Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

When watching tv shows-do you watch the commericals?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Everything that I record onto DVD has the commericals removed and whenever I am watching sports on tv -I change the channel during the breaks.So basically no I don't watch them.I can't see sitting for an hour watching a show thats only 42 minutes long-thank goodness for the editing devices on DVD recorders.Even AMC has commerical breaks.
Old 06-22-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do my best to either ignore them, mute them, or change the channel.

I hate commercials. I make it a point to buy from companies that don't shove advertising down my throat. I don't need to see soda commercials all the time; I know what is out there, but since these companies have so much money to spend on commercial time, I figure they don't need my money, so I buy Jones Soda, Stewart's, etc. Same with other products. Like Nike. If they can sign some high school kid for 90 million dollars before he has played a single NBA game, then they obviously have too much money, and don't need any more of mine. The list goes on.

So basically, I try not to watch commercials, and support companies that don't advertise too much.
Old 06-22-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch commercials. Some are actually entertaining.
Old 06-23-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the time I flip around the stations when the commericals are on and it drives my family crazy.

I do like the movie previews.
Old 06-23-03, 12:44 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change channels or even keep video tapes in my vcr that I can watch during the commercial break. Thankfully because of picture in picture I don't have to worry about missing my show.
Old 06-23-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

only during the superbowl...
Old 06-23-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Live=muted or channel-surfing

Taped=Ffwd
Old 06-23-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes, but normally commercials mean it's time to grab some more TV-Watchin-Grub!
Old 06-23-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since everything is time-shifted via my DirecTiVo, the only commercials I watch are previews for things that interest me. Whether that be upcoming TV shows or movies.
Old 06-23-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Unless it is sports, I hardly ever watch live TV anymore. Thanks to ReplayTV and Commercial Advance (and Quick Skip on my older model), I don't watch any commercials. What a time saver!
Old 06-23-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't need to be "entertained" by idiotic commercials, I'm entertained enough by the show that I'm watching. TV commercials are insulting and infuriating.

Honk!p
Old 06-23-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I do my best not to watch commercials anymore.

What I sometimes do is watch recorded shows on my ReplayTV in a P-i-P window while the current show I'm watching is showing commercials. This allows me to get almost a half hour recorded show watched during the hour of real time viewing.

Otherwise, I just skip commercials when I watch my recorded shows all the time.

I do feel like I'm missing out on some of the pop culture of commercials, but the time saved is worth the ignorance.
Old 06-23-03, 09:27 AM

I have a Tivo. I use the 30-second skip (enabled by a sequence of button presses that changes the skip-to-end button into a 30-second skip button). A few clicks and I watch all of 2 seconds of the commercial prior to the show starting up again unless I overshoot and have to go back a bit.
Old 06-23-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Uhoh... I can see the networks coming in here and using this thread as a reason to sue Tivo...

I hardly watch commercials anymore because of DVRs. You don't realize how much time you waste on commercials until you have one, and can watch a 30 minute show in 20 minutes...

I do realize that commercials are essential to get network television for "free" and to subsidize sports, cable, etc. I also realize that if everyone were to skip commercials, the networks would all have those dumb banners which makes it impossible to miss an ad. But I feel like I'm just not the demographic they're appealing to... I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial that made me want to buy something. I've seen cool commercials, sure, but half the time I can't even remember what they were advertising. The only use I have is to see if a movie is coming out soon.

For instance, this Got Milk ad campaign is a huge hit for the dairy industry. I'm thinking to myself, how can people forget about milk? The same with the beef, pork, and california cheese commercials (though I do like the california cheese cows...)
Old 06-23-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, not because I like them or find them interesting.
I just sometime forget what I'm watching and miss the rest of the show, so if its something I'm really into, I'll watch the commercials.
Old 06-23-03, 06:42 PM
mwj

I try to avoid commercials, unless hot women are involved.