Reload this Page >

Any 8-bit stuff for GBA?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any 8-bit stuff for GBA?

Old 06-24-03, 04:45 PM
Wag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any 8-bit stuff for GBA?

I did a search and couldn't find any similar topics, so hopefully I am not dredging up an old discussion.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any collections of 8-bit NES games for the GBA? I was moving some boxes around and saw my NES and games, and was thinking it would be cool if they released Zelda 1 and 2 on one cartridge for GBA. I know for the most part, the game ports to GBA are SNES and Genesis games, basically stuff from the 16-bit era. And I know there are emulators and all that if you want NES action, but still there is something special about playing it on an actual console.

My line of thinking was that the NES games were pretty small and they could probably fit a few (or a bunch) on each GBA cartridge to make it worth a purchase. Maybe have themed collections (like a baseball one with NES baseball, bases loaded, baseball stars, etc.) or just series cartridges, like the complete Mega Man or something.

So is this something anyone would be interested in? Are there any plans for something like this? What are themed sets or series you would like to see?
Old 06-24-03, 04:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you get the e-card reader there are several old 8-bit games available that way. You can also upload these same games to your GBA via Animal Crossing. However, I don't know of any cartridges featuring old 8-bit games.
Old 06-24-03, 05:34 PM
Wag

That's true, I forgot about the e-card reader. However, that is only for a few specific games right? I still think a 10 game cartridge or something would be cool.

Anyone else think so? (crickets, crickets, crickets....)
Old 06-24-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'd personally like to see EA's NHL 97. I've been addicted to the Java version of it on the internet, and would like to be able to caryy it around with me.
Old 06-24-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could definitely go for a themed cartridge of any of the following:
  • Mega man Series
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  • CastleVania Trilogy
Old 06-24-03, 11:09 PM
Retired

There were a few 8-bit remakes on the Game Boy Color, and the GBA plays them so you can pick them up. I never had a GBC so I'm not sure what all their is. I know you can get the original Super Mario Bros.

There's a Metal Gear game as well, but it wasn't a remake, but a version of Metal Gear Solid, it got great reviews though.
Old 06-24-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recall that the Mario that was on Gameboy was actually more then slightly different than the original.

I actually played some 8 bit stuff the other day and found it nearly impossible to do... the graphics just got to me too much. I couldn't belive I used to play that. On some games it wasn't as bad as others, but I'm just glad I have Mario Allstars!
Old 06-25-03, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall that the Mario that was on Gameboy was actually more then slightly different than the original.
Mario Land was it's own game, but the original NES Super Mario Bros. eventually made it's way to the Game Boy Color format.