iliad!" It is thought The Hulk sequel will see the green-skinned giant return to his original color of gray, and the two main villains could well be popular comic book characters The Leader and The Abomination.

I'm not too crazy about seeing a gray Hulk. I know that gray was his original color, and that it was changed because gray was too difficult to reproduce during the printing process, but I'm not old enough to remember that. It's probably just a false rumor, but I have to say, keep the Hulk green!
Old 06-25-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eric Bana is signed for two sequels, according to Total Film magazine. They usually know what they're on about.
Old 06-25-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Ang coming back? Im not sure if a lot of people want him back.
Old 06-25-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm not too crazy about seeing a gray Hulk. I know that gray was his original color, and that it was changed because gray was too difficult to reproduce during the printing process, but I'm not old enough to remember that. It's probably just a false rumor,
Not a rumor if you consider it came from Stan Lee's own mouth material that could be questionable.

If you have been a long time fan of the comics you would realize that for a great while, the grey hulk was around.

Maybe this link will help you understand the many faces of hulk that writers had to come up with throughout the years of the Hulks comic book lifespan..
http://www.incrediblehulk.com/incarnations.html

Either way, since the first film had to do the most in explaining the hulk and his origin, you can expect a sequel to be pure smashing action. Much like how X2 was compared to the first.
Old 06-25-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a Hulk sequel. Origin stories for superheros aren't what they used to be. For some reason, Superman and Batman were pretty good movies for being origin stories. But, lately, X-Men, The Hulk and, to some degree, even Spider-Man suffered from having to do origin stories. But X2 was a good sign that the sequel can be better from its origin predecessor. Spider-Man 2 should also be better since we'll have him in the outfit from the beginning. And I'm counting on the Hulk to have more action as well. If Ang Lee doesn't do the second one, I hope they choose someone who will build on what Lee did and add more to it (kind of like how Guillermo del Toro did for Blade 2).
Old 06-25-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I actually am wondering if Universal is going to go through with the sequel if Hulk doesn't clear $200 million.

While I think Hulk is an interesting character, he really does have some lame villains.
Old 06-25-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of the merits of the first film, I felt the ending would have been a fantastic place to walk away from the series. It provided just the right amount of closure.
Old 06-25-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would love to see a sequel. Throw out the exposition and the origin backstory, and you have two hours of HULK SMASH!
Old 06-25-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I enjoyed Hulk well enough, certainly more than I enjoyed the first X-Men and Spiderman, so I'll be glad for a sequal.
Old 06-25-03, 11:15 AM
Banned

As long as Ang ain't attached it should be fine.
Old 06-26-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a workprint of the sequel and the CGI and music sucked.
Old 06-26-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
I saw a workprint of the sequel and the CGI and music sucked.
Old 06-26-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Ang is attached to this one, then count me out. His direction in this one costed it big time...The split frames, the "flame of death" scene and what not really hurt the film..
Old 06-26-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
As long as Ang is back it'll be cool.. HULK was by far the best "introduction"-based comic book movie thus far (and more along the lines of what Spider-man shoulda and coulda been but wasn't. But then if Spider-man didn't suck as bad as it did, I wouldn't have anything to compare against (X-men, Superman and Batman were all good "intro" movies)).

Here's to hoping.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-26-03 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-26-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The split frames and the over the top flame death scene were my favorite parts of the movie.
Old 06-26-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the sequel was set up in the final 20- minutes of the first
picture. You know, the part no one liked? I think it was a smart
way to set up the next film.

If you remember, Nolte's David Banner told Bruce that he needed
his 'energy' in order to stabilize his transformation. If you
remember when David tells Bruce/Hulk to give him all his evergy
while frozen, and Bruce/Hulk yells, "TAKE IT ALL!" then David says
"take it back...It won't stop." David who is in Water form
Mushrooms up into a cloud and you can see a giant brain through
the water. Well, I think that the Gamma charge that releases
his hold on the Hulk stabilizes him (along with the energy he
sapped from Hulk) and he will be the LEADER. He will secretly
seek out Talbot (in the trauma/burn unit) and offer to 'heal' him
with Gamma rays. The experiment will create the Abomination.

The Leader and the Hulk / and the Hulk fighting the Abomination.

Jason
Old 06-27-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only part of the hulk that I liked was the use of the split screens (but not the over the top death scene).
Old 07-04-03, 05:00 PM

I think Ang Lee's use of the split screen was overkill. Some scenes just didn't need it. However I still like the overall film. I thought it was well made and would like a sequel with the same director although I doubt that will happen.
Old 07-05-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I didn't like Ang's vision of HULK.

I think the action scenes were cool but the whole time watching this movie I had the feeling something was missing and that it was waaaayyttttoooosssslllooooow.
Old 07-05-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by flipn408
I think Ang Lee's use of the split screen was overkill. Some scenes just didn't need it. However I still like the overall film. I thought it was well made and would like a sequel with the same director although I doubt that will happen.

I couldn't agree more. Some scenes looked like they benefited from it to make that comic look while other shots and the constant use of the wipes had me annoyed beyond belief. I was waiting for a star wipe.
Old 07-05-03, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Regardless of the merits of the first film, I felt the ending would have been a fantastic place to walk away from the series. It provided just the right amount of closure.
CLOSURE is a word hollywood producers well never understand. Rocky V is one of the best examples of a franchise that should have ended after the third film. Bottom line it's all about the money, know one cares about story lines and characters playing out there story potential. If the producers think they can make money theyll do anything even if it leaves a bad taste in the months of the fans. Godfather 3 comes too mind. Hulk didn't make its money back , but if they find away for the hulk to fight an alien or rocky balboa then a hulk 2 might be worth a rental.
Old 07-05-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the movie continues to freefall due to bad word of mouth, I doubt Ang Lee will direct the next one. Most people did not like Lee's take on Hulk. Actually, that's not the best way to characterize it. More accurately - most people thought the movie was boring with a capital B.

Unless they come up with a way to infuse some life into the franchise - like hiring a new director - people will not take a chance on wasting another 10 bucks the next time. I'll bet they go after someone like James Cameron to do the next one.
Old 12-26-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Studio, actors backing out of "Hulk 2"

Saw this today over on www.darkhorizons.com -- have to say I'm not eagerly awaiting Hulk 2 after the hugely pretentious, muddled and badly cast disappointment the first one was. Interesting behind-the-scenes info here though...

"Hulk 2" Getting Frustrated
Posted: Friday Dec. 26, 2003 11:30pm (Au-EST)
Author: Garth Franklin
Source: _ _
Ok so you can get sequels out of the likes of "X-Men" and "Spider-Man", but the highly talked about sequels to other Marvel properties seem to be struggling. First "Daredevil 2" and the "Elektra" spin-off don't seem to be big on the development agenda, now comes new gossip on the franchise potential of that other not so great comic adaptation of this year from a regular insider:

"Thought you might want some info on a big reshuffle and impasse over at Universal. There's a sequel to "Hulk" happening - it just mightn't be at Universal or with the same people. You might have already heard something about this but I'll shed further light.

Producer Gale Anne Hurd wants a sequel to "The Hulk". The studio doesn't. Eric Bana doesn't. [And you can count Jennifer Connelly out too. She signed a one-picture deal first time around]. And now, it looks like there's going to be problems with everyone involved in merchandising too [the Vivendi arm], because another studio might get it - and they have their own subs.
In short, The film was a major dissapointment. The budget of the first film was near $137 million and the marketing costs were nearly a quarter of that. The end result? apparently somewhere near the $132 million region. In otherwords, a loss. Many involved blame it on the other films on release that week, whilst other said it was merely due to the wrong tactics being used in marketing it (it was more a psychological drama not a superhero film, blah, blah). Screenwriter Jim Schamus was informed his services wouldnt be required this time [finger pointing by the sounds]

Marvel are apparently in pretty heated talks about the sequel to Universal. The studio is understadably nervous about doing another Hulk movie (At one stage apparently, there was talk of a string of games, a new animated series, new tv drama series...but all the ideas got canned once the film flopped) Universal has first refusal on the sequel, and it actually is being written. It's in early draft stage. What will probably happen I was told was that Uni will probably end up taking the film on - but with something like a $80 million dollar budget and a less expensive cast [If they don't want it, look for Sony to get first offer]. Which is just as well, because....

Eric Bana is playing hardball. Despite the fact The Hulk was his first movie role, big one anyway, he's apparently had much better offers since. The deal is Guy Ritchie has been talking to him about a role in a film called Six Shooters or something, and he wants out of Hulk 2 to do that and another project. He's trying everything to see he can't get out of that sequel clause. Most of the folks on the first film arent requied to come back for the second one, which is just as well for them, by the sounds.
One rumor the guys at Vivendi have heard is that they're going to look at casting one of the original contenders for the role. People like Buscemi and Goldblum tested, and even David Duchovny, and that's the name they keep hearing. So don't be surprised if Bana leaves and Duchovny replaces him for the next couple of sequels. [it happened for batman after all].
So what are Universal pouring them money into at the moment - blockbuster wise? There's a couple of things. First, there's a new "Mummy" movie which Brendan Fraser's probably going to come back and do, and then there's a fourth "Indiana Jones" and "Jurassic Park"".
Old 12-26-03, 06:07 PM
Banned

Interesting...
Old 12-26-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cant say that Im dissapointed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.