Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Street Fighter (94): How does this movie suck?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-20-03, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean seriously, why did this movie get bashed so badly? This and Mario Brothers are always used as examples of VG movies gone wrong.

I found SF to be one of the funniest action movies I've ever seen. I got to see some of my favorite characters run around and kick the crap out of each other for 90 minutes. Let's not forget Raul Julia as Bison. He friggin rocked!

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday. "
All of that with a straight face!

I don't get why people come into these movies thinking they're gonna watch the sequel to Casablanca or the Godfather. It's based on a friggin Videogame for Christ's sake.

On a similar note, look at Mortal Kombat. It's considered the best VG movie ever made. Is it fun to watch again today? Not for me. It took itself way too seriously. Good for the fans but hell, how many people still play Mortal Kombat today?

Let's not even touch Resident Evil. I was bewildered for actually sleeping through that and most of the Final Fantasy Movie.

But then again, I liked Tomb Raider...and I don't even like the games anymore. Quite the opposite for Resident Evil.

Well I think think I've covered most of them (minus DoubleDragon, but I'll probably like that one too). My point though still remains, Street Fighter was a good movie killed by critics. It wasn't perfect but it definitely didn't deserve to be classified as one of the worst movies of all time.

And for the record, here's my list of things I didn't like about the movie:

-Dhalsim. He seemed so throwaway but I guess he served well as a fake Ghandi.

-Blanka. The whole movie tries to center around him but he hardly does squat at the end. To top it off, his life is spared yet he still gets killed(or does he?)

-T. Hawk. There like one scene of importance with him and it's just some baloney about his head band.

-Balrog being a good guy and Dee Jay being a bad guy. Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

-Sagat was waaay too short.

-And of course, Guile. A french guy playing an American with accent intact. Pfft.

Still pretty admirable for a film that balances like 16 characters at once.
Old 06-20-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
A few things that bothered me... #1 is Van Damme playing Guile. Just too much of a stretch for me. Next, they threw in too many characters. Concentrate on the big ones, Ken, Ryu, Chun Li, etc... Another one is that they really didn't have real powers. Ken and Ryu without the most well known fighting game move, the fireball?

All in all though, i didn't think the movie was THAT bad. It just could have been so much better, especially seeing how cool the animated movies are. Oh, and Ming Na was hot as Chun Li
Old 06-20-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blanka is Charlie.. Guile is Van Damme and bad at it.

It's not that we were expecting the second coming, but when you enjoyed the game and the game had stories for the characters. We expected those stories to work like they did in the game. they trashed them and pretty much made a bad movie.

I thought the movie was Crap crap crap. that is all. Compare the live action to the animated movie..

hell, compare Mortal combat the game and video. it made a better transition compared to street fighter game and film.
Old 06-20-03, 12:47 PM
Banned

Oh god, I forgot about the fireball. You actually see Ryu do the motion for it and see a flash of light. I think that pathetic display was supposed to be the fireball. Maybe Ken wasn't up to his level yet

Animation obviously is capable of much more when it comes to storytelling. I don't know why the Mario movie wasn't made that way instead.

As for Ming Na, I have only one thing to say:

That's actually Balrog's ending in the videogame.
Old 06-20-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, Cammy was played by Kylie Minogue...

And Chun Li was played by Ming Na...

...but that's about it. The rest of the movie was... eh... Van Damme.

Last edited by DGibFen; 06-20-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 03:48 PM
Banned

Rumor has it Van Damme is teaming up with Dolph Lundgren and Holly Valance (who would be replacing Kylie Minogue) to make Street Fighter II.
Old 06-20-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Face/Off
Rumor has it Van Damme is teaming up with Dolph Lundgren and Holly Valance (who would be replacing Kylie Minogue) to make Street Fighter II.
Best news I've heard since Stallone started writing Rocky 6!
Old 06-20-03, 08:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Street Fighter (94): How does this movie suck?

Originally posted by Revoltor
...Mortal Kombat. It's considered the best VG movie ever made. Is it fun to watch again today? Not for me.

...Resident Evil. I was bewildered for actually sleeping through that and most of the Final Fantasy Movie.

But then again, I liked Tomb Raider...

Street Fighter was a good movie...
Remind me to listen to any of your future recommendations and/or warnings of movies to avoid... and do the polar opposite.

Really though, just because a movie is based on a videogame doesn't mean they can't make it watchable. Street Fighter was never going to be the Godfather, but it had the potential to be entertaining on it's own merits. As it stands, it's entertaining only because it's unintentionally funny. They added so much goofy crap like the 'military' nonsense... when all the target audience wanted was some decent fight scenes and a few fireballs! The fight scenes weren't even good by Van Damme standards.
Old 06-21-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mortal Kombat gave the fans fights and thats what you wanted to see....thats part of the reason why it worked. Also i think the stuff going on in MK was believeable because the movie had mysticism and magic going on.

Obviouisly i wont find it hard to believe a guy's chucking fireballs when gods are walking on earth and the dude you are fighting is some old ass asian sorcerer with a 4 armed henchman.

But for the greatest SF scenes to grace live action film...look no further than Jackie Chans immortal "City Hunter".

Gary Daniels as Ken was 10,000 times more believable than Van Damn.

Watch out for Chun Li though
Old 06-22-03, 04:55 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Street Fighter (94): How does this movie suck?

Originally posted by DRG
As it stands, it's entertaining only because it's unintentionally funny. They added so much goofy crap like the 'military' nonsense... when all the target audience wanted was some decent fight scenes and a few fireballs! The fight scenes weren't even good by Van Damme standards.
Well according to the commentary, it was intended to be funny and tongue in cheek. De Souza, the director was also a big fan of the game too.

Comparing the anime to the movie is a silly thing anyway considering the movie consisted of 20 minutes of Ryu charging up a fireball while psycho Ken pranced around. Yeah, that would've been great....

And anyhow, there is no Streetfighter canon. We can pretend there is one but we'd have to ignore a lot things like Zangief's ending in Alpha3 (he grabs E Honda and piledrives him through Bison's Psycho machine thing). Let's not even mention Dan's origin. The only story we get is through their endings and what we perceive of them.

I think it's easy to dismiss a movie like this when the popular consensus is that it sucked. Hell, people don't even have to watch it and still get away with saying it sucked.

For an American rendition of the SF mythos I think it did a great job. Too bad soo many went into hoping to see more mindless droll. (see: Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil)
Old 06-22-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Street Fighter was dumb... I'm a fan of campy movies, van damme movies, video game movies, and crappy movies - but this one just didn't do it for me. I never liked the game either. A couple movies out of HK were based on or featured scenes involving characters from Street Fighter and they were better than the Van Damme one.
Old 06-22-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor
Comparing the anime to the movie is a silly thing anyway considering the movie consisted of 20 minutes of Ryu charging up a fireball while psycho Ken pranced around. Yeah, that would've been great....
At least that would have been closer to what the target audience was expecting.

And anyhow, there is no Streetfighter canon. We can pretend there is one but we'd have to ignore a lot things like Zangief's ending in Alpha3 (he grabs E Honda and piledrives him through Bison's Psycho machine thing). Let's not even mention Dan's origin. The only story we get is through their endings and what we perceive of them.
You cant use the endings from that game or any of the other 75,000 Street Fighter games that came out after this movie appeared. The most that could have been used for this movie was Street Fighter 2 (and its turbo variations) and Super Street Fighter 2.

For an American rendition of the SF mythos I think it did a great job. Too bad soo many went into hoping to see more mindless droll. (see: Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil)
I believe thats exactly what many got, mindless droll. De Souza admitted that the studio wanted EVERY character represented in the movie and he admitted that the movie suffered because of that.

You may like the movie, and you can enjoy it till the end of time...but i still weep that this stinker was Raul Julia's final movie.
Old 06-22-03, 05:34 PM
Banned

Oh god. Street Fighter The Movie is one of the greatest accidental comedies of all time. I love this movie. I crack up every single time I watch it. I would go on and on about it, but this brilliant Whatever Dude article has summed up everything great about the movie.

Street Fighter The Movie deserves two thumbs up.

EDIT: I seriously can't wait for Street Fighter 2. Dolph and Van Damme and Street Fighter? That movie has got to be golden.

Last edited by secretzman; 06-22-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-22-03, 06:02 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Picked this up last weekend for $5.88 at Wal-Mart... this'll replace my $10 bootleg-VHS I got in downtown Philly about ten years ago.

Rual Julia (RIP) was the best thing about this film...
Old 06-22-03, 11:12 PM
Banned

I saw it again the other day an to my surprise actually spotted Ken's half assed Dragon punch and Ryu's hurricane kick. For some reason the moves didn't click with me too well upon my first viewing.

In one of the deleted scenes you see Cammy and Chun-Li go at it. Let's just say that scene deserved to be deleted. I think we do manage to see what just might be a Spinning bird kick.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure Raul Julia had a lot of fun doing this movie.
Old 06-23-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The SF movie looked like it was produced by Chuck-Norris-era Cannon Films (ie, managing to look both tacky AND cheap) and directed with about as much aplomb. But I could've tolerated all of that if the fights had been good. Why take a game called STREET FIGHTER and turn it into a really bad military flick? WTF?! And why hire bad actors who can't fight either?! They could've made a really tongue-in-cheek film and still had some decent battles. The Jackie Chan homage mentioned earlier is an example of that.
Old 06-23-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best part was when Bison pulled out the arcade joystick to attack the boat Guile was in.

Seriously though, this movie sucks hard compared to the first Mortal Kombat film.
Old 06-23-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the movie. That's all I have to say on that.
Old 06-23-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh god where do I begin?????

Ive been a long time SF fan and was really looking forward to the movie when it was first announced in a GamePro issue when the director said "don't expect any fireballs or dragon punches...this is gonig to be an action movie with lots of fighting.." or something like that. But then to say "fans will be suprised when Sagat takes off his shirt." The movie is wrong on ALL LEVELS.

Ryu and Ken- Two rival martial artists who are now portrayed as street husslers? Give me an F'n break!!! They could have easily set the story around how Ryu beat Sagat in the first SF tournament. No fireballs? In one scene "Ryu" throws up his hands to hit "Vega" in the chest and the screen flashes for an instant...umm hello?? Then Ken makes a retarded looking face punching Sagat in the face spinning around....WTF!?!?

Guile- Jean Claude? Flash kick? Riiiiiiiiiight moving on.

Sagat- A former thai boxer who is a kingpin? geez someone loses a fight and gets his chest scared by Ryu so he takes up gambling??

E.Honda and Balrog- Ok E. Honda is the tech and Balrog is the camera man!?!?!?!? Dont bother explaining how Balrog got kicked out of pro boxing, or that E. Honda is a sumo wrestler??? No you just throw him into a meaningless fight with Zangief where his clothes get ripped off and blood is all over his face so it looks like sumo-make up. Oh no special moves? He repeatedly hits Zangief in the face...100 hand slap anyone? UUUGGHH!!

D-Jay, Zangief- All I can say about Zangief is that they got his look accurate but good god that was just....retarded. D-Jay...why did they even bother??? He's a damn martial artist, and musician yet he works for Shadowloo?? So in the end of the movie he THEN decides to go back to Jamaca????

Captain Sawada- WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?!?

Carlos Blanka- Ok this is sooooooo not how it happened..nuff said

Dhalsim- uhhh when did this guy decide become a scientist?? In order to make him resemble his video game self you put him in a fire so his clothes get burned and he loses all his hair!?!?!?

Chun Li- Wow you got the back story correct, but shes not a TV reporter.

Cammy- huh?? why the hell does she scream "THRUST KICK??" No special moves?!?!!?

T.Hawk - What?!?!

Vega- about the only character that was semi-accurate. HE HAD NO LINES!!!!

M.Bison - Ok Raul Julia was a great actor and while I can see why they chose him, the way they explain his "psycho power" was just...sad. It would have been better if they had just left his powers unexplained..I mean hell its worked for how long in the games?

I know some people like it, and thats cool just dont expect me to have the same enthusiam for a half a$$ed attempt at a video game movie.
Old 06-23-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No sir, Don't like it at all.
Old 06-23-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by secretzman
Oh god. Street Fighter The Movie is one of the greatest accidental comedies of all time. I love this movie. I crack up every single time I watch it. I would go on and on about it, but this brilliant Whatever Dude article has summed up everything great about the movie.
This article reminds me alot of StompTokyo except i read some and then scrolled down and saw this:

This brings up a very important question: What movie is this from?

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No sir, Don't like it at all.
Yes indeed Mr. Horse.

Last edited by UAIOE; 06-23-03 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-23-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I doubt it was from any movie at all. I seem to recall that as just a magazine photo from who knows which magazine on the rack.
Old 06-23-03, 02:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by zero
Oh god where do I begin?????

Ive been a long time SF fan and was really looking forward to the movie when it was first announced in a GamePro issue when the director said "don't expect any fireballs or dragon punches...this is gonig to be an action movie with lots of fighting.." or something like that. But then to say "fans will be suprised when Sagat takes off his shirt." The movie is wrong on ALL LEVELS.

Ryu and Ken- Two rival martial artists who are now portrayed as street husslers? Give me an F'n break!!! They could have easily set the story around how Ryu beat Sagat in the first SF tournament. No fireballs? In one scene "Ryu" throws up his hands to hit "Vega" in the chest and the screen flashes for an instant...umm hello?? Then Ken makes a retarded looking face punching Sagat in the face spinning around....WTF!?!?

<snip>
This is one of the scariest posts I've ever read here.
Old 06-23-03, 03:39 AM
Banned

Yes, that was a scary post.

Captain Sawada- WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?!?
WHO CARES? How can you not crack up at such lines like, (Looking pained) "Cull-nall...a (pause) single boat againt (pause) evor thing he got? (pause) The pilot (pause) would have to be (pause) ow (pause) o his mind!"
Old 06-23-03, 04:58 AM
Banned

I could've sworn Sawada's voice was dubbed over like a bad kung-fu flick on purpose.

Of course Guile's follow up to Sawada:

"Well lucky for you, Bison has driven me crazy!"

Or something to that effect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.