Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Series. Region 1, NTSC up for pre-order!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Series (all 26 episodes) is now available for pre-order from Network Video. The price is 99.99 (UK) + 17.09 (UK) shippting for the 9 disc set. The artwork on the actual discs and individual sleeves will reflect the UK editions but the actual outer box will be exclusive to this particular version. Unfortunately the discs won't be available individually. This is a limited edition release (1500 from my understanding), so get there soon.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Network Video. I'm just an RoS nut.
Old 06-24-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will some adventurous distributor HERE with some sense get this in stores?!! Nearly 200 American dollars is robbery, and I'm not talking the 'from the rich to the poor' variety.

For anyone who buys, you'd better hope these are top-notch for the kind of money you'll be paying.
Old 06-25-03, 11:40 AM

I agree the price is a little steep. But as I said, I am an RoS nut. I've e-mailed Network Video asking a few questions about the release. I asked them how limited a release it would be and wether or not it would be numbered. I made mention of the high price and asked if this was because it was a limited release. I also asked what their future intentions were for RoS in region 1 to see if maybe they were guaging interest for a larger release down the road.

Last I heard, Fox owned the Region 1 rights to RoS. Except for the four, two part episodes, they have never been released in the states. It's hard to say if Fox will ever release them. I have my doubts, which is why I purchased the set.

One last thing, I already own the Region 0 PAL sets, which are, IMO, top notch.
Old 06-25-03, 12:24 PM

This is about the same as what it would cost to buy the smaller R0 PAL sets, so getting them all in one big box seems a little nicer.

Sure, I'd like to pay less, but sometimes niche market items are pricey. I paid $150 for my five-disc Connections set and I'll probably do the same again for Connections 2 & 3.

Keep us informed it you find out any more info.
Old 06-26-03, 11:03 AM

Here is the e-mail I received from Network Video:

--
There will only be 2500 released and they will be numbered. The price is £99.99 plus p+p £17.09 equals £117.08. We do not offer a conversion service. I have no information on any further region 1 releases, but if Network decide to release any others the information will be available from the website. The release date is anywhere from the middle 14th to end of July 21st. However this is not guaranteed.
--

I like the fact that they will be numbered. I read the rest of the e-mail and can only speculate that they are guaging interest for a wider release. Obviously, it would hurt current sales if the masses new it was going to be re-released later on. Take it for what it's worth. Buy it. Don't buy it. I'll be watching Robin of Sherwood.

Last edited by dvdbase; 06-26-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-25-03, 01:33 PM

For anyone who's interested, Network Video is now shipping the RoS NTSC sets. Exchange rates changed a bit, and the price was actually $30 (US) dollars cheaper than when I ordered it.

I received mine today, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet, other than checking for floaters. I'm happy to report there were no floaters in mine. A friend of mine had one (the extra features disc) that was scratched up pretty badly.
Old 08-25-03, 03:59 PM

Robin of Sherwood? Can anyone tell me a bit about this series? I see Network Video also has The Adventures of Robin Hood featuring Richard Greene, which is the televised Robin Hood series I remember from my youth. But I don't recall Robin of Sherwood.
Old 08-25-03, 07:57 PM

Robin of Sherwood was a 80's series co-produced by Showtime and HTV (uk company). It was created by Richard Carpenter and starred Michael Praed as Robin of Loxley. RoS combined the Robin Hood legend with magic, mysticism, and mythology.

It also pre-dated Costner's Prince of Thieves idea of having a sarecan sidekick in the band of merry men.

The show originally aired on Showtime from 1984-1986 and lasted for 3 seasons (with three having twice as many episodes as one or two). The popular Irish/Celtic band, Clannad, preformed the music for the series. Their CD "Legend" contains music from the first two seasons.

Other notable stars were Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett in the original SW trilogy) and Robert Addie (of Excalibur fame). John Rhys Davies (Gimli from LoTR) guested on one episode, and Richard O'Brian (of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame) had a recurring role in season 3.

Many people (myself included) consider RoS to be the definitive telling of the Robin Hood legend. It was a quality show all the way around, IMO.
Old 08-25-03, 08:41 PM

Great! Now if I could just order it - I've been getting a "Heavy Traffic" page all afternoon.
Old 08-26-03, 01:30 AM
Cool New Member

You forgot....

That after Michael Praed left the show, the lead went to Jason Connery (son of Sean Connery...an actor I think) who played Robert Of Huntington.

Originally posted by dvdbase
Robin of Sherwood was a 80's series co-produced by Showtime and HTV (uk company). It was created by Richard Carpenter and starred Michael Praed as Robin of Loxley. RoS combined the Robin Hood legend with magic, mysticism, and mythology.

It also pre-dated Costner's Prince of Thieves idea of having a sarecan sidekick in the band of merry men.

The show originally aired on Showtime from 1984-1986 and lasted for 3 seasons (with three having twice as many episodes as one or two). The popular Irish/Celtic band, Clannad, preformed the music for the series. Their CD "Legend" contains music from the first two seasons.

Other notable stars were Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett in the original SW trilogy) and Robert Addie (of Excalibur fame). John Rhys Davies (Gimli from LoTR) guested on one episode, and Richard O'Brian (of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame) had a recurring role in season 3.

Many people (myself included) consider RoS to be the definitive telling of the Robin Hood legend. It was a quality show all the way around, IMO.
Old 08-26-03, 07:44 AM

Re: You forgot....

Originally posted by Vanth Dreadstar
That after Michael Praed left the show, the lead went to Jason Connery (son of Sean Connery...an actor I think) who played Robert Of Huntington.
I didn't forget. I was just trying to avoid spoilers. But since you brought it up, it has to be one of the best handled transitions of a leading character in a series, ever. The story behind the transition was just too cool. It only took a few episodes before you felt like Connery was there all along.
Old 08-26-03, 09:43 AM

I was finally able to order this set. I e-mailed them and told them about my troubles then suddenly it was fixed! It looks like the individual discs are available at Amazon UK and other UK sites, but I wanted the full set with the supplementary disc.

And to think, before yesterday I had never heard of this show or set. Hopefully, they still have them in stock. I might just order The Adventures of Robin Hood with Richard Greene also, just because I grew up with it.
Old 08-26-03, 01:01 PM

Wow, now that you mentioned the Jason Connery thing, it rang all kinds of bells. I used to really enjoy this this when I was 10-11, and haven't given it a thought untill now.
Old 08-26-03, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by BigT
I was finally able to order this set. I e-mailed them and told them about my troubles then suddenly it was fixed! It looks like the individual discs are available at Amazon UK and other UK sites, but I wanted the full set with the supplementary disc.

And to think, before yesterday I had never heard of this show or set. Hopefully, they still have them in stock. I might just order The Adventures of Robin Hood with Richard Greene also, just because I grew up with it.
The single discs and single season sets available at Amazon.co.uk are Region 0 PAL discs. They won't play correctly on most US dvd players, though there are a handful that do PAL -> NTSC conversions.

From my understanding, the R1 NTSC set is only available from Network Video.

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-26-03, 11:23 PM

Wow! They are Region 1. I am all-region, PAL capable. I just went with the assumption that since these were from a British site, they must be R2 PAL and didn't notice the region spec at the bottom (or the fact that this was pointed out above). Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 08-27-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i FINALLY got my order through this morning (~1 a.m.) after days of encountering that "Heavy Traffic" page. Now the wait begins....

This excerpt frm. the order confirmation e-mail is worrying me a little though:
Total-
Pos Qty Price Price Description
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 1 99 99 Robin of Sherwood (9 DVD- region 1)

Shipping costs 09
-------------------------
Sub-Total .08
Tax 0
Total Amount Due .08

Yours Sincerely
Network Video
Huh...? Wha...? Hah?!?

Last edited by RaMMaR; 08-27-03 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:10 PM

My order confirmation included the correct price with shipping. Yours is rather strange.
Old 08-28-03, 08:31 AM

That confimation e-mail certainly looks strange. I would definitely e-mail Network Video just to confirm your order went through.

I didn't even think to look earlier, but I just checked the number on my boxset, and it is #006 (of 2500, I think). The number tag is located on the bottom of the outer box.
Old 08-28-03, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by dvdbase
That confimation e-mail certainly looks strange. I would definitely e-mail Network Video just to confirm your order went through....

i sent Network Video an e-mail regarding the screwy order confirmation and received a reply late last night. Here's their reply:
Sorry about the confusion but everything came out fine on your actual
order. I have included the prices 7952130 £99.99 plus p+p £17.09 equals
£117.08.

Katherine Adshead
Network Video
DM
That's a relief. Part of me was hoping they'd say something like, "the e-mail's correct, you owe us just 8¢" . i'll be more relieved when i finally have the set in my grubby lil' hands. Man, i want this set like... yesterday! It's been years since i last saw RoS on PBS. Did Network Video send you an e-mail stating when the set shipped?

Last edited by RaMMaR; 08-28-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-28-03, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by RaMMaR
Did Network Video send you an e-mail stating when the set shipped?
They didn't send me an e-mail stating it shipped. But I did receive an e-mail from the company they use for billing, stating that I had been charged. It came right after Spirit of Sherwood posted that Network had begun shipping the sets. I received it about a week later. They do make you sign for it, so if you're not around when they deliver it, you will have to pick it up or tell the post office to try again.
Old 09-17-03, 11:35 PM

I'm just curious to know if anyone has received their sets yet. I just got an email confirming I'd been billed and I'm just wondering how long it took for the set to come after that.
Old 09-18-03, 04:07 AM

i just got mine today - a little over 3 wks. after ordering it. i've got #0720 of 2500. The box (that the set was mailed in) looked a little banged up & seemed like it was cut open, but the disctronics "security tape" was left intact (needless to say, i was a little worried). When i unpacked the boxed set, i found that the shrink wrap was cut @ the opening & the 2 discs in Series 1, Ep.1-3 were loose. Thankfully no damage to the discs, cases, or the set itself. *whew*
i've just finished w/ the first disc and i can't wait to view the rest! Much Mahalos to dvdbase for the link!
Old 09-18-03, 09:22 AM

Glad to hear it was okay. Im kind of worried about that packaging problem because I do prefer my packaging to be intact and all. But hell, for ROS i'd suffer just as long as all the discs work and they are in fact Region 1.
Old 09-18-03, 10:54 AM

Mine arrived yesterday for about a three week delivery time. Just like RaMMaR's, the shipping box was beat up - the cardboard is just not very strong and they use shredded paper for filler - but the box set survived without even a ding, and none of my discs came loose. Surprisingly, the label was hand written, and rather poor handwriting at that. For about $25 shipping, I expected a more professional job. Mine was #300 of 2500.

I haven't watched any of the episodes yet and don't know when I can, but I certainly hope the reality lives up to the hype - I bought these solely on what was said in this thread and IMDB; I've never seen it before.
Old 09-18-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Based on content alone, those of you who shelled out the money should be very pleased--this was a great and unique series. I hope the DVDs are mastered well, I'll be eager to hear your reviews. I am however going to hold out for a less-exclusive and more local Region 1 release which I have a gut feeling will happen in the coming years. The rights to this cannot just sit with a UK video company forever. Once those 2500 copies are all sold, and I think they will be, I think they will come to their senses and use this 'test marketing' for inquiries with other distributors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.