Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy season six- HOLY @#$T

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I watched 4 episodes in a row tonight. Only three episodes to go.

Talk about a holy **** moment!

Our jaws dropped to the floor.

Man, I though season five was dark, but, no, no way. Six is the dark season.

So much goes on. You never know what's going to happen.

Joss Whedon and crew surely know how to keep you on edge.

But, that last episode we watched. We didn't expect that. Didn't see it coming.

My wife asked me if that was the cliffhanger. I said no. There were still three episodes to go.

Damn, and we have to work this weekend!

Great show. Un****ingbelievable.

Thanks people for recommending this show.

I, and my wife, really appreciate it.

Damn, still can't get over it.

By the way, if you are wondering what I am talking about, there is a reason I tried to make it vague.

I don't want to spoil anything.

For those of you that have seen Buffy season six, I think you know what I am talking about.
Old 06-21-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the season that has the episode "Once More, With Feeling", isn't it?

This is the season where I started watching Buffy more, but I'd say the third season is one of the best overall - season six became too dark and the show never recovered from it, IMO.
Old 06-21-03, 11:02 AM

The season as a whole is maybe my least favorite (except for 1). But it has "Once More With Feeling," "Normal Again," and a pretty strong finish.
Old 06-21-03, 11:19 AM

I really enjoyed season 6 very much. Buffy's job was kind of boring but the Willow storyline more than made up for it.
Plus it has OMWF and Tabula Rasa in it as well as many other great episodes.
Old 06-21-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Which episode did you see? I think you might be overreacting a bit, but that's just me.
Old 06-21-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Season 6 is when Buffy jumped the you know what. Still, it was better than the 7th and final season. That year was an incomprehensible mess. At least Season 6 had an overall arc they were trying to do, even if 99% of the fans hated it.
Old 06-21-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Season 6 was a total mess and was the season that made me actually stop watching the show for a while. There is virtually nothing about it that was good other than Once More With Feeling... and even that has stupid crap like Spike and Buffy.
Old 06-21-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked season 6, but it did have some bad stuff in it. OMWF was cool though...thats a lot in the plus column for that season
Old 06-21-03, 08:22 PM
mwj

I don't like either season six or seven. I did at least enjoy the last four or five episodes of six which is more than I can say about seven. Since I hate musicals I thought Once More with Feeling was a snooze. If you don't like seasons six or seven will you still buy the DVDs to complete the series? I will not.

Last edited by mwj; 06-22-03 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-21-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The season opening, Once More With Feeling, the asylum episode, and the dark willow arc were the good episodes of the season, IMHO. Angel, however, had a better storyline for the season than Buffy.
Old 06-22-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The asylum episode showed how non seriously the show was thought of by the staff, they alter continuity drastically in order to have one episode.
Old 06-22-03, 02:18 PM

I loved season 6! It was dark, yes, but everything in life isn't bright and wonderful.
Even though it was darker than the other seasons, it had a great lot of comic relief (take the geeks for example) that I enjoyed. And there was two episodes that was mainly comedic; "Life Serial" and "Tabula Rasa". You know, the one with the mummy hand. And the one where they lost their memories; "Randy Giles!?! You might as well have named me Horny-desperate-for-a-shag Giles!". I laughed so hard I cried when watching them!

I loved how Buffy and Spike got together! They really should be together, there was sexual tension between those two since the second season.

I also loved "Normal Again", known here as the Asylum episode. I've never thought of Buffy as not real (I know it isn't real, but you know what I mean) before I saw that one. And that episode creeped me out and gave me goosebumps. It's fun to play with the thought about none of it being real, and Buffy just being a psycho. I liked that they made the end of the episode so that the viewers can decide for themselves what is real. I also loved the finale and cried so hard.

The only thing I didn't like about season 6 was Marti Noxon's (aka the Devil) idea about the bad boyfriend storyline. What was that all about?! She clearly doesn't understand Spike's character.

Last edited by Andie; 06-22-03 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my eyes, Season 6 is the series' best season right behind the fantastic Season 3. While some... okay a lot... of fans said it was "too dark," I had no problem with enjoyed it more than Season 2 and Season 5.

The only serious complaint I had with Season 6 was that godawful Normal Again episode. If the series would've maintained going in the "Buffy is really insane and in an asylum" direction, it would've been a major cop-out. Thankfully Diego Gutierrez never wrote an episode of Buffy ever again.

My favorite Buffy seasons go in this order:
1. Season 3
2. Season 6
3. Season 5
4. Season 2
5. Season 1
6. Season 4
7. Season 7

I rank Season 4 so low because once Riley became a major character, the show almost became unwatchable for me until Episode 11 of Season 5. Thankfully the good episodes of Season 4 and the first half of Season 5 rarely feature Riley (who would've thought?).
Old 06-22-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Season 6 was dark....any darker than season 5, I don't think. What Season 6 failed to do was balance the dark and the light like every season previous had. And it was ultimately futile darkness....they're ultimate big bad was cool, but their build up to it was cloddy and way to predictable. Look at season 5 (in retrospect) and you see the possibility, but in season six its not fluid and leaves you little time to really soak in the threat in the just four episodes (again opposed to season 5 where Glory shows up early and flexes her muscle often).

My own crazy theory is that the staff just didn't know where to go after season 5 and we had to wait for them and with them meandering through the possibilities. Don't even get me started on the nerds.
Old 06-22-03, 05:33 PM

I agree with you clemente, season 6 didn't quite succeed in balancing the light and dark like earlier seasons. Not necessarily a bad thing - if you're a fan of the dark style. I must say I kinda like it. Except for the whole AR, which was WAAAY off character (Spike).

Season 5 is my all-time favorite season, season 7 is a good runner up, and season 6 is on the third place on my list. I can't rank the rest of the seasons, since I consider them equally good.
Season 4 would have been a great season, if it weren't for The Initiative and Riley. Riley Finn was a completely uninteresting character, and Marc Blucas (who plays Riley) really lack charisma. - Oh, I just remember, the episode where Riley came back in season 6 (don't even remember the name) was the WORST episode in season 6. Whenever I rewatch season 6 I always fast forward all the Riley parts in it ( which means that the only scene I really see in it is the one with the Spuffy nookie goodness ).
Old 06-22-03, 06:07 PM

My issue with Season 6 was never the dark tone. The 5th season of Buffy was really dark and I loved it. Angel's gotten darker with each passing year and keeps getting better. It's the fact that the whole "Life is the Big Bad" arc that season made each of the characters so unlikable. The only person who didn't get on my nerves was Tara who ironically had never been a fav of mine the previous two seasons, and of course look what they had to go and do to that character.

Season 7 was even worse in that they made Buffy a complete b-tch, failed to do anything interesting with Willow(which is even more inexplicable when you see how great she was in the Angel crossover), completely ignored Xander and Dawn, wasted the return of Giles, Faith and Angel, gave way too much screentime to the Slayerettes who were all annoying as piss(except for Amanda who was actually kinda cool), and took a Big Bad arc which could've filled at most a quarter of the season and dragged it out for the entire year.

Just for the record, I rank the seasons in this order: 3, 2, 5, 1, 4, 6, 7.
Old 06-23-03, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, we just finished watching the last episode of season six.

And what a great ending to the next to last episode of season six.

My wife and I cheered.

Me? I like dark. The darker the better.

And personally I thought that the Big Bad was going to be the trio. I thought they were hilarious.

Of course, I should have figured out the Big Bad, but, I thought that it would've been cool to have them as the main villains.

'course, now we will have to wait until season seven comes out on DVD in Australia. I wonder how long that'll be?

We still have to finish season one of Angel. My wife couldn't really get into the series.

I told her that each season gets better. Am I wrong?

Season six. Definitely one of my favourite seasons. 3 and 5 coming a close second and third, respectively.

You know what, though?

I miss Drusilla. What a ****ing great character.

And, now, the end is near...,

Can't wait to watch the final season.
Old 06-23-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Season 6 and 7 were my least favorites, simply because of Spike and Buffy. Why they seemed to think that Buffy HAD to have a boyfriend is beyond me. And oh yeah, let's make it a vampire AGAIN.

Bah.

If Spike had died at the end of Season 5, I would have enjoyed the show a lot more.
Old 06-23-03, 09:32 AM

Re: Buffy season six- HOLY @#$T

Originally posted by smokedragon
An emphasis on @#$T.
Old 06-23-03, 10:17 AM

I enjoyed and watched all the seasons of Buffy. I see that even the complainers watched the last two seasons (although I have to wonder why if they hated them so much) so that to me says something in itself.
The sixth season didn't seem "dark" to me at all. Seemed just like the natural progression of their lives based on stuff that happened previously. I believe its called character continuity.
The seventh season was jerked around too much by the network and I think will be better on DVD when there isn't a month wait between every other episode. I've watched most of it again on tape since and it actually is a pretty cohesive season.
All in all I think the series has depth and layers to it that will make its entire run appreciated more as time goes by.
Old 06-23-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
Season 6 and 7 were my least favorites, simply because of Spike and Buffy. Why they seemed to think that Buffy HAD to have a boyfriend is beyond me. And oh yeah, let's make it a vampire AGAIN.
But when she hooks up with normal guys, she ends with things like Riley.
Old 06-23-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Exactly

By the way that's a great sig.
Old 06-23-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Oh don't I know it. But maybe she could have been single for the last two years. No reason she HAD to be with someone.
Old 06-23-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with you clemente, season 6 didn't quite succeed in balancing the light and dark like earlier seasons. Not necessarily a bad thing - if you're a fan of the dark style.
Big fan of dark style. Not a big fan of crap.

I must say I kinda like it. Except for the whole AR, which was WAAAY off character (Spike).
Yeah, because he's only a souless monster who is incapable of remorse. A monster who has murdered hundreds, including Buffy's classmates, and people close to her. Someone who kidnapped Willow and Xander and tortured them. Oh yes, totally off character!
Old 06-23-03, 07:23 PM

Yeah, because he's only a souless monster who is incapable of remorse. A monster who has murdered hundreds, including Buffy's classmates, and people close to her. Someone who kidnapped Willow and Xander and tortured them. Oh yes, totally off character!
You have never heard of such thing as character development, have you?

Spike was never really evil evil, that's what seperates him from Angel, who was a completely different person without a soul; Angelus. Angelus was a vicious creature, while Spike was pretty much the same as with (note that I said "pretty much", not "the same"!).
Almost every evil act he ever committed was because of Drusilla, because he loved her and wanted to be somebody that she'd be proud of. Spike said it himself, he is love's bitch. And he doesn't want the world to end, he likes it.
Through the seasons Spike's character developed alot, he found out that he loved Buffy - and he wanted to become a better man. Even when soulless; which Angelus never would have wanted, not even for Buffy! Spike sincerely loved Buffy and the love was pure, even when he thought she'd be gone for ever he still kept his promise to look after and protect Dawn.
The AR scene would maybe have made sense in early Season 2, but after all the things that have happened to him from Season 2 to Season 6, it doesn't makes sense at all. That is just really bad continuity and a desperate attempt to make us (the audience) think less of the character we've grown to love, and believe that he is the bad boyfriend and Angel is the good one.

Last edited by Andie; 06-23-03 at 07:31 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.