Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Finding Nemo for the kids???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding Nemo for the kids???

I do not have access here at work to any gaming sites and did not see anything on this title in EGM which I just received over the weekend. Any reviews yet or anyone here have a chance to take a look??? The kids would love it as far as the characters go but how is the game itself? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Here you go.

Should help you out quite a bit. (Just picked it up for my kids, too!)
Old 06-23-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but not really young kids. (too hard for them)

GoLUCKY's quick finding Nemo Review.

There seems two game styles in Finding Nemo which are alternated through out the game. So far, the only characters that I have played as are Nemo, Nemo's dad, and Dory. There are plenty of cutscenes from the actual film.

The first game type is the normal platformer. This is a side scroller with 3d graphics. The Puzzles are easy enough just avoid spikes, eels, blowfish, spikey slugs and such, and get from point a to point b. There are other challenges like pick up the colored stone and place them in the proper cup (which looks like a tiny vocano), find some stars and such. You can complete a level without beating all the side problems.

The second game type is the race me/follow me/run away from me type. This is a 3rd-person chase cam type game, where you are following Dory while going though rings. This can be very difficult, because if you miss rings you slow down and lose sight of Dory. Plus you have to dodge octopi and eels.

Unfotunately it's too hard for my daughter (5yr), so she's been making me play it with her as backseat driver.
Old 06-23-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Is anyone here an IGN Insider? They have a GC / PS2 head-to-head comparison that they call "shocking" and say that it's only worth getting or renting on one system. Freeloaders like me can't find out any more than that, but since they gave the PS2 version a 7.0 and the GC a 6.0, I'm assuming the PS2 version came out the winner (but that hardly seems shocking, if the higher rated game comes out on top). If anyone can give me some info, I'd appreciate it as the game's on sale this week at Target.

edit: Just read the GC review, and they make it clear that this is the inferior version due to excruciating load times and stuttery framerates. Chalk these faults up to lazy porting (which is something anyone who bought Crazy Taxi for the PS2 knows all about). I guess the "shocking" thing is that the game should load quickly on the GC compared to the PS2 and it doesn't (gasp).

Last edited by Decker; 06-23-03 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by goLUCKY
Yes, but not really young kids. (too hard for them)

Agreed. My 8 year old hasn't had any trouble, but I have a 3 year old boy (who can actually play a few games rather well), who had enough trouble with it that he has lost all intrest.
Old 06-24-03, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just built a Gaming PC for a client's 8 year old and pre-installed the two PC Nemo games. One was for younger kids and the other was for kids of all ages. They looked like they were well made - I didn't spend alot of time with them. I just watched the movie though and thought it was good.
Old 06-24-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
<small>Finding Nemo Head-to-Head
Loading... Loading... Loading... Still with us? See this shocking GCN vs. PS2 comparison now!

June 23, 2003 - When we first came up with IGN Insider, we took a long look at all of our existing IGN channels to find topics and areas we don't already cover; we searched for content that would be interesting to die-hard gamers and IGN fans alike. After thinking about issues that frustrate us, we discovered that there is one major trend that has emerged since the latest wave of gaming consoles sprang to life: developers frequently release their titles across multiple consoles. The editors at IGN try to do their best to write about each gaming system and objectively review all the major titles, but there is one thing we don't often do: compare games across platforms. Is Madden still worth a purchase on GameCube, or does the controller hinder the experience? Is Burnout just as thrilling on PlayStation 2 as it is on the often more robust GameCube and Xbox platforms?

If you're at a conflict every time a game debuts on multiple platforms, this feature is for you. The Head-to-Head series of articles cuts through all the different takes the editors have on games, compares the facts, and presents you with one uniform opinion on all the versions.

About Our Head-to-Head Comparison
The following comparisons were drawn assuming the highest level of available equipment. To be completely fair, we examine all versions with the notion that everyone has HDTVs, surround sound setups, wireless controllers, etc.
Example One: The PC version of a game features poor mouse and keyboard control, but supports controllers. We do not fault it for its substandard mouse and keyboard control.

Example Two: The PlayStation 2 version of a game supports four-player, but it requires the use of a multitap. The functionality is still there. We do not fault it for it.

Example Three: The GameCube and Xbox versions of a game support progressive scan, but the PS2 does not. The games all look graphically identical, barring the benefits of progressive scan. The result: an even tie between the GameCube and Xbox.
Due to this criteria we base our decisions on, we highly recommend that you read the detailed reports for every area of comparison -- there are many facts that might sway your decision based on your setup.

Finding Nemo (GCN, PS2)
This videogame adaptation of Pixar's summer blockbuster CG movie by the same name is a model citizen for our Head-to-Head comparison series. While the lines are often blurry and slight between various versions multi-console titles, Finding Nemo is only worth buying or renting on one console.

Furthermore, because Finding Nemo is a well done children's title, this comparison is especially valuable for parents.

We recommend that everyone reads the results. Simply because they are so astounding. The PC version has been discluded since it's a different developer and overall game. The Xbox version has been discluded due to resources and the fact that we think the GameCube and PS2 versions are the target systems due to demographics.

Features & Control
This is not a complicated game. It loosely follows the movie, sending players on a number of quests that usually include finding something. There is really no extra content save for the Finding Nemo movie trailer.

In other words, THQ's Finding Nemo videogame doesn't have a great amount of features or depth of control -- it is largely a children's title -- and thus it's an even tie in both departments.

There is no better choice for features or control, other than choosing your own favorite game pad.

Winner: GameCube/PlayStation (Tie)

Sound
Finding Nemo's soundtrack was created specifically for the game itself. In other words, renowned composer Thomas Newman's heart-tugging score is only heard in the FMV cut-scenes taken from the movie itself. So, as far as music quality goes, both the GameCube and PlayStation 2 sound nearly identical. One does not top the other.

It's the same for the large amount of dialogue that was recorded exclusively for the videogame. You really can't tell one apart from the other.

Everything is offered up in basic surround sound, but let's get serious. Chances are, if you're not a huge Pixar fanatic, your kids are going to be playing this. And they don't care much about surround sound support. If they do -- hats off to you. They're on their way to being a well-rounded, respectable adult.

It's another tie for the sound.

Winner: GameCube/PlayStation 2 (Tie)

Graphics
If you haven't read any of the Head-to-Head up to this point that's all right. Honestly, this is the first area of concern -- and you're going to see some differences too. Developer Traveller's Tales clearly developed Finding Nemo for the PlayStation 2. The differences in visuals are pretty substantial. Where Finding Nemo is vivid and full of color on the PlayStation 2, it is dull and almost dirty on GameCube. Everything is decidedly washed out, and the framerate … oh, the framerate! On the PlayStation 2 the wonderfully vibrant game runs at 60 frames per second, admittedly with some hitches. However, on GameCube it's mostly a 30 FPS title, and a poorly performing one at that.

Click for detailed image.

We think the above picture says it all. We haven't doctored the pictures to make them look so different. There really is a huge difference in quality. PlayStation 2, though it does feature a more jagged, aliased look, is undeniably much sharper and prettier.

Winner: PlayStation 2

Presentation
The opening synopsis for this Head-to-Head said there were huge differences between the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions. We weren't sensationalizing the facts. The load times are incredibly different! Are you sitting down GameCube fans? There's trouble in paradise.

Load Point GameCube PlayStation
Boot-up 120 sec. 84 sec.

1st Level 105 sec. 18 sec.

If you check out the above table, you'll see that GameCube's load times are ridiculous! What took under 20 seconds on PS2 takes nearly two-minutes on GameCube. Also, while it's not included in the table, when you quit out of the game it takes over a minute to get back to the main menu on GameCube, whereas it takes just over 10 seconds on the PlayStation 2. Clearly something is wrong with the GameCube version in this regard.

Confused, Nemo? So are we.

Then there's always the question of how FMV turned out on each system. Pixar's animated film is one of the most stunning examples of 3D filmmaking and the good news is that it's gone mostly unmarred with its transfer to both GameCube and PlayStation 2.

Click for detailed image.

For obvious reasons, though, the win goes to PlayStation 2 on this one.

Winner: PlayStation 2

Final Verdict
This is what happens when ports go bad. Finding Nemo is an otherwise enjoyable children's title, but Traveller Tales' inattention with the GameCube version is very unfortunate.

If there's one thing we know about children, it's that they lack patience. When they want something, they want it immediately. Get the GameCube version of Finding Nemo your kid and all you're going to have is a nice coaster.

Overall Winner: PlayStation 2
</small>
Old 06-24-03, 09:49 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I got the PC version of Nemo's Underwater World of Fun (for $16 from Costco, which came with a free ticket to see the movie)... and my five year old loves it. It practically had it beat in the first afternoon.

Go buy IMHO.