Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Juniors

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Juniors

Is anyone watching it? I just tuned in really quick and really didn't enjoy.

Debbie Gibson sure is way hot now though
Old 06-20-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Juniors.. the answer to all those who have seen From Justin to kelly and are suffering from withdraws.
Old 06-21-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is now officially the favorite show for pedophiles everywhere!

Honk!
Old 06-21-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Where are all those Hilary Duff fans? shouldn't they be watching this as well?
Old 06-21-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I gave it an honest shot and did not enjoy the show at all....
Old 06-25-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tori has probably got the total package (this stage of the game) w/r/t voice/dance/stage presence. Her sister Taylor isn't as gifted in any of those 3 areas.

I had the same reaction to Lucy that Nick Carter did, Lucy can "sang".

Chantel is a little one note-ish, but she's plenty strong in that area.

I wasn't crazy about the Jordan pick, nor the Taylor pick.

But the bottom 5 weren't that great either.

Quinton needs to sing at a higher key (that's where he really excelled in last night's song, as he sounded like he was getting out of breath on the sustained lower notes).

So we have 3 boys, and 7 girls. I'll go with only 2 of the boys making it (but it might be only 1, that being either A.J. or Morgan). The 3-4 girls will most likely be Tori, Lucy, Katelyn, Chantel (but I would not be surprised if Taylor got the sympathy vote, and Danielle would need to really prove herself to take a spot from one of the top 4 girls, and Jordan is a mystery to me in terms of how people feel about her over the other contestants).
Old 06-26-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I want to know is, when did Debbie Gibson acquire that lisp?

I was sad that Leif Garret aka Canyon Grove did not make it through. He was cute.

In fact, I was also surprised that the kid last week that did the Police song also did not make it. Although he was not the greatest singer, he had oodles of personality and I would think he would be very popular with young girls.

The fact that it has been mostly been girls who have been voted through makes me wonder who exactly is watching this show and voting? Since it's not teeny-boppers, maybe it is horny older guys.

It seems like the more "mature" looking girls are getting through. That Lucy chick looks almost exactly like a younger Katie Holmes.

I'm not sure I will continue watching. The show is only barely watchable and the kids getting voted through I don't think will make a very well-rounded singing group. As it stands now, the singing group is going to consist of mainly girl diva-types, with maybe a token boy who can dance thrown in.

I think people must be voting based on American Idol style solo appeal and not really on how these kids will fit into a group together. I think the resulting group is going to just be a mis-matched hodpodge of hammy kids fighting for the center stage.

They would be better off to have America decide the semi-finalists first and then have the judges assemble the group from the chosen finalists.
Old 06-26-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else notice that this kids are lip synching to their own vocals? Last night they showed the kids singing in a recording studio which I figured was for the show. What really tips it off is when the kids concentrate on dancing more than singing, not unlike Janet Jackson and Britney Spears, and they hold the mike far away from their mouths when they sing.
Old 06-26-03, 07:54 AM
CMc
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Jadzia
What I want to know is, when did Debbie Gibson acquire that lisp?
LOL!! I noticed that, but I think it's actually the audio equipment that's responsible--Those cheesy headsets they're wearing.
Old 06-26-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Canyon couldn't really sing long notes, and his eyes were sort of too far apart.

I'm digging on Deborah as well, strange as that seems.
Old 06-26-03, 04:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally saw this on Tuesday... WTF kind of name is Canyon Grove? Sounds like a housing development!

Out of all those auditions (I'm assuming there were a lot) there are two girls in the top ten who are actually related.... huh. A few of the girls were okay, but nothing special. The boys were pretty bad, IMO. The Stevie Wonder one could dance, but his singing was sad. The That Thing You Do kid was just all around bad. Oh well, they're all toast once their voices crack anyway. Where's Hanson nowadays?
Old 07-03-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the first tyke has made the group. That would by Taylor Thompson, the older of the 2 Thompson sisters. Chantel and Tori were the other top 3 vote getters for the week.

While Taylor has decent performance skills, her voice isn't all that great. Even her sister Tori has shown that her voice isn't that strong (considering the competition) with her performance on Tuesday night. It's cute, and has plenty of energy, but vocally, not so talented.

I'll be bummed if Lucy, Chantel and Danielle don't make the group. If America puts Tori in the group just because of the cute "sisterhood" angle, that would not be a good thing.

I don't get all the love for Morgan, I thought he didn't sound all that good on Tuesday either. I think AJ is the only sure bet for the boys.
Old 07-03-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chantal is the one that was on the commercial, wasnt she? On that commercial, she seemed to be to be a dead ringer for the actress that played Kate's daughter on Kate & Allie (Ari Meyers who played Emma McArdle)...
Old 07-03-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chantel is the one whose dad's eyes water up each time she sings a song onstage.
Old 07-03-03, 11:38 AM

She's the only one who I instantly recognized, because she was pretty much the American Juniors poster kid before the show aired--"'Cause I'm your Laaaaaaadyyyyyyy"-ing every commercial break on FOX.

I think she's pretty close to a lock for getting into the group (the only person I'm more sure of getting in is Tori), but I'll be irritated when she does, because she's pretty much the only contestant whose voice adds variety to the performances. Otherwise, it's a big long string of peppy not-yet-mature singing voices to me.
Old 07-04-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chantel's dad looks like that actor David Keith.

Every time I hear Debbie Gibson speak, I think of those South Park characters that had an ass for a face. Her lisp is so annoying!

That older Thompson girl sure turned on the ham factor this week. It seems like she decided she didn't want her sister to steal all the attention and she turned it up quite a notch which worked.

I still don't know if I'm going to continue watching this show. Once Big Brother starts I think that is going to meet my cheesy summer reality show needs.
Old 07-06-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I record each show to DVD so my daughter can watch it later.

Some of the kids are pretty good.

I think some of the comments by Ryan are a little weird sometimes and I am not sure how this going to help these kids growing up.
Old 07-23-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this show is running out of steam.

I didn't enjoy Chauncey or Morgan's performances, though they were both lauded by the judges. I knew immediately that Chauncey had a cold by the way he started his song.

I think I'd take Lucy over Chantel (who can't sing a melody to save her life).

A.J. is just there, I'm ambivalent.

Danielle was a disappointment in song choice.

Jordan is cute, but doesn't have the chops.

Katelyn is average in singing, but has the looks.
Old 07-23-03, 09:47 AM

Why can't the kids sing modern songs? They are sticking in the 50s and 60s. I guess those types of songs are easier for the kids to learn/sing, but face it.. the kids won't be singing in that style as a group right? It seems like the songs are picked for them.
Old 08-13-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I guess "America" isn't tone deaf as Danielle gets the most votes and moves on to being in the group.

While I'm glad Danielle made the group, I don't know if she really meshes well with the rest of the group.

The more I looked at the rest of group, I think Chauncey was the fluke, and will need to grew in stature, else he looks like a flyweight in a group with 4 girls. And he doesn't do well in the dance department either.

I think A.J. probably had the best stage presence of the remaining contestants, and looked the best with the 4 in the group already.
Old 08-18-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still catching up on watching these episodes on my Tivo.

I was kind if hoping that they would have stopped the group at 3-- then they could have called the group: "Two Sisters and a Brother."

Old 08-19-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Make that "2 Sistahs and a Bro".
Old 08-21-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I watched the finale from Tuesday night, and I think it's going to be an uphill battle for the group. But I think Lucy is going to be the one that gets the most notice in the long run.
Old 08-21-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the Chantal chick didn't make it? I thought that she was the best singer overall from the shows that I saw..
Old 08-21-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, Chantel has no appreciable lower registers to her voice, which made her sound bad on some of the songs she sang. After Lucy made it, they didn't really need a "Chantel" in the group.

Poor Chauncey, I think he might have issues (and need therapy in his adult life) if this group sticks around for more than 2-3 years.

I still don't think either one of the Thompson sisters sound all that great, they got in on their looks and personality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.