Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Undeserved Oscar NOMINATIONS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the hell is going on? People are getting Oscar nods, and it gets me motivated to watch the blessed film - then I'm totally made to look like a jerk for renting the film in the first place. For example: I was with my father, and I recommended the film Sexy Beast to rent because of Ben Kingsley's Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. Needless to say, my father ordered me out of the house once the film was finished. He was disgusted with me.

Last night, I watched Catch Me If You Can, where Christopher Walken received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. After watching the film, I'm said WHY?? Quite frankly, the film was simply just okay, and Walken brought nothing special to the ensemble.
Old 06-24-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Undeserved Oscar NOMINATIONS

Originally posted by Buttmunker
Quite frankly, the film was simply just okay, and Walken brought nothing special to the ensemble.
I just picked up CMIYC and haven't had a chance to watch it.

However, I can say this...

No matter what movie Walken is in, he ALWAYS brings something special.
Old 06-24-03, 03:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Although I love the Oscars and I watch religiously every year, I must say that there's never been a nomination for a major award that I agreed with. Usually, they choose very good films and performances, but not the five best.
Old 06-24-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loads I don't agree with, of course. One that comes to mind is the acting from Training Day. Specifically, Ethan Hawke, but I wouldn't have given Denzel's 'bad guy' a nomination just because he played a different kind of character. But he won, so hurray for the Academy. Two in one night. Ha ha, yeah!
Old 06-24-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of them.

And let's leave it at that before we get into a titanic argument. After all, the Oscar decisions are left up to the Gods and monsters that control Hollywood, not us ordinary people.

Besides: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=271350

What's to get angry about? They didn't win so be happy. And Sexy Beast , and Ben Kingsley, both rule beyond measure.
Old 06-24-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
People are getting Oscar nods, and it gets me motivated to watch the blessed film - then I'm totally made to look like a jerk for renting the film in the first place. For example: I was with my father, and I recommended the film Sexy Beast to rent because of Ben Kingsley's Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. Needless to say, my father ordered me out of the house once the film was finished. He was disgusted with me.
That makes absolutely no sense... Just because somebody recieves a nomination for acting doesn't mean it's a good or "clean" movie. But then, I always watch a movie before I recommend it. Anyway, I don't understand that part of your post - since Kingsley did deserve a nom for that role. Walken was a little unexpected last year, as Ethan Hawke was the year before.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-24-03, 04:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Kingsley was quite good in Sexy Beast, but I do fault it since it's more or less the same performance he gave in Gandhi.
Old 06-24-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Kingsley was quite good in Sexy Beast, but I do fault it since it's more or less the same performance he gave in Gandhi.
Yeah, I also got Gandhi: The Revenge by accident... stupid Columbia House 'Director's Selections'.
Old 06-24-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shakespeare in Love

When this movie garnered all the nominations it got I lost alot of respect for the academy.
Old 06-24-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally posted by FiveO
Shakespeare in Love

When this movie garnered all the nominations it got I lost alot of respect for the academy.
\

If you know anything about Shakespeare, you would realize that this is a very well written film and easily has one of the most literate scripts to come out of "Hollywood" since... well, um... ever.

My vote for worst nom would be Ethan Hawke for T.D. - wtf?
Old 06-24-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Besides: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=271350
That thread was for Undeserved Oscars (wins), while this was is for nominations (hopefuls)
Old 06-24-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buttmunker
That thread was for Undeserved Oscars (wins), while this was is for nominations (hopefuls)
You're absolutely right. The threads are completely dissimilar and have no bearing on each other whatso-very-ever. None of the content of this thread would fit into the previous thread at all. This is a thread extremely worthy of its autonomy.
Old 06-24-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Baz getting snubbed for moulin rouge.
Old 06-24-03, 09:57 PM
mwj

Steven Soderbergh Erin Brockovich

I really thought this was a lame movie. I still like Soderbergh as a director though.
Old 06-24-03, 10:04 PM

Maybe it's because I didn't really care for the film, but I couldn't believe Holly Hunter was nominated for The Firm, much less won.
Old 06-24-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I've always loved that bit where Mohandis said "...and then Churchill asked if he could stick his fumb up my bum! Can ya belie' dat?!?"
Old 06-24-03, 11:15 PM
Banned

The Oscars are a sham.

From what I've heard, winners are determined by how much watercooler talk there'll be the day after.

Of course when Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Sydney Poitier won the same year had to be pure coincidence
Old 06-25-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by pagemaster7
Maybe it's because I didn't really care for the film, but I couldn't believe Holly Hunter was nominated for The Firm, much less won.
She didn't win Best Suporting for The Firm, she won Best Actress that year for The Piano. She lost Best Supporting to her Piano costar, the tasty Anna Paquin. Uh...I meant she's tasty now, not then.

Honk!
Old 06-25-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor
The Oscars are a sham.

From what I've heard, winners are determined by how much watercooler talk there'll be the day after.

Of course when Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Sydney Poitier won the same year had to be pure coincidence
The Oscars are absolutely a sham. The only thing that redeemed them in my eyes this year was awarding the best actor award to Adrien Brody and the best director award to Roman Polanski. I honestly thought that Rob Marshall had the directing award locked up, but I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't win.

As for the worst nominations, how about Roberto Benigni for A Beautiful Life? The movie was decent, but in no way did he deserve a nomination over Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan!
Old 06-25-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slop101
[B]\

If you know anything about Shakespeare, you would realize that this is a very well written film and easily has one of the most literate scripts to come out of "Hollywood" since... well, um... ever.

Well said it's one of the best written of all time. I would put it in the same category as an Annie Hall or All About Eve
Old 06-25-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
...As for the worst nominations, how about Roberto Benigni for A Beautiful Life? The movie was decent, but in no way did he deserve a nomination over Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan!
Both Benigni and Hanks were nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in 1999. Benigni won, which may or may not have been a sham, but that is outside of the scope of this thread. A better statement would be that Benigni's nomination took one away from Jim Carrey for The Truman Show.

Frankly, 1999 was a bad year for nominations across the board. First of all, The Thin Red Line got an Oscar nod for Best Picture, which is just wrong. Billy Bob Thornton got a nod for A Simple Plan -- love Billy Bob, but this was not his best role. For that matter, Judi Dench got a nomination -- and an award -- for Shakespeare in Love, when she had extraordinarily minimal screen time.

This was the year when Shakespeare in Love beat out some heavy, heavy hitters -- Saving Private Ryan being probably the front-runner, and the one most likely to stand the test of time.
Old 06-25-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going back to Training Day....Ethan Hawke? Please. I would have put in Brian Cox for L.I.E.
Old 06-25-03, 08:43 PM
mwj

Denzel Washington in Hurricane. One of the worst nominations in the past twenty years or so. Awful lie-filled movie with another angry-righteous-"innocent"-black-man-done-wrong performance which DW seems to specialize in.
Old 06-25-03, 10:07 PM

Shakespeare in Love is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am quite familiar with Shakespeare's many theatrical efforts, and the movie neither enlightened that knowledge nor gave me anything new to consider w/r/t the Bard. It was pure hollywood fluff elevated to art by the Miramax marketing machine. If this had the most literate Hollywood script has to offer, it's time to start over from scratch.

That said, my personal least deserving nominations award would go to Ghost's best picture nomination. Hello? I'm also stupefied by Jennifer Connelly's nomination and win. Talk about an good acting vacuum... That woman should still be doing time in community theatre.

Ben Kingsley was brilliant in Sexy Beast. Brian Cox was equally brilliant in LIE. Tough call. Did Ethan Hawke really get a supporting nomination that year? It was probably his best work, but still...

I was most distraught by Oscar nominations the year that Julia Roberts won for Erin Brokovich. If memory serves, that was the year that Ellen Burstyn was nominated for Requiem for a Dream and Gillian Anderson was not nominated for House of Mirth. I can't remember whether or not Bjork was nominated for Dancer in the Dark, but those three actresses put Ms. Roberts to shame that year.
Old 06-25-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by barrym71
Shakespeare in Love is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am quite familiar with Shakespeare's many theatrical efforts, and the movie neither enlightened that knowledge nor gave me anything new to consider w/r/t the Bard. It was pure hollywood fluff elevated to art by the Miramax marketing machine. If this had the most literate Hollywood script has to offer, it's time to start over from scratch.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Just couldn't stomach this movie one single bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.