Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What film must have been a fluke after seeing the director's other work?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the flip side, what film ended up as a classic, but after seeing the director's other work had to be a accident?

My Choices:

The Deer Hunter-The equivalent of Michael Cimino winning the lottery, at best his other work is medocre, at worst he directed Heaven's Gate.

Dances with Wolves-Costner followed his directorial Oscor effort by directing Waterworld and The Postman.
Old 06-21-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Walter Hill, after the Warriors and 48 Hr's what did he do again???
Old 06-21-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I beg to differ on Walter Hill -- he's also made the terrific "The Long Riders", "Streets of Fire" and "Southern Comfort".
Old 06-21-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robert Clouse, director of Enter the Dragon. Suffice to say another one of his martial arts (and I use that term loosely) films was Gymkata.
Old 06-21-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
I beg to differ on Walter Hill -- he's also made the terrific "The Long Riders", "Streets of Fire" and "Southern Comfort".
I agree with you. And I'd add Johnny Handsome to your list. And Undisputed, although far from great, was quite entertaining. And I'm probably one of the few but I always find Brewster's Millions funny and entertaining.
Old 06-21-03, 08:30 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Richard Rush - It took him 14 years to make another movie after
The Stunt Man and that was the God awful Color of Night. I seem to remember that movie cleaning up at the razzie awards that year. Freebie and the Bean was his claim to fame prior to The Stunt Man.
Old 06-21-03, 09:22 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Clerks, after seeing everything else from Kevin Smith. (Even though I like the other movies okay, too).
Old 06-21-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Clerks, after seeing everything else from Kevin Smith. (Even though I like the other movies okay, too).
Yeah, but he himself says he is a terrible director. He is the writer behind the camera.

What about Mel Gibson? Man Without a Face was decent, then he blew everyone away with Braveheart but that was almost 10 years ago already. Helllllooooo?
Old 06-21-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Wachowski's - The Matrix
Looking at Bound, you'd never think these two could have pulled off the Matrix. Not that Bound was a bad movie, just that you couldn't see anything on the scale of the Matrix come out of that movie. They overdo and rehash everything in Matrix Reloaded.

George Lucas - Star Wars
Episode 1 & 2, Lucas seemed more interested in his playing with his toy [ILM]. Howard the Duck was terribly awful tho in a fun sort of way. And American Graffitti shows what good actors can do with a bad director, but I thought that film was a mess and shot poorly, too.

I agree with:
Costner fires Kevin Reynolds and pretty much directs the rest of Waterworld. Then redos Waterworld and names it The Postman. We'll see how Open Range fares.

I disagree with:
Cimino as I really liked Year of the Dragon.
Old 06-21-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
However none of them were big hits...

Don't get me wrong I like Walter Hill but it just seems he never got another really big hit after 48 Hours except maybe the sequal Another 48 Hours....

BTW I own almost all of his movies including the above mentioned.

I guess I was kind of hoping he would pull a Ridely Scott and make some big hits again...

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-21-03 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-21-03, 10:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Tobe Hooper Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old 06-21-03, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulp Fiction.
Old 06-21-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another fluke...

....I would think would be Antoine Fuqua. He directed Training Day which I thought was quite good (and certainly a huge leap fm Replacement Killers) then showed how bad of a filmmaker he is when he did Tears of the Sun.
Old 06-21-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brian Depalma

after Scarface and The Untouchables in the 80's it's been pretty much downhill ever since..
Old 06-21-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Another fluke...

Originally posted by Cardiac161
....I would think would be Antoine Fuqua. He directed Training Day which I thought was quite good (and certainly a huge leap fm Replacement Killers) then showed how bad of a filmmaker he is when he did Tears of the Sun.
Your dead on!..TOTS was wayyyy out of his league!..He should stick to urban/city flicks and stay out of the f****n jungle
Old 06-21-03, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by shanester
Brian Depalma

after Scarface and The Untouchables in the 80's it's been pretty much downhill ever since..
I think DePalma would be example of someone who for some reason just lost their touch. I think he has enough truly unique and intersting films in his body of work to justify true talent.

Phantom of the Paradise(I know some really hate this film though)
Carrie
The Fury
Dressed to Kill
Blow Out
Scarface
Body Double
The Untouchables
Casualties of War
I can't disagree since Casualties of War it has been a true downhill slide.
Old 06-21-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put me in the Walter Hill fanclub, he's one of the few white directors who seems to have a clue in properly handling minority characters, and he makes fun films in my book.

But in response to the thread, I"m forced to think of Irwin Kershner, director of The Empire Strikes Back. For me, so clearly the most epic, sweeping and beautiful Star Wars film, I couldn't believe he didn't see a more precipitous career gain. His biggest moments post Empire were Never Say Never Again and Robocop 2, and there was less to write home about prior to Empire. While I"m sure there was an unreal support staff going into the making of this film, and Lucas was probably a constant influence, the director will always inhereit credit for the work of the actors, and the emotions are strongest Empire.
Old 06-21-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Bob Clark and A Christmas Story. Nothing he has done before or since has been half as good.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Clark,%20Bob%20(III)
Old 06-21-03, 01:13 PM

Jan De Bont did an outstanding job with his directorial debut, Speed. He followed that up with Twister, Speed 2, and The Haunting. And this summer he's got the Tomb Raider sequel coming out. R.I.P. Jan.
Old 06-21-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Jan De Bont is directing Tomb Raider 2?

"In this film, I thought of the Tomb as a character...."
Old 06-21-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this about box office or quality of film? Walter Hill hasn't had that many box office hits, but he can be counted on to put out a decent macho flick. And he's made a ton of them (honestly, i'm not sure how keeps working when his film continuously bomb). Extreme Prejudice is another good one that I'm sure 90% of the guys on this board would like if they were to watch it.
Old 06-21-03, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by devilshalo
George Lucas - Star Wars
Episode 1 & 2, Lucas seemed more interested in his playing with his toy [ILM]. Howard the Duck was terribly awful tho in a fun sort of way. And American Graffitti shows what good actors can do with a bad director, but I thought that film was a mess and shot poorly, too.
George Lucas didn't direct Howard the Duck.
Old 06-21-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucas did NOT direct Howard The Duck.
Old 06-21-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha! I get to be the first person to pick Brett Ratner.

What the hell happened? How could a guy suddenly pull it all together for one good film (1998's Rush Hour) The sequel was dismal. Red Dragon and The Family Guy were clunkers, and I thought Money Talks was obnoxious. Meanwhile, Rush Hour holds up as a good, fun buddy picture every time I have seen it.
Old 06-21-03, 03:14 PM

Ummmm, sorry but.... George Lucas (please prove me wrong with episode 3)

Tarantino - PF was great, but I gotta say most everything else sucked. He has way too much of an ego for someone who makes such crap. And yes, I only thought Reservoir Dogs was okay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.