Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an early showing of this tonight. The whole family enjoyed it. Overall I thought it was well done, with good action scenes and some pretty funny (mostly adultish) humor. I'd give it an 8/10.
Old 07-03-03, 11:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually found the humour slightly annoying and unnecessary. Another flaw was the fact that Brad Pitt is well... Brad Pitt, all the animation in the world can't detach his voice from his face.

On the plus side, the animation is simply stunning. For animation buffs there are countless astounding scenes that for myself had my jaw on the floor. I could go into details but one just has to see this movie on the largest screen possible to marvel at Dreamworks' animators spectacular work. I'd give it a 7/10

Last edited by Giles; 07-03-03 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to give it 6.5/10

10/10 Toy Story 1 and 2
9/10 Finding Nemo
8.5/10 Bugs Life

I found the 3D animation to be fantastic, but the 2D was only good to very good. If they had done all of the animation in 3D the movie would have been amazing.

Action in the movie was done very well, it almost had me on the edge of my seat.

I did not mind voice in the movie, I thought they did a great job for a animated movie. Not as good as Toy Story voices, but nothing is a good as the voices in that movie - it is the animated movie all are judged by.

Good movie for the bargine price (Before 6pm), do not pay full price.
Old 07-07-03, 07:28 PM

Another for Sinbad .. My 9 yr old daughter and I loved it equally. The animation was great and the action sequences was exciting and the pace of the story-telling was spot on.
Old 07-08-03, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant

I did not mind voice in the movie, I thought they did a great job for a animated movie. Not as good as Toy Story voices, but nothing is a good as the voices in that movie - it is the animated movie all are judged by.

Sadly, I think big name voices to Hollywood animated films are becoming the norm... (it shouldn't though IMO).
Old 07-08-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very fun movie, with some fantastic animation and some fine performances. The action is top-rate and will keep you going throughout the film. I brought my two kids (ages 4 and 3) along with my 11 year old niece, and we ALL loved it.

Sadly, I do think this may be one of the last films that employ traditional animation. Ah well... it was a good run.
Old 07-08-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
[BSadly, I do think this may be one of the last films that employ traditional animation. Ah well... it was a good run. [/B]
Unfortunately, I think your right. I saw this today with my 7
year old daughter, and we both loved it (for different reasons).

She just had a good time, I enjoyed the breathtaking animation
and fun story. It's too bad this movie's not doing better than
it is. While I like Computer animated films as well, I'll miss it when
the animated cell movies go by the wayside.

Sinbad:

Jason
Old 07-09-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm, I may have to check this one out after these reviews. Thanks.
Old 07-10-03, 06:31 PM

i read up about this movie and its treatment in Hong Kong.

I was surprised to find out that actor Tony Leung (best known for his work in "In the mood for love", John Woo's "Hard Boiled" and "Infernal Affairs") is dubbing as Brad Pitt's character for the Cantonese dub of "Sinbad". He said a statement about including alot of Hong Kong style slang for this role because it is being marketted to a Hong Kong audience. Now that I think of it, it's a little ironic that Brad Pitt purchased remake rights of "Infernal Affairs" and Tony Leung taking in Brad's role of Sinbad for the chinese dub of "Sinbad".
Old 07-17-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally saw Sinbad and I thought it was enchanting. I liked the way they wove borderline Greek mythology into an essentially original story. First, Eris provided the impetus (Golden Apple incident) that led to the Trojan War and now this!

I loved the voices, particularly Michelle Pfeiffer, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Dennis Haysbert (I feel that many others could have done the Brad Pitt part). Wonderful animation, very nice score.

The story was totally predictable in its outcome but with a great deal of fun and surprises getting there. ***½ (out of ****).
Old 01-14-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saw it and absolutely loved it! It's really too bad it had to compete with Nemo as one of the animation films of last summer. Can't believe I missed it in theaters.
Old 01-14-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I have to say.. I caught this as an in-flight movie and thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't mind owning it.
Old 01-14-04, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the DVD on shelves and been tempted quite a few times. After seein all these comments, I'll probably pick it up next time I'm at the store.

Sadly the American sheeple just aren't interested in supporting any 2D animation that doesn't come out of Disney. I suspect in a few years they'll be the only studio still releasing animated films. And it'll only take one more bomb before they start to consider closing up shop. Or at least cutting waaaay back.

All I can say is, thank god for anime.