Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What's your favorite Britcom?

tasha99
06-22-03, 02:12 AM
I've recently bought some British comedies and really enjoyed them--and wonder what I should buy next. I've got The Black Adder, Complete Bean, The Thin Blue Line, and Coupling 1&2 so far. My favorite of the bunch is probably seasons 2 and 3 of The Black Adder, but it sort of depends on my mood. What else do you think I should get? I have a region free player, and don't mind getting foreign releases.

tasha

wendersfan
06-22-03, 10:32 AM
The Office

It's the funniest show I've ever seen.

Groucho
06-22-03, 10:38 AM
If you claim to be a fan of British comedies, and don't own Fawlty Towers, then I say SHAME. SHAME ON YOU! Easily one of the funniest shows to ever grace the airways.

saturn_78
06-22-03, 07:06 PM
Are You Being Served and the Vicar of Dibley are my favorites.

mikeporter
06-22-03, 07:50 PM
I own:
RED DWARF S1/S2
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Mr. Bean - Whole Bean
Fawlty Towers
Prisoner - Complete Collection (although not a comedy, it is british and shares the same cult status as others listed)

tasha99
06-22-03, 08:54 PM
Thanks you guys. I remember liking Fawlty Towers when I first saw it, but I rented disc one from Netflix a few months ago and didn't think it was all that funny. :eek: I know--weird, because I used to think it was funny. Maybe I was too stressed out when I watched it (I think rented it during midterms) or else I've lost part of my sense of humor.

tasha

Hemulen
06-23-03, 02:35 AM
To the Manor Born (only series 1 has been released on dvd so far, but thats a start.)

Hemulen

daViincii
06-23-03, 03:53 AM
Although not a britcom per se, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was an excellent British miniseries, and pretty bloody hilarious too. The DVD is also inexpensive and has enough 'oomph' on it to warrant a purchase.

RKillgore
06-23-03, 07:44 AM
For an R2 release, look into Black Books. Since you like Blackadder, Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie are excellent as Jeeves & Wooster which is available in R1.

Hiro11
06-23-03, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by RKillgore
Since you like Blackadder, Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie are excellent as Jeeves & Wooster which is available in R1. Yessssss. My favorite. I've got the first two seasons.

meritocracy
06-24-03, 12:52 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Absolutely Fabulous (By far my number 1)
Additionally, I've always enjoyed:
Red Dwarf
Mr. Bean
Fawlty Towers

theneobez
06-24-03, 12:59 AM
Guys. . .I may be shooting for the stars here, but I was watching PBS one day, just by chance, and this show was on. I don't know the name, so that's what I'm hoping to find. . .
Here's what I remember: This guy and his friends are getting ready to watch some home video of that guy having sex with his girlfriend. Eventually a quarrel happens. . .but at the end I do remember after it all messes up with the guy and his girl, he's asleep, he wakes up and the girl comes back telling him to ask her to marry him. She gets naked, although it doesn't show it of course. His friend, drunk, is in the room too and it ends with that. . .I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me about this show, it was hilarious

RichDB10
06-24-03, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by wendersfan
The Office

It's the funniest show I've ever seen.

Yes..excellent show, another very good one is 'Phoenix Nights' although to fully appreciate it you'll have to come from the north of england (purely due to the brand of humour and 'culture' portrayed)

For older 'classic' british comedy you can't go far wrong with the excellent 'Only Fools And Horses'

d2cheer
06-24-03, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
If you claim to be a fan of British comedies, and don't own Fawlty Towers, then I say SHAME. SHAME ON YOU! Easily one of the funniest shows to ever grace the airways.

Yes the absolute BEST!!!

mwj
06-24-03, 08:11 PM
The Young Ones

Sebring98
06-25-03, 01:24 AM
Guys. . .I may be shooting for the stars here, but I was watching PBS one day, just by chance, and this show was on. I don't know the name, so that's what I'm hoping to find. . .
Here's what I remember: This guy and his friends are getting ready to watch some home video of that guy having sex with his girlfriend. Eventually a quarrel happens. . .but at the end I do remember after it all messes up with the guy and his girl, he's asleep, he wakes up and the girl comes back telling him to ask her to marry him. She gets naked, although it doesn't show it of course. His friend, drunk, is in the room too and it ends with that. . .I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me about this show, it was hilarious

I believe you're referring to Coupling. Sounds like the last episode of Season 1.

garmonbozia
06-25-03, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Sebring98
I believe you're referring to Coupling. Sounds like the last episode of Season 1.

Yup. Last episode of Season 1 "The Cupboard of Patrick's Love".

Get Coupling Season 1 on dvd now before the bastardized American version starts airing this fall :yack:

garmonbozia
06-25-03, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by tasha99
What else do you think I should get?

Well, I have almost every britcom released in Region 1, so listing EVERYTHING I recommend would probably be as useful as showing you a link to a list on Amazon.......

but I will recommend my absolute favorite......and that is Absoultely Fabulous. I recommend getting the Complete Series 1-3 box set as it comes with an extra disc of bonus material. Series 4 was not as good as Series 1-3, but it had its moments. And coming on Septemeber 30th are the 2 Ab Fab specials (The Last Shout and Ab Fab in NY) on one disc called Absoultely Fabulous: Absolutely Special. The Last Shout is a must own if you like the show.

Jennifer Saunders is the funniest woman on the planet and nothing can convince me otherwise.......so, I also recommend getting the 2 French & Saunders dvds available in Region 1, and they are nicely priced. Two more are coming out in September.

renaldow
06-25-03, 08:53 AM
Hands down it's 'Bottom.' I don't think Bottom has ever been released in the US, but if you're a fan of The Young Ones and you have a region free player I highly suggest you pick up the DVD, you'll be glad you did. It's funnier than hell.

theneobez
06-25-03, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys! I checked Amazon. . .Coupling Season 1 is only 18 bucks. . .any idea on when Season 2 will be released? Thanks again, I really loved that show.

caligulathegod
06-26-03, 01:07 AM
Father Ted.

garmonbozia
06-26-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by theneobez
Thanks guys! I checked Amazon. . .Coupling Season 1 is only 18 bucks. . .any idea on when Season 2 will be released? Thanks again, I really loved that show.

Well, when I wrote BBCAmerica shop asking this question, they responded "later this year". So sometime within the next 6 months, lol.

antonzap
06-30-03, 04:24 PM
Fawlty Towers, without a doubt!

RKillgore
07-01-03, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Hiro11
(Concerning Jeeves & Wooster)
Yessssss. My favorite. I've got the first two seasons.
At last, someone else knows of this overlooked gem! And considering that you can get the four-season mega set from DeepDiscountDVD for less than $70 (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070585), I urge people to give J&W a try.

Also for people who are looking for Coupling, it's available through Columbia House, as an enrollment DVD too. That's the disc that finally convinced me to start a membership.

RichDB10
07-01-03, 06:30 AM
Another series i'd forgotten about that may interest you the 'other side of the pond' :D

'I'm Alan Partridge'

buckee1
07-01-03, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by garmonbozia
Get Coupling Season 1 on dvd now before the bastardized American version starts airing this fall :yack:

Agreed!

Doesn't that American Version just look god-awful!

mikenyc
07-01-03, 09:23 AM
I used to like "Keeping up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By", but the local pbs outlets have beaten them to death. Lots of high quality scripts, and acting by Judi Dench and the Lionel character, there.

AbFab has gotten to be a cliche of it's former self. The first shows were EXCELLENTLY radical, and again, high quality scripts and acting, all around. Unfortunately, the "last" episode produced, wasn't up to par with the earlier efforts.

French and Saunders, solo, prove they have the talent, but their efforts don't get recognized, this side of the water, it seems.

"Vicar of Dibley" is truly a remarkably, well done comedy gem, that doesn't get the replays here, it should. I understand that the maid/and Roz the assistant actors on Frasier, optioned the show for US production, with the Moon character playing the Vicar...but it hasn't panned out, fortunately. Can you just imagine what the American-ized version would be ? EGOD !

buckee1
07-02-03, 01:55 PM
My favs are:

Are you being served?
Take A Letter Mr. Jones
Yes, Minister
Keeping up Appearances
Butterflies are Free
Red Dwarf

Anyone know the name of the Britcom with the "superhero" husband and the "normal" wife? I've only caught bits & pieces of this sitcom and it sure is funny.

Natedogg
07-02-03, 02:24 PM
There is one show with mostly old people in it... Very funny.. One scene I remember is an old guy was building some old submarine where you lay down in it, and got his friend or something rather inside of it to try it out... It's been a long time since I saw it on pbs so my description might be a little vague.. anyone have any clue on it by some far out chance?
Nevermind, after a bit more research I found out that it was a show called "Last of the Summer Wine" .. The shows I watched were hilarious!

Other shows I love are:
Bean
Absolutely Fabulous

RichDB10
07-02-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by buckee1
Anyone know the name of the Britcom with the "superhero" husband and the "normal" wife? I've only caught bits & pieces of this sitcom and it sure is funny.

I think you may be referring to 'My Hero' featuring Ardal O'Hanlon from the Father Ted series in the main role.

And i've mentioned it before in this thread etc you really should try to catch the following if they are showing on any of your American/Canadian networks.

Alan Partridge - Knowing Me Knowing You
I'm Alan Partridge
The Day Today
Phoenix Nights
Drop The Dead Donkey
Spaced

grenier
07-04-03, 11:29 AM
I have to go with The Young Ones.

indycohiba
07-05-03, 01:54 AM
Thinking about checking out "The League of Gentlemen. Is it very good?

smokedragon
07-05-03, 03:04 AM
The Office

Fawlty Towers

Mr Bean

Steptoe And Son

Only Fools And Horses

Porridge

Spitting Image

Just to mention a few

garmonbozia
07-05-03, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by indycohiba
Thinking about checking out "The League of Gentlemen. Is it very good?

I highly recommend it. At times quite sick, almost always very twisted, and totally unlike anything that would ever aired on American tv.

I just really hope that series 2 gets released on dvd in Region 1 too.

wago70
07-07-03, 11:50 AM
Keeping Up Appearances is my favorite. I live with the male version of Hyacinth so I can relate to Richard's situation.

Victorfranco
07-08-03, 01:59 AM
Anybody besides me remember "The Goodies", a Pythonesque series from the early/mid 70s. Very surrealistic.

Cottington
07-11-03, 03:09 PM
The best has GOT to be the very posh and genteel, yet catty <b>MAPP AND LUCIA</b> which is actually available in R1 as a Season One Box Set. Its truly the stuff that all Britcoms should be like and I highly recommend it!! If you like 'Keeping up Appearances' you would love this one. Its even better.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006RJ63/qid=1057950483/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_6/104-4052182-2828705?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

BDB
07-13-03, 03:02 AM
Ah yes Alan Partridge, Steve Coogan is great in that series.

I love Fry and Laurie, those 2 guys I could watch in anything, which is why Jeeves and Wooster is hilarious.

You should also try and get the movie Wilt, its hilarious, based on an hysterical Tom Sharpe book. Search for the R2 DVD on amazon uk.

Mel Smith And Griff Rhys Jones, are similar to Fry and Laurie and are in Wilt, and many other comedy shows.

forestial
07-14-03, 01:11 PM
Anybody remember "Whoops Apolocalypse" from, oh, sometime in the early 80's? I think there was only one series, and for reasons I never understood it seemed to disappear without trace. The story was based on some sort of accidental superpower nuclear standoff triggered by terrorists.

Rammsteinfan
07-15-03, 11:35 AM
I have Red Dwarf, Are you Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, and Mr Bean Collection.

Red Dwarf is my Favorite all time followed by AYBS, Fawlty, Black Adder, then Bean.

Grandmaster C
07-15-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by caligulathegod
Father Ted.
Glad to see that somebody else likes that show. Father Jack is the best. :D

I also enjoy Keeping Up Appearances ("The Bucket household, the lady of the house speaking!"), Mr. Bean and Are You Being Served.

ScottyWH
07-17-03, 09:25 PM
Surprised no one else has said this but for me it's gotta be "Ali G". That dude is hilarious.

jdslater
07-19-03, 06:21 AM
i'm from england and i've got a lot of comedy DVDs, these are the ones I would recommend if you can get them:
SPACED-very funny very surreal,throws everything in,the writer/star loves comics and films and throws loads of references into every episode.
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN-very twisted comedy,very dark buy hilarious series about a small town of misfits,watch it and you wish you were "local"!
BRASS EYE-a very contriversal series,it took on subjects in a spoof news formatIt got a lot of flak in the U.K. press for bad taste but proved that minor celebrities would do anything to get their face on t.v.
BO' SELECTA-a very wierd series about celebrities,a man goes around like a stalker talking to c-list celebs,and they also do impressions of david blaine,ozzy and micheal jackson.very funny if you understand british humour.
all the disc's I,ve mentioned can be purchesed from amazon.co.uk or play.com.They do put alot of extras on these discs so you do get alot of value from them.

BigPete
07-19-03, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by jdslater
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN-very twisted comedy,very dark buy hilarious series about a small town of misfits,watch it and you wish you were "local"!

I believe this can still be caught on Comedy Central from time to time if you wish to get a quick taste.

atimoc
07-20-03, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Natedogg
There is one show with mostly old people in it... Very funny.. One scene I remember is an old guy was building some old submarine where you lay down in it, and got his friend or something rather inside of it to try it out... It's been a long time since I saw it on pbs so my description might be a little vague.. anyone have any clue on it by some far out chance?

This is a long shot but there's a homeguard-themed series called "Dad's army", where most of the characters are old people. IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0062552)

My favourite is "Yes, minister", I have the first two seasons of it. Blackadder is very good too. Mr. Bean used to be very funny but I've seen the episodes so many times that it has become a bit old.

Sebring98
07-21-03, 12:05 AM
Good news Coupling fans. The second season is being released on 10/28, according to barnesandnoble.com. I think it is also available for pre-order on bbcamerica.com, but the link they give for it is dead, so I'll keep checking period periodically to see if it's back up.

SteveL
07-22-03, 07:40 PM
Keeping up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, and Are You Being Served, all for the same reason: Characters trying (unsuccessfully) to maintain an image of formality & upper class.

Butterflies: A comedy that took a serious turn as it progressed. I like Geoffrey Palmer.

The Good Neighbors (also called, I think, The Good Life)

Numanoid
07-23-03, 03:51 PM
Bottom is my favorite sitcom, British or otherwise, of all time.
Another vote for Spaced, which is a modern classic in its own right.
And yet another vote for The Office, although it gets a little serious towards the end of season 2.

PalmerJoss
07-25-03, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by caligulathegod
Father Ted.

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned this yet. I love this show and have already picked up S1-3 on dvd, and for me it's the funniest britcom since Monty Python.

Mikael79
07-27-03, 03:17 AM
Father Ted is one of my favorites. It doesn't get 1/2 of the credit it deserves. Anyone who hasn't watched it should give it a chance!

mllefoo
07-27-03, 05:05 PM
Waiting for God is quite a good show. I love that cantankerous old battleaxe, Diana and her insane old friend Tom.

I third and fourth Father Ted. Father Jack is by far my favorite priest. :D FECK!

shanester
07-28-03, 06:30 AM
Benny Hill :up:

David Blair
07-28-03, 12:44 PM
RED DWARF

Best brit com ever! At least my favorite anyway. :)

Laser Movies
07-30-03, 12:58 PM
I've always liked Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, and Mr. Bean. One I have not seen mentioned and thought is very good is One Foot in the Grave. I keep hoping it will make it to DVD like the other series mentioned.

jblock
07-31-03, 11:26 AM
My favorites are Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served and the Thin Blue Line

Others I enjoy in small doses because I've seen them so many times on PBS: Chef, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean, As Time Goes By, Last of the Summer Wine, Goodnight Sweetheart and Vicar of Dibley.

Sparrow
08-02-03, 09:11 PM
It's a pretty even toss up between Fawlty Towers and Mr. Bean.

Love them both for the physical comedy and the sheer absurdity of most of the skits. Great stuff.

RKillgore
08-02-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Victorfranco
Anybody besides me remember "The Goodies", a Pythonesque series from the early/mid 70s. Very surrealistic.
I do. Found out about an R2 release:

An 8-episode DVD entitled "The Goodies - At Last!" was released in the UK on 28 April 2003. It is Region 0, PAL format. Sales for this first DVD set were so strong that a second DVD is being planned, although we do not expect it be released this year.

"The Goodies - At Last!" contains the episodes 1. Tower of London (aka Beefeaters), 2. Gender Education, 3. Kitten Kong, 4. The Goodies and the Beanstalk, 5. Kung Fu Kapers, 6. Lighthouse Keeping Loonies, 7. Earthanasia, and 8. Saturday Night Grease.

The set also includes bonus materials including commentary from the Goodies on 3 episodes, out-takes, and storyboards.

bhk
08-03-03, 08:32 PM
I really liked 'The Brittas Empire'

Dai
08-04-03, 10:52 AM
I have the following:

Blackadder
Complete Bean
Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf 1&2

and i'm going back to the UK at the end of the month and I'll be picking up:

Bread 1&2 (I highly doubt this would be released in R1)
Two Ronnies
The New Carry-On Collection

Can anyone else suggest anything from R2 worth picking up?

The Exister
08-05-03, 02:35 PM
The League of Gentlemen
Father Ted
Any of the Harry Hill shows...

roger_d
08-07-03, 06:22 PM
In the late 70's early 80's PBS showes a british comedy where the star of the show works in an office and everytime he thinks or sees his wife, he makes a face and you see pictures of hippos and elephants. When he looks at his secectary, he sees her naked and having sex with her. What is the name of that show? I can't remember the name at all.

RKillgore
08-08-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by roger_d
In the late 70's early 80's PBS showes a british comedy where the star of the show works in an office and everytime he thinks or sees his wife, he makes a face and you see pictures of hippos and elephants. When he looks at his secectary, he sees her naked and having sex with her. What is the name of that show? I can't remember the name at all.
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. The hippo cut was a reaction to his mother-in-law being mentioned. It's available on DVD in R2.

roger_d
08-08-03, 05:31 PM
Heeeey great thanks RKillgore, i appreciate the help.

RichDB10
08-08-03, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dai
I have the following:

Blackadder
Complete Bean
Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf 1&2

and i'm going back to the UK at the end of the month and I'll be picking up:

Bread 1&2 (I highly doubt this would be released in R1)
Two Ronnies
The New Carry-On Collection

Can anyone else suggest anything from R2 worth picking up?

Would have recommended 'The Office' but i believe this is soon to be released in R1......you may like 'Phoenix Nights'..personally along with 'The Office' i think it's the best new comedy on british screens and i very much doubt it will come to R1 anytime soon if at all.

martinp
08-09-03, 09:53 AM
Im Alan Partridge
Brass Eye

Both on good DVD's and Im Alan Partridge has two commentary tracks for the whole series.

Mistafadedglory
08-10-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by mwj
The Young Ones

The Young Ones are the greatest! I have all 4 BBC VHS tapes. Anyone know if they are on DVD?

garmonbozia
08-10-03, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
The Young Ones are the greatest! I have all 4 BBC VHS tapes. Anyone know if they are on DVD?

yes, and it has been for quite a while. try searching at any online store or on dvdpricesearch. 3 dvd set.
disc 1 - series 1
disc 2 - series 2
disc 3 - extras