Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whirlwind Heat......WOW!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Whirlwind Heat......WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirlwind Heat......WOW!

I first heard about the three-piece band, Whirlwind Heat, about three months ago when reading an article about The White Stripes. In the article, Jack White was giving much praise to the band, and they eventually signed on with V2 Records, the same record company as The White Stripes. Jack White produced their album, Do Rabbits Wonder? and Brendan Benson was the engineer. Since I'm a huge fan of both TWS and Benson, I thought, "If they like Whirlwind Heat enough to sign them and help produce their album, they must be pretty good." So, I decided to listen to a few samples of their songs. After listening to about three of them, I couldn't take anymore. I thought it was horrible!

Fast-foward three months later...

Last night, I got to go to the free 99x concert in Atlanta featuring The Hiss, Whirlwind Heat, and The White Stripes. After The Hiss finished their set, I thought, "Oh God, now I have to sit through this crap for an hour." When Whirlwind Heat took the stage and started playing their first song, Red, I was blown away. They have so much energy, especially David Swanson, the lead singer. He and the bassist were dancing around all over the place. As far as Swanson's dancing goes, he reminded me of an insane, hyperactive version of Beck and Mick Jagger combined. Their music is so unique and full of energy that I was almost in a trance during their entire set. On their last song, Swanson ended up with the guitar standing on the bass drum, and the bassist ended up helping out playing the drums. The whole thing was so awesome. Definitely one of the coolest, most energetic shows I've ever seen.

So, today, I went to my local record store and bought their album, and I love it! Seeing them live definitely helped, though. If you ever get a chance to see them, or if you are planning to see The White Stripes on their current U.S. tour, be sure you get there in time to see these guys. They're amazing!

By the way, as for the show, The White Stripes were awesome, of course. I got there at 5, got a good spot right up against the fence, and stood in that same spot until 11. For some reason, some of the idiots in the crowd kept throwing bottles at the bands. There was one time when a full water bottle even hit the lead singer of Whirlwind Heat in the head. I thought it was funny, though, that 99% of the people in the crowd only knew songs from Elephant, and a couple from White Blood Cells. Anytime they would play a B-side or something off of the self-titled album or De Stijl, nobody really cheered or knew any of the words.