anyone else having trouble finding by brakhage: criterion

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been looking and i can't find it ANYWHERE. my local cd world usually gets all the new criterion releases and sells $39.99 MSRP's for $27.98, but no by brakhage. called all the borders anywhere close to where i live and no one has them. i guess i'll have to go the online route, no big deal, but i was surprised at the lack of stores carrying this
Old 06-23-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's more than a few online stores that are sold out as well... I'm sure that this was pressed in fairly small numbers and they just underestimated the initial demand.
Old 06-23-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I noticed this too. I'll probably have to hit up DVD Planet.

Edit... nevermind, they are out of stock also
Old 06-23-03, 07:49 PM

Try Borders.
Old 06-23-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ed Crane
Try Borders.
Originally posted by endlessmike
called all the borders anywhere close to where i live and no one has them.
Old 06-23-03, 09:28 PM

the most frustrating part was that the computer at my local borders actually said they had copies in stock. after having 3 employees help me search, they were no where to be found.

it's easily been the most frustrating disc i've ever been trying to find. i was looking for harold and maude at the same time as brakhage and i never expected to find the former before the latter, but that's what happened.
Old 06-24-03, 08:46 AM

Got mine at Borders, but it was about a week or so after the release date.

Ask someone to check the computer (not the public-access/customer one, but the computer that only employees can use). I did this on a Monday - the woman told me that 1 copy was on the way and should be in by the end of the week. Sure enough, a copy was sitting on the shelf by Saturday.

Apparently our other 2 area Borders have 1 copy each in stock, as well. Don't give up with them - they're sometimes a little slow in getting shipments and/or putting inventory out on the shelves. Good luck.
Old 06-24-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only got one in at my Borders.

They can order one for you or do a store request to get a copy into that store's inventory.
Old 06-24-03, 12:18 PM

Amazon shows it to be in-stock, at a decent price ($29.95), and with free shipping . . .
Old 06-26-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was at Borders today and couldn't find it... at first. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted it in the locked case where they put the boxsets. Score! Whee!.....MSRP! Ouch! Ah, hell, fun to splurg from time to time.
Old 06-27-03, 02:34 AM

I didn't have any problem in fact I've got it in my DVD player right now.
Old 06-28-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pre-ordered mine at DDD and still don't have it...

Saw about three copies at the Virgin Megastore in Chicago.
Old 06-28-03, 07:40 PM
Banned

My local Borders had several. They have a Criterion Collection section... They sell them all at right around full price... I can't imagine ANYONE is buying these. They have had the same ones FOR YEARS. In the same places. Yet they keep ordering more and more. I just don't understand. Of course, it's just my luck that the ONE I really, really wanted was Hearts and Minds and they didn't get that one in. I had to finally order it online.

I'm right now trying to get together the 34.95 to purchase Salo. It has been there for years and I just recently learned of the unbelievable price it is fetching on Ebay. I would have the money but my damn paycheck hasn't come yet. They've got just about every OOP Criterion there including Hard Boiled (THREE COPIES!) It's almost comical. So I definitely suggest making your local Borders the first stop if you are looking for OOP Criterions. I can't suggest it for new ones as you can find them for much less online than full price.
Old 06-28-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
My local Borders had several. They have a Criterion Collection section... They sell them all at right around full price... I can't imagine ANYONE is buying these. They have had the same ones FOR YEARS. In the same places. Yet they keep ordering more and more. I just don't understand. Of course, it's just my luck that the ONE I really, really wanted was Hearts and Minds and they didn't get that one in. I had to finally order it online.

I'm right now trying to get together the 34.95 to purchase Salo. It has been there for years and I just recently learned of the unbelievable price it is fetching on Ebay. I would have the money but my damn paycheck hasn't come yet. They've got just about every OOP Criterion there including Hard Boiled (THREE COPIES!) It's almost comical. So I definitely suggest making your local Borders the first stop if you are looking for OOP Criterions. I can't suggest it for new ones as you can find them for much less online than full price.
Do they have Sid & Nancy? If so, I would like to talk to you about purchasing it.
Old 06-29-03, 03:07 AM

I wouldn't believe this without pics. Every Borders store within 20 miles of me I've been to many times and none of them have any OOP criterions, especially Salo.
Old 06-29-03, 10:24 AM

I have an idea...if they have This is Spinal Tap & The Killer...we can talk
Old 06-29-03, 11:03 AM
Banned

I will go back to the Borders store sometime this week and get back to you guys. Not a N00b, does your local store have a specific Criterion Collection only section? Mine has a little square piece of posterboard up behind it that says "The Criterion Collection" and there are two entire shelves devoted to it. It is in the corner right next to the anime and foreign films. I'm in North Carolina. I can understand if you are skeptical, I could not believe it either. Some other OOP's that caught my eye while I was there were the original dvd of "Beauty and the Beast" (right next to the newly released one) and the original "400 Blows" disc as well which I own (next to the new Antoine Doinel boxed set)

I will check for the others brought up here.
Old 06-29-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will go back to the Borders store sometime this week and get back to you guys. Not a N00b, does your local store have a specific Criterion Collection only section? Mine has a little square piece of posterboard up behind it that says "The Criterion Collection" and there are two entire shelves devoted to it. It is in the corner right next to the anime and foreign films. I'm in North Carolina. I can understand if you are skeptical, I could not believe it either. Some other OOP's that caught my eye while I was there were the original dvd of "Beauty and the Beast" (right next to the newly released one) and the original "400 Blows" disc as well which I own (next to the new Antoine Doinel boxed set)

My Borders does have a lot of Criterions, but no specific section for them. They are placed in with their genre usually (drama or foreign mostly).
Old 06-29-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Brain Stew
My Borders does have a lot of Criterions, but no specific section for them. They are placed in with their genre usually (drama or foreign mostly).
Same here. The main saving grace is that a large percentage of Criterions are foreign films, so the hunting is minimized.

But I'm still curious why they had By Brakhage in the locked glass case with the boxsets, instead of in the documentary section. They have other 2-disc Criterions in their respective sections.
Old 06-29-03, 11:54 PM

Screw Salo. Would you mind getting me This is Spinal Tap? j/k
Old 06-29-03, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Same here. The main saving grace is that a large percentage of Criterions are foreign films, so the hunting is minimized.

But I'm still curious why they had By Brakhage in the locked glass case with the boxsets, instead of in the documentary section. They have other 2-disc Criterions in their respective sections.
When you see a movie locked it's probably missing it's security tag. They do that all the time.