Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tell me why I should like Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just watched the flick but I was having a hard time staying awake. I loved the black and white photography but the soundtrack/dialogue/mood of the flick wasn't doing it for me.

Someone I know recently said it was their all-time favorite film so I decided to rent it. Plus I like other Jarmusch flicks.

The guy's favorite flick for twenty years before this was "Apocalypse Now" so I was expecting more from the film that earned the position of number 1 fave.

Will it get better with a second viewing?
Old 06-21-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't give you any reason at all. I hated it. But from all the praise I always hear from others, we seem to be in the minority.
Old 06-21-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can say is this: This movie rocks cuz of that fat Native American! He's a riot!
Old 06-21-03, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know why people get so worked up when they don't like critically acclaimed films. You don't need an explanation. You don't need to like it. Your opinion is as valid as anybody else's. Move on to the next film.
Old 06-21-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I don't know why people get so worked up when they don't like critically acclaimed films. You don't need an explanation. You don't need to like it. Your opinion is as valid as anybody else's. Move on to the next film.

Not liking something that is popular and/or critically praised has never made me feel inadequate.
Old 06-21-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
I thought it was terrible, but I grew up watching real westerns with my dad, so it's unlikely I would like something like this.

I can see it appealing to a certain crowd, and some of the cinematography was interesting, but there was too little of interest and way too much that turned me off completely.
Old 06-21-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...I love this film...one of my favorites...this is not at all an accesible film; doesn't mean you have to like.
Old 06-21-03, 11:27 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Jarmusch's experimental style but most of his films don't do much for me. Dead Man is one of his more interesting ones in that it seems more plotted.
Old 06-21-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the movie probably for the reasons some people seem to dislike it.

I love the imagery and the music, I like the charachters and how well the are acted,. Jim Jarmusch to me, seems to to tell two stories one with the camera and the other with his actors. I do think that fondness for the movie grows with each veiwing because there is much to take in that may be overlooked.

One of my favorite lines:

By God, I'm hit. Lord have mercy. Burns like hellfire. You son of a bitch. I'm gonna have to kill somebody now.
Old 06-21-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My pet peeve is when people say "Tell me why I should like _____". Really, this is a film. Not everyone will like every film and it's really subjective to enjoy something on different levels. Give it a try and if it's not your cup of tea fine. atleast you opened yourself up to something new. Maybe you might see elements of what you did like worked into other films, but atleast you will get the reference or the context of said material.
Old 06-21-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
My pet peeve is when people say "Tell me why I should like _____". Really, this is a film. Not everyone will like every film and it's really subjective to enjoy something on different levels. Give it a try and if it's not your cup of tea fine. atleast you opened yourself up to something new. Maybe you might see elements of what you did like worked into other films, but atleast you will get the reference or the context of said material.
I thought your pet peeve was when you're reading a woman's t-shirt and she thinks you're staring at her breasts. you must have multiple pet peeves.

I understand that everyone feels differently about films, but I was just hoping I would see some posts about what people think makes this film is a winner.

I usually don't waste a second trying to get a film I didn't care for, but the guy loves the thing so much I wanted to get some other opinions in case I run into him any time soon.
Old 06-21-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is definetly the cinematography by Robbie Muller, Young's discordant sound track, its strange, eerie silences and its sense of humor that moves from quirky to dark that for me has lingered in my mind for years after first seeing it.
Old 06-21-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie got a lot of negative reviews, so I wouldn't feel too bad about not loving it.