Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Which version should I buy?
Original Release
26.67%
Superbit
73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Which Das Boot to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Das Boot to buy?

Sorry if this has been posted before (we've heard that before, haven't we?) but search didn't seem to pull what I wanted.

I've decided to buy Das Boot as a blind buy based on a friend's recommendations, and I don't know which one to pick up...the regular release or Superbit. Is the Superbit really an improvement on picture quality? The review I read said there wasn't too much difference. I have an HDTV so improved picture quality is good. I'd also like a copy that's not dubbed to English and has English subtitles.

Also, with the non-Superbit version, is it a flipper? Does it offer more as far as deleted scenes? How are the extras? Are they worth the purchase instead of the Superbit? I don't normally care for extras, like commentary and behind-the-scenes stuff, but if there's more in the original as far as deleted scenes go, I'd buy it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superbit all the way. Better PQ + the stunning DTS track. Extras schmextras.

> "The review I read said there wasn't too much difference."

Out of curiosity, was it the review here on DVDTalk?

> "Also, with the non-Superbit version, is it a flipper?"

Yes, it is... The Superbit is spread across two discs. Either way, unless you have a changer, you're going to have to get up.

I didn't really pay attention to the extras on the old flipper so I can't help you there...
Old 06-20-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did read the reviews for both discs here. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it seemed to imply that there wasn't much difference in PQ, with maybe a slight edge to the Superbit.

I do have a 7-disc changer, so going with the Superbit might be a better option.

Anyone who can enlighten me on the extras though, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-20-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still waiting for Das Boot edition for this movie.
Old 06-20-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by steelcurtain
I did read the reviews for both discs here. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it seemed to imply that there wasn't much difference in PQ, with maybe a slight edge to the Superbit.
That's what I figured. Sorry to be so blunt... But, if I were you, I would ignore the technical review of the Das Boot Superbit posted on this site.

Try these instead...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...tsuperbit.html

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...oot_dc_sb.html

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...superbit.shtml

http://www.genreonline.net/Das_Boot_Superbit_DVD.html
Old 06-20-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Johnny, thanks! I didn't take your comment to be blunt at all. I've never bought a Superbit and didn't really know where to look for info, other than here. I appreciate the links! I think I will go with the Superbit.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is not a big difference in the video or audio of the Superbit DVD over the original and coupled with the fact that the DTS is in German only (you only get Dolby Surround in English) I think the original is the one to get!

I never understood the facination with having the original foreign language w/ subtitles! You spend your time READING the sub-titles and missing much of the visual stylings of the film that it takes WAY to much from the film. And since Das Boot was dubbed by all but one of the actors themselves you get a very good dubbed version of Das Boot!
Old 06-22-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original version had way too many compression artifacts. The superbit got rid of most of those.
Old 06-22-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
The original version had way too many compression artifacts. The superbit got rid of most of those.
That may have been your DVD player and/or line doubler in your TV because I do not suffer with the major compression artifacting you talk about. I use a Panasonic RP91 & RP62 and a 58" Pioneer HDTV for reference to what equipment I view on.
Old 06-22-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Superbit offers worthy improvement and is a better presentation of the film. Panny 47" HDTV + a Panny RP82, among others, here. The original version suffers from some compression artifacts, not terrible, but they are there. Sorry.

Oh, and dub tracks - for the most part - suck. But I will agree with you that the dub for Das Boot is one of the better dubs around. The "fascination" is simple... Foreign films do not have native English voice tracks... Reading the sub-titles preserves the original presentation of the film. And that, is why we all prefer OAR. Native language presentation of a film is no different.
Old 06-22-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Oh, and dub tracks - for the most part - suck. But I will agree with you that the dub for Das Boot is one of the better dubs around. The "fascination" is simple... Foreign films do not have native English voice tracks... Reading the sub-titles preserves the original presentation of the film. And that, is why we all prefer OAR. Native language presentation of a film is no different.
The original presentation is not much good if you don't speak the language! I think reading subs leaves you missing more of the presentation then dub. You get no more info reading subs then you do a dub and for some reason (unknown to me but pointed out a few times) subs tend to be less accurate through translation then dubs do and you end up seeing less of the film. Not sure if those who do dubs takes more pride in getting the translation more accurate then there sub-titled equivilants.
Old 06-23-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
The original presentation is not much good if you don't speak the language!
Says YOU!

Whatever floats your boat (hey, a pun in the Das Boot thread... yuck yuck yuck) but you're going to miss a world of great films if you can't be bothered with subtitles. Are they always perfect? No. Are they still better than a dub? Absolutely. You would think, on your 58" HDTV, that reading the subs would not be so complicated as to totally ruin your viewing experience...

subs tend to be less accurate through translation then dubs do and you end up seeing less of the film
How would you know? You don't read subtitles.

This is not always the case... I would refer you to Princess Mononoke if you would like to run a quick A/B comparison. The subtitles are more accurate than the dub and it really helps the story. I know this because my GF speaks Japanese.

Now that we've completely run this thread off course... I'll say it again, the Superbit has the superior presentation of this film... Your aversion to subtitles aside, the video and audio presentation on the Superbit is simply better than the original flipper DVD. Period. The end.
Old 06-23-03, 01:43 PM

Most people who enjoy foreign films on a regular basis feel that subtitles, IN GENERAL, give a more accurate translation than dubs. Also, the feeling and emotion you pick up from the original language seems more, well, natural. Just my $.02 worth.

P.S. Once you get the hang of it you won't miss any of the "action" while reading subtitles.

Last edited by mjlukich; 06-23-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-24-03, 11:56 AM

The original presentation is not much good if you don't speak the language! I think reading subs leaves you missing more of the presentation then dub. You get no more info reading subs then you do a dub and for some reason (unknown to me but pointed out a few times) subs tend to be less accurate through translation then dubs do and you end up seeing less of the film. Not sure if those who do dubs takes more pride in getting the translation more accurate then there sub-titled equivilants.
I think I remember on the comentary that the original German actor did their own dubbing for the English version. But a lot of the tension of this movie comes from the silence, so dubbing or subtitles are not necessary in those instances.
Old 06-24-03, 03:32 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I vote Superbit. The DTS and picture quality pack a wallop.
Old 07-05-03, 02:52 PM
Banned

I never understood the facination with having the original foreign language w/ subtitles! You spend your time READING the sub-titles and missing much of the visual stylings of the film that it takes WAY to much from the film. And since Das Boot was dubbed by all but one of the actors themselves you get a very good dubbed version of Das Boot!
Great film. You're lucky with the quality of the dub on Das Boot. I typically prefer subtitles. I understand what you mean regarding the loss in visuals. Albeit, you'd be amazed at how quick one can learn to read subtitling to the point where it does not detract from the visual flow of the film.

Personally, I'd assume rewatch the movie (I often do depending on the title. Three sittings is typical for me .. 1 for movie, 2 for audio, 3 for recap) to pick up the visuals as a trade off for, similar to OAR principle, original actor voices in this case. As far as I'm concerned, the emotional aspects and feel of the movie is lost with poor dubbing .. and I find that that is usually the case. Not to mention, there are way to many times when the dubbed script is far off from the intended screenplay. But, to each his own I suppose. At least there is a choice on the matter.

Here's an instance for you.
Spoiler:
I picked up The Bride With White Hair this weekend. There's a point in the movie directly after Wu Tang clan had been anhilated where in subtitling, Brigitte Lin states, "their deaths are not of my concern", after asked if she had wiped out the clan. However, in English dubbing, she responds "I swear to you, I did not do it". Now, to me .. if I do understand English as well as I believe, these two phrases mean two separate things. The first is avoiding a direct response (uncaring of their demise sort to speak), whereas the second is an absolute. Now, in context with the rest of the scene, I'm left with an entirely different impression that I otherwise would have.

You can call my thoughts on the matter the mother of all nitpicking or whatever you will. It still doesn't change the fact that the differences in subtitling and dubbing can be to the extreme of either nonexistant to a completely different feel for the film.

Either way .. and again, at least there's the choice of having both.

Regards
Old 10-15-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Which Das Boot to buy?

Fyi there's a new "TV version" released on amazon.de. thinking of getting it but a semi-translated comment says the last disc has different audio.