Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did Moulin Rouge! flop in american theaters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since
a) it since has a big dvd following
b) It was nominated for a bunch of oscars (Nichole got screwed)
and
c) Chicago was very popular with audiences
My thought is that prieviews made it look a little wierd and it came out in summer months.
Old 06-21-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Well, in all honesty, it was more than a little weird; it was A LOT weird. Audiences didn't really connect with it because it asked them to do more than just sit there and be entertained. A lot of people don't like being challenged like that when they pay for a movie ticket.
Chicago was little more straightforward with audiences and the fact that it wasn't a musical in the traditional sense helped it IMO. (i.e. people bursting into song in the middle of a narrative) Also, as you said, it pretty much gained its following with the DVD and the crowd that didn't want to give it a chance in theaters gave Chicago a chance.
Old 06-21-03, 08:53 PM
mwj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Period musical with contemporary music is too different and confusing. Also did it have much competition when it was released? They sometimes seals a movie's fate.
Old 06-21-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts
To me, Moulin Rouge's fatal flaw is that it is a musical with recycled music. Even the Even Stevens musical has original songs.

I thought it was sort of mediocre until they did the Hills Are Alive ditty. Then I thought it was god-awful. To each their own though--Moulin Rouge comes up at dinner parties I go to all the time, and even though I'm in the 'it stunk' group, there are a lot of people who really loved it. I think it's a love or hate film--I'm not sure I've met anyone who was ambivilent about it.

tasha

*not sure if that answered why it wasn't a hit in theaters. I'm not sure it was marketed well. I had no idea what it was when it was still on the big screen.
Old 06-21-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
There's a big difference between being challenging and being weird for weird's sake. Moulin Rouge was almost a pandering sort of weirdness, trying soooo hard to be artsy, but ending up just being pointless and idiotic.
Old 06-21-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by mwj
Also did it have much competition when it was released? They sometimes seals a movie's fate.
Yes, it was released right in the peak of the summer movie season. A largely-forgotten movie, The Animal, outgrossed it the first weekend, but fortunately MR made more at the box-office eventually.

I think the wide release hurt it. Chicago started out in limited release and gradually expanded, and was better off having been released in the winter, around the awards season.
Old 06-21-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's because the movie is so polarizing and because it never tries to appeal to anyone. It's weird, it's very artistic, and it's a musical -- but far from a traditional one.

Many people like it for the artistic values, and I can see that, but it is not something I'd recommend or even choose to watch.
Old 06-21-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Audiences didn't really connect with it because it asked them to do more than just sit there and be entertained.
IMHO that's all Moulin Rouge asked of the audience. The film has as much depth and subtlety as an inflatable kiddie pool, but it certainly was flashy and entertaining.

I think it didn't connect with American audiences that well because it was released to a Summer movie crowd in the height of blockbuster season, the "plot" was wafer-thin, its ultra-flashy, hyperkinetic editing style was probably a put-off, and many of the cover-tune musical numbers were perceived as "silly."

I thought it was a decent little movie that would have benefitted from a staggered winter-time release a la Chicago.
Old 06-21-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think Moulin Rouge flopped. It did make around $60 million, which isn't bad. Also, it was a musical, when musicals had basically been abandoned for decades in Hollywood. If anything, it helped bring the genre back. Yeah, Chicago made a lot of money, but you really can't compare the two. I mean simply because one action movie does well, doesn't mean they all will.

Quality doesn't really enter it either. It was released in the summer, so the Oscar nods came way later, and many Oscar nominated films this year didn't make $60 million (see The Hours, Adaptation, Frida, and the Pianist).

And I'd agree that releasing it in the summer was not a good move. The summer audience is teenager and kid driven. Adult movies don't do well. And although this movie had some appeal to both adults and teens, it's a hard sell to get teens to go to a musical about a turn of the century French prostitute.

I actually was pretty interested in the movie, and was pleased with it. But that's just me, I'm a movie geek.
Old 06-21-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because there was an exclamation point at the end of the title.
Old 06-21-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a feeling Chicago would not have done as well as it did, box office or awards, had Moulin Rouge not come out before it.

So, my thoughts on why Moulin Rouge did "poorly" was because the US movie going audience simply wasn't ready for it yet. That and it was weird.

By the way, I personally loved it.
Old 06-21-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth einTier •<HR SIZE=1>I think it's because the movie is so polarizing and because it never tries to appeal to anyone. It's weird, it's very artistic, and it's a musical -- but far from a traditional one.

Many people like it for the artistic values, and I can see that, but it is not something I'd recommend or even choose to watch.
<HR SIZE=1>

I agree with this statement, with the twist that I thought it was brilliant, and it was one of my favorite films of the year, and I can watch it over and over. Still, it's a polarizing film, it requires effort to enjoy, and it's a unique approach to a genre that's not overly beloved in the first place. Also, its promotion was a bit confusing, and releasing it in the summer sure didn't help. It's the type of film that "finds" an audience over time. I guess the high production value of the DVD and good word of mouth helped it find that audience a bit more quickly.

Chicago is an established success, and is much more mainstream. Its subject matter also appeals to a wider audience. In fact, I wouldn't think it odd to state that the slow success of Moulin Rouge added to the quick success of Chicago. While it would have still been a successful film, I imagine many people who ordinarily wouldn't go see it got drawn into Moulin Rouge during its build and were more receptive to another musical. I know a few people I work with that had that exact reaction.

das
Old 06-21-03, 11:50 PM

When I took film class last year at my school, we would always sort of have a discussion on what we would watch, sometimes the class would win, most of the time the teacher would win. Several of us were adamently opposed to watching Moulin Rouge and wanted to watch something else, just about anything else. Our teacher put her foot down. I was expecting something really sappy and stupid along the lines of the lady marmalade video that I had only seen parts of. I absolutely loved the film and it was the first DVD I bought. I think it partly suffered from some bad marketing, Chicago also had the awards hype that really, really helped it(I haven't seen it yet, will be buying the DVD though).
Old 06-21-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling Chicago would not have done as well as it did, box office or awards, had Moulin Rouge not come out before it.
I respectfully disagree. Chicago opened very small and slowly expanded based upon ecstatic reviews, positive word of mouth, scalding buzz, and sellout crowds. Plus the film is based on a 30 year old Broadway property, thus having a pre-built fanbase and general recognizability. Plus it wasn't marketed at the "quick-cut fast-edit MTV audience", whose tastes are notoriously fickle.

Again, Moulin Rouge should have come out in either the early spring or late fall. It simply wasn't a summer movie. It found a bigger audience on home video/DVD. But Chicago's success was all its own.
Old 06-22-03, 12:15 AM
Banned

Moulin Rouge did badly because they didn't market it well. Granted, I thought it somewhat stunk too, but mainly nobody heard about it. I first heard of it after it was already on DVD for crying out loud. And I even saw "Clerks" in theaters, not to mention I made it a point to go to St. Louis in order to see Naqoyqatsi since it wasn't a wide release. So I hear about most oddball flicks.

Anyway, I waited for HBO, watched it, leered at Nicole Kidman, and that was pretty much it. It was just silly and weird for weird's sake. Normally I like weird flicks, but this one didn't jell with me.

It is a masterwork of cinematography though, I'll give it that. Everything about it is pretty much top notch artistically. But it didn't go anywhere, and had a non-existent storyline. So I went "ehhh" and moved on.
Old 06-22-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because it's a film about a time that isn't normally covered and easily Identified with, the outfits are strange and alien like to the viewers. It has a cult following because it is just that, a cult film. Sure Chicago was a musical but it was made for the general audiance while it still had that artsy feel to it, it was more relateable to the general public then rouge was.
Old 06-22-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's funny that Rypro started this thread as I was watching it for the first time today..

I really had no desire to see it when it was released last year, but since the 2 disc version is soon to be OOP [or already IS] I decided to pick it up at Costco two weeks ago.

I thought it was a great movie and am pretty glad I ["blind"] bought it.

As for why it flopped...

Beats me. I guess people like their films conventional.
Old 06-22-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well one could say American audiences are stupid and like total crap (Chicago) instead of something that's actually good (Moulin Rouge). But that's another topic for another time.

1) As some others said, FOX really didn't market it well. Im sure the Lady Marmalade music video turned some people away from seeing it (I know after seeing it, I really wasn't excited to see the movie). Also, the film wasn't advertised that much prior to it's release like other big budget films in 2001. I really don't recall ever seeing a theatrical trailer prior to it's release and the television spots really didn't really give out that much information on what the film was about. Some singing, some dancing, and a green fairy is all is what I got from the television spots.

2) As a few others have said, the film is "too weird" for most audiences to connect with the first time around. Most people only see a movie one time in theaters, so since they really "didn't get" it the first time, word might've spread around. You could compare it to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Not well recieved during it's initial release, but grew a following shortly thereafter. Same applies to Moulin Rouge, especially when it was released as a nice 2-disc special edition 6 months after it's theatrical release.

I didn't really think much of Moulin Rouge on my first viewing in theaters, but once it came to DVD and I bought it, it grew on me and I now consider it one of the best musicals of all time.
Old 06-22-03, 12:03 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found Moulin Rouge a lot better than Chicago. MR had a more powerful storyline and it flowed much better than Chicago, especially when they broke into song. Even though the songs in MR weren't original's, Ewen and Nicole did a great job. In fact I think MR is far superior than Chicago in all aspects. The only reason Chicago did well was probably because of the hype.
Old 06-22-03, 12:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The reason the film didn't do as well is because it was really aimed at intellectuals: people with an extensive knowledge of music, dance, art, and film. However, the vast majority of mindless masses that usually go and see movies do not fall into this category. Most intellectuals vied for the opera or ballet instead. Those that did go see the movie were unable to understand it...not their fault, not everybody is born smart or can afford a great education.
Old 06-22-03, 12:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the biggest problem with Moulin is the first twenty-some minutes until Nicole's first number. Up until then there's a pervasive cheesiness (and some would say downright awfulness) that loses a LOT of people. I can't begin to count the number of people I talked to or read on message boards that turned off the film fifteen or twenty minutes in because they thought the whole thing would be like that. And many who do stick around (or are forced to by a spouse or significant other) have already decided they're going to hate it at that point, and this movie requires an open mind for the later scenes to be effective. I love the movie, but I honestly hate that beginning too. I even jump ahead a few chapters so I don't have to sit through it.
Old 06-22-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I found Moulin Rouge a lot better than Chicago. MR had a more powerful storyline and it flowed much better than Chicago, especially when they broke into song. Even though the songs in MR weren't original's, Ewen and Nicole did a great job. In fact I think MR is far superior than Chicago in all aspects. The only reason Chicago did well was probably because of the hype.
I very much enjoy Moulin Rouge and watch it sometimes when I am in that mood. I rather enjoy the "recycled" songs. I remember the first time watching the movie and being *surprised* that hey! I know this song. The intercutting of the various songs in the opening songs at the Moulin Rouge i.e. Smells like teenspirit, cancan, lady marmalade, etc. was innovation IMO. Anyway, $60 million for an artsy/musical movie is pretty good. I tried real hard to watch Chicago and never finished it.
my 2 cents
Old 06-22-03, 01:45 PM

I think Moulin Rouge flopped mostly because of the very different style of the film, and it took me a second time to really like it. Also that it came out in the summer when it should have came out in the winter, and the bad marketing, I had no interest in the film with the whole Lady Marmalade song.

I'm glad that it was nominated for best picture, I usually like to see all the Oscar best picture nominations, because MR is now one of my favorite of the last couple of years, and nice to see have a great life on dvd, though I wish I could have seen in the theater too.
Old 06-22-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
The reason the film didn't do as well is because it was really aimed at intellectuals: people with an extensive knowledge of music, dance, art, and film. However, the vast majority of mindless masses that usually go and see movies do not fall into this category. Most intellectuals vied for the opera or ballet instead. Those that did go see the movie were unable to understand it...not their fault, not everybody is born smart or can afford a great education.
Old 06-22-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, actually, MR was supposed to be released in late 2000 (October?), but it wasn't finished in time, so it was delayed until the following summer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.