Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Talking Heads recomendations

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-23-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just heard "(Nothing But) Flowers" on Launchcast radio a minute ago and I got to thinking about how I do not have any of their recordings. Since I saw "Stop Making Sense" on sale at Borders for $12.99, I will probably pick that up, but what would you recommend after that? Should I go with albums or just a greatest hits package?
Old 06-23-03, 09:09 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Studio albums:

Buy their first four albums in the order they were released, then stop. You'll own everything you need:

Talking Heads '77
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear Of Music
Remain In Light

Nothing else by them is worth listening to, for me at least.

Compilations:

If you can find the compilation called "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads", buy that. It is much, much better than the horrible "Sand In the Vaseline" compilation that came out later.
Old 06-23-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
The 2-disc compilation "Sand in the Vasoline" is a pretty good overview of their carreer. In just a few short years, they changed their style dramatically and matured from new wave to more refined pop (mush as the Police did). My two favorite albums are Fear of Music for the early stuff and the wonderful Little Creatures for the later period.
Stop Making Sense is a great album, but it makes a better DVD and all I can think of when I listen to the CD was how much was cut to make it the length of one record. Buy the DVD instead.
Old 06-23-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
Stop Making Sense is a great album, but it makes a better DVD and all I can think of when I listen to the CD was how much was cut to make it the length of one record. Buy the DVD instead.
Did you listen to the 1999 version? I hear it has the original nine tracks, plus 7 restored.
Old 06-23-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
(Nothing But) Flowers is off of their last studio album - the only one I don't have. The best albums are the three produced by Eno. I would probably start with More Songs About Buildings & Food &/or Speaking In Tongues. They're both really fun. Quirky, but easy to get into. Then go to Fear Of Music & Remain In Light which are both a bit heavier. Talking Heads:77 & Little Creatures are both at least half great, but I don't think very good places to start. True Stories can wait for last. I don't have Sand In The Vaseline, but just looked it up & it does look to be a pretty good collection.
Old 06-23-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Did you listen to the 1999 version? I hear it has the original nine tracks, plus 7 restored.
Didn't know that. I bought my version in '87 for my first CD player.
Old 06-23-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wendersfan
Studio albums:

Buy their first four albums in the order they were released, then stop. You'll own everything you need:

Talking Heads '77
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear Of Music
Remain In Light

Nothing else by them is worth listening to, for me at least.

Compilations:

If you can find the compilation called "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads", buy that. It is much, much better than the horrible "Sand In the Vaseline" compilation that came out later.
I agree with everything said here, except:

I'd start with "More Songs..", then get "Fear of Music", then the first one, then "Remain in Light". "RIL" is their best, IMO, but that album is so complicated and densely packed with ideas that you need to hear it in context before jumping in. "MSABAF" and "FOM" are the most accessiblke of the bunch, IMO.

Remain in Light still sounds about twenty years into the future today. It's amazing that the band was that advanced in 1980.
Old 06-23-03, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"(Nothing But) Flowers" is a great song, but the album (Naked) isn't very good -- I wouldn't start with it. The Sand in the Vaseline compilation is, I think, pretty good -- one of the few greatest hits albums I've kept. You should definitely start with Stop Making Sense. I have a soft spot in my heart for Little Creatures (my first Talking Heads album), but I agree with the others -- start with the earlier stuff.
Old 06-23-03, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Hiro11
I agree with everything said here, except:

I'd start with "More Songs..", then get "Fear of Music", then the first one, then "Remain in Light". "RIL" is their best, IMO, but that album is so complicated and densely packed with ideas that you need to hear it in context before jumping in. "MSABAF" and "FOM" are the most accessiblke of the bunch, IMO.

Remain in Light still sounds about twenty years into the future today. It's amazing that the band was that advanced in 1980.
The reason I said get them in release order is because that way you can see their development from minimalism to whatever Remain In Light is... It does hold up remarkably well, although Fear Of Music has always been my favorite of theirs.
Old 06-23-03, 11:24 AM

3 words: Stop Making Sense
Old 06-23-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
3 words: Stop Making Sense
I guess it's settled then. I will pickup Punch Drunk Love and Stop Making Sense (CD) this week .
Old 06-23-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys would really stop after their first four recordings? There are very few bands with as many albums as they own where I like just about all of them ('cept "Naked").

"Stop Making Sense" might be my fave.
Old 06-23-03, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
You guys would really stop after their first four recordings? There are very few bands with as many albums as they own where I like just about all of them ('cept "Naked").

"Stop Making Sense" might be my fave.
Yes, yes I would. Admittedly, I still own Speaking In Tongues, but I haven't pulled it out in years. "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)" is the only great song on that album, although "Swamp" and "Making Flippy Floppy" are both OK. After that (Little Creatures, True Stories, etc.) are, IMHO, completely worthless.
Old 06-23-03, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I guess it's settled then. I will pickup Punch Drunk Love and Stop Making Sense (CD) this week .
I ecourage you to go straight for the Stop Making Sense DVD if you've not seen it. It's brilliant. Wonderful music in a theatrical presentation. "Once in a Lifetime" is one of my all time favorite five minutes of film. I get chills.
Old 06-23-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 404 Posts
The movie Stop Making Sense was my favorite concert flick, so the DVD would be cool. With the new CD version with the new songs, I would say it is a great place to start with their music.
Old 06-24-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
Studio albums:

Compilations:

If you can find the compilation called "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads", buy that.

I agree that "The Name Of..." is a great album! It's actually a live set; the first is of early Heads, the second is later Heads with a large lineup (including Adrien Belew on guitar).

My question is - why is this not available on CD?!?!

Alan
Old 06-24-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What's different with the Stop Making Sense cd vs. the DVD?

I love More Songs About Buildings and Food the most, closely followed by Fear of Music, then '77, then Remain in Light. The others all have their moments.

When I originally bought MSABaF I hated it. I tried it a month later and after a few listens it clicked-becoming an all-time fave.
Old 06-24-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
What's different with the Stop Making Sense cd vs. the DVD?
I think the DVD has extra songs not on the shorter CD. The recordings are the same.

wendersfan, wow... I don't consider "Little Creatures" or "Speaking in Tongues" to be worthless at all. I love those recordings. They're different, but not too shabby.
Old 06-24-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the DVD has extra songs not on the shorter CD. The recordings are the same.

wendersfan, wow... I don't consider "Little Creatures" or "Speaking in Tongues" to be worthless at all. I love those recordings. They're different, but not too shabby.
How many songs are performed in the movie? The new release has 16 songs on it instead of the old 9.
Old 06-24-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geez, I'm out of touch! I didn't realize 4 years ago they made a new version of the CD with the whole concert on it. I usually buy a recording and never go for the updated versions.

I just checked my DVD and there are 16 songs from the concert, plus two bonus tracks ("Cities" and "Big Business/I Zimbra").
Old 06-24-03, 08:26 AM

Well, I didn't say "Speaking In Tongues" was worthless, I said everything after it was. To me, "Speaking In Tongues" is the transitional album - everything before it is classic, everything after it is crap. In and of itself it's not a bad album at all, but coming after "Remain In Light" it just seems a little lame, I guess.

BTW, I didn't care as much for "More Songs About Buildings and Food" when I first heard it, either. I don't think it's as consistently strong as "Talking Heads '77". My understanding is that Byrne was a little short on material and had to dig up some earlier songs that didn't make it onto the first album.
Old 06-24-03, 11:45 AM

Just because nobody else mentioned it, "Stop Making Sense," the concert movie was directed by Jonathan Demme, of "Silence of the Lambs" and "Philadelphia", amongst others.
J
Old 06-24-03, 12:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Geez, I'm out of touch! I didn't realize 4 years ago they made a new version of the CD with the whole concert on it. I usually buy a recording and never go for the updated versions.

I just checked my DVD and there are 16 songs from the concert, plus two bonus tracks ("Cities" and "Big Business/I Zimbra").
on the Japanese laserdisc I own, the bonus tracks are actually re-edited back into the actual movie, not as a supplement as found on the DVD. Of course the DVD is superior with 5.1 sound and letterboxed, the Japaneses laserdisc isn't. Haven't yet heard the commentaries on the DVD.
Old 06-24-03, 07:34 PM

I listened to More Songs... today and I was surprised how similar it is to Little Creatures. Can anynoe else hear the similarities or am I losing it?

T
Old 06-26-03, 12:42 AM

Hey! Don't front on True Stories! I loved the movie, album, and book. Hook Line and Sinker. I do agree that there is a greatness to the early work, but there are subtleties on Little Creatures and True Stories that are very beautiful.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.