Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm addicted to Pokemon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm addicted to Pokemon!

I've recently gotten back into my GBA. I re-picked up Golden Sun (I'm in the middle of that hot desert now) and can play Klustar (Tetris variant) and Uno for hours.

I decided to pick up Pokemon Blue and Red. It all started when I was figuring out what titles to get and I looked into the whole Pokemon craze. The reviews seemed to be solidly 8's, 9's, and 10's. So I picked up Blue and Red for $10 each used at Amazon Marketplace.

I got them yesterday and started playing Red at work yesterday. For most of the shift the calls are not heavy. Since yesterday at 11pm I've put in 6 hours into. I got 7 Pokemon, 3 of then on Level 12, one on Level 11, one on Level 6, and I can't remember what level the other one is on... probably 10 or so. I almost got a Pikachu but he got away on the third shake. Right now I'm training them to take up Brock... I need some grass attacks. I got a Grass Pokemon but no grass attacks yes besides the seed one.

Golden Sun, which I've played heavily, clocks in at 23 hours and 31 minutes after a few weeks (2 weeks ago I was around 14 hours, so it's about 4.5 hours a week). Pokemon is my new favorite game though. The worst part is training those useless slugs who come with no attacks until level 15 or so and you have to split the points in the fighting and take at least one hit.

Sooo... who else is heavily into Pokemon? 25 years old here, and up to now I dismissed it as a kid's game.

It fits into my favorite genre - turn-based RPGs (which is basically what Pokemon is).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 06-21-03 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-21-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was really into Red several years ago, maybe 3 or 4 years ago I don't really remember. It was a great game, I liked battling with friends every now and then. I was never into the TV Show or the Card game though, and after Red I kinda lost interest I guess. Good memories though.
Old 06-21-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to five years ago... Do even still make pokemon games anymore.

Expect a new one out sometime soon with even more strange creatures.
Old 06-21-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I beat the Sapphire one recently and it was fun as heck to play. I can do without the cartoon or trading cards, but the GBA game is still pretty good.
Old 06-21-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Welcome to five years ago... Do even still make pokemon games anymore.

Expect a new one out sometime soon with even more strange creatures.
Well, I discovered Buffy around a year ago and saw Star Wars around 1995, so I figured why stop the trend now

I plan to get all of them as I beat each one (collect all the ones local the cartridge).
Old 06-21-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by GatorDeb
Well, I discovered Buffy around a year ago and saw Star Wars around 1995, so I figured why stop the trend now

I plan to get all of them as I beat each one (collect all the ones local the cartridge).
I'm working on beating the eighth gym on Saphirre. Here's my current team.
Pikachu - Lvl 38
Gyarados - Lvl 48
Loudred - Lvl 43
Pelipper - Lvl 29
Kyogre - Lvl 45
Old 06-21-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I'm addicted to Pokemon!

I heard there was a rehab called pokemon anonymous.
Old 06-21-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I discovered Buffy around a year ago and saw Star Wars around 1995
"Buffy" ??? And what is this "Star Wars" you speak of? Hollywood Squares with guns?
Old 06-21-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GET SNORLAX. He is my idol.
Old 06-21-03, 10:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They are surprisingly fun, although the novelty eventually ran thin for me.
Old 06-22-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't it kind of pointless to buy both Red and Blue? I played Blue and enjoyed it, but decided one of those types of games was enough for me, let alone two identical games with a handful of different creatures.
Old 06-22-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm clocking in at 13 hours after 2 days. I play it at work, I stay after my shift at work playing, I broke my rule of no Gameboy while at home (since I can play at work I like to do other stuff at home), every time I go to the bathroom, etc.

Mt. Moon was freaking awesome. I don't think I got all the trainers - hopefully I can go back. I missed the girl on the way to Cerulean... haven't found a way back to her yet. I got Helix the fossil. My current Pokemon (I've caught 10 so far) that I battle with:
  • Zoop, a level 20 Pikachu
  • Goop, a level 17 Spearow
  • Hoop, a level 12 Nidoran
  • Doop, a level 23 Ivysaur (he used to be a Bulbasaur)
  • Loop, a level 13 Pidgey
  • Moop, a level 13 Rattata

And I have the first two medals. I'm now about to fight the fourth of five trainers in Cerulean - already got done with everyone in the gym.

Freaking awesome game

Are you supposed to get all 100 Pokemon to above level 50? Yeesh. And if you do, can you import them to, let's say, Blue, Silver, Sapphire, etc?
Old 06-22-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
These games get way too much flack for being as good as they are. I've played a bit of the Gold version, and it's not a poorly made kids game at all. It just wasn't my bag so I lost interest. I did enjoy the Trading Card Game for the Gameboy for awhile and I still play Pokemon Pinball to this day.

Do not let hype keep you from good games.
Old 06-23-03, 09:19 AM

Are you supposed to get all 100 Pokemon to above level 50? Yeesh. And if you do, can you import them to, let's say, Blue, Silver, Sapphire, etc?
Just focus on a team of eight or so, and get them leveled up.

They changed the game and you cannot trade pokemon between any of the old games and the new ones (Ruby and Sapphire). You can still trade between Ruby and Sapphire.
Old 06-23-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to get a grass pokemon before Brock... just get a decent water one. Water works just as well on rock.

The later games (Silver/Gold/Krystal and Sapphire/Ruby) have items earlier on to help split the experience, so you don't have to do that stupid swap thing over and over.

I personally love the game. I feel that it's great for kids, since it's pretty simple, yet it's extremely addictive and lasts a long time (if you like that sort of game). It's repetitive, sure, but what rpg isn't? And it just appeals to the collector in me (recently I've been playing the latest Castlevania, and find myself killing enemies over and over just to collect all the abilities... game designers really have the collector mentality down)

Plus, it can be really complex. There are whole FAQs about how to raise the best pokemon, and it's not just catching one with good base stats. The kinds of pokemon you battle help to determing which attributes go up more.

Ah, and pokemon pinball... I don't think I'll ever "catch 'em all" in that game...
Old 06-23-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm stuck on that dark cave. Something tells me there's an item to light it up (uhhm Moon Stone just popped into my mind). Anyone have any good walkthrough sites? I went into the cave and won as many trainer battles as I could before my HP went down then used an escape rope - have two more of those and 30k - I can't carry any more items so I have all this money and nothing to buy.
Old 06-23-03, 01:04 PM

www.gamefaqs.com

The moonstone is for evolving. Think about teaching one of you pokemon FLASH to use a light source.
Old 06-23-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, Pokemon is awesome! I started with the silver edition after seeing my bro and his friends play the red/blue versions non stop and I have around 80 hours on it. Its a little easier to manage and order pokemon with the boxes in the newer silver/gold and ruby/sapphire versions, and you can choose to be a girl character in the ruby/sapphire versions too. I play with my sister and brother, and at least one of them has the opposite version I do so we can get some of the rare pokemon and have pokemon battles sometimes, I lose a lot though .

btw, I love the names for your Pokemon GatorDeb. Doop sounds like he (she?)'s pretty tough .
Old 06-23-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm 36 and am hooked on Yu-Gi-Oh, myself.

I may have to try this Pokemon thing! Sounds interesting.
Old 06-24-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dropping down usage. 4 days, 20 hours. I finally got flash and I'm at Rock Tunnel. I'm doing the RPG part first and then going after the Pokemon. Trainer battles

Also just bought Pokemon Silver, Gold, Yellow, and Crystal
Old 06-24-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dropping down usage. 4 days, 20 hours. I finally got flash and I'm at Rock Tunnel. I'm doing the RPG part first and then going after the Pokemon. Trainer battles

Also just bought Pokemon Silver, Gold, Yellow, and Crystal
So essentially you now have 2 games and 6 cartridges?

Red = Blue = Yellow
Silver = Gold = Crystal
Old 06-24-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by theneobez
GET SNORLAX. He is my idol.
Yes! Snorlax was my favorite Pokemon when I played. He was always in my lineup. When it was popular I was heavily into the game. Even when Silver & Gold came out i was still into it. All of them were great games. Couldn't get enough of them. I was also into the card game too, didnt play it, just collected the cards. I still have a few books of them under my bed.

Oh btw... anybody played the new games? I think it's Saphire & Ruby... something like that I cant remember. But I was thinking of getting that GBA SP. Thought i'd get those games with it.
Old 06-24-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
So essentially you now have 2 games and 6 cartridges?

Red = Blue = Yellow
Silver = Gold = Crystal
Yep

I don't think I'll be collecting all Pokemons, just enough to "beat" the game. Silver, Gold, Crystal, and Yellow were part of a bundle of 13 games. I think a visit to the trading forum is in order At least they seem to be popular so I should have no problem getting someone to exchange them.
Old 06-24-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do'h, I just realized that if you catch a Pokemon and you are already using 6, the new Pokemon goes to the computer. I thought it would run free again and escape from the Pokeball Sigh.

I'm up to $45k but I can't buy anything because my item list is full. I have three TMs that none of my six battles Pokemon can learn and this are stuck there.

I just bought the Gameshark for Pokemon Color so that I can turn off the random battles (I can beat 99% of opponents in one move, so now they're just annoying). I won't use max HP - no need what with revive, super potion, and no damage at all from most fights, but those random battles are really annoying.

I'm in the town after Lavender, the one with the big mart, at almost 22 hours. I got three Lemonades and can now go back to the thirsty guards. Now that I know I can have six Pokemon and catch more...