Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked 06-23-03

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked 06-23-03

I think The History Channel is starting to take a few pointers from MTV and ESPN:

Industry insiders like Stan Lee and Neil Gaiman (The Sandman) reflect on the way their colorful creations reflect society at large.

They have spread from the pulpy pages of nickel comics to Saturday morning cartoons, the big screen and beyond. They have evolved from simple, All-American heroes to tortured, complicated characters reflecting the dreams, desires and fears of modern society. From Superman to The Sandman, COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES UNMASKED is a fascinating, feature-length look at the evolution of an art form that has proved remarkably adaptable and enduring.

Filled with classic images from DC and Marvel Comics as well as extensive interviews with modern masters of the graphic novel like Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller (The Dark Knight Returns), TIME MACHINE goes far beyond the superficial escapist fantasies to probe the forces that shaped the characters who have become legend. In the adventures of The Incredible Hulk, Spider Man, The X-Men and many more are echoes of American society in the last century, and the art form continues to evolve and innovate today.
Link

Sounds interesting though, especially with Gaiman, Lee, and Miller all showing up.

Oh, and the DVD is already available: http://store.aetv.com/html/catalog/v...wseCategoryId=

Just $29.95
Old 06-20-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-20-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Geez, why on Monday night at 9 p.m.? There's too much in that timeslot already!
Old 06-20-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
Oh, and the DVD is already available: http://store.aetv.com/html/catalog/v...wseCategoryId=

Just $29.95
From the site: "This DVD Library title is created in the DVD+R format. This disc does not feature menu pages or special features like standard DVDs, simply the high quality programming you've come to expect from us."

So, A&E is now creating DVD+Rs? When did that start?
Old 06-20-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Geez, why on Monday night at 9 p.m.? There's too much in that timeslot already!
It airs again later from 1 a.m. - 3 a.m.
Old 06-20-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bboisvert
So, A&E is now creating DVD+Rs? When did that start?
I didn't even see that!

Not only is it $30 for the DVD, but it's no better than what I could slap together with my DVD burner?

Actually, mine would be better: I'd have menus
Old 06-20-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This is a pretty good special, I got an advance VHS about a month ago.
Old 06-20-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FAQ

Why did A&E Television and The History Channel create the DVD Library on the DVD+R format?

We receive many emails from customers that write, "I'm interested in owning a show on DVD but I only see it available on video. I don't buy videos anymore. Do you sell it on DVD?" Customers have spoken and we have listened! As more and more people are interested in DVDs, we want to offer as much of our programming on DVD as we can. We chose the DVD+R format to sell our shows over other DVD formats due to its high digital video and audio capability and its compatibility with most DVD players.
Old 06-20-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Woo Hoo! I'll set my ReplayTV to record the later showing!
Old 06-21-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just put up advance coverage of the documentary, if anyone's interested. A&E sent me a bunch of great art for it.
http://www.slushfactory.com/content/...FVFLaAyxYD.php

It's worth watching, by the way. I enjoyed it.
Old 06-22-03, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Is it better than Kevin Smith's Mutants & Monsters? Lee is intereting but Smith worships him so much its more like a mutual admiration society than anything.

Plus I don't believe alot of the stuff Lee says anymore- it seems like half of it is BS he's built up over the years. I'd love to see him interviewed by an objective source.
Old 06-23-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^bump^^

This is on tonight!
Old 06-23-03, 10:25 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was very well done. I've been a comic geek for over 15 years, so I would have preferred more modern creators talking about their's and other creator's work. But as a history of superheroes in comics, this was great.

I'm curious how many people on this board read comics. TV and comics are my favorite mediums for art and entertainment. I really enjoy seeing characters and plots developing over time and think there's lots of crossover appeal between comics and TV.

For anybody who doesn't read comics, but is interested in them, I highly recommend Ultimate Spider-man and Y-The Last Man. They're my 2 favorite monthly comics and I can see some aspects of my favorite TV shows in them. They are also both collected in affordable collections that you can usually find at bookstores.
Old 06-23-03, 11:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I know this special was specifically on the American superhero comic scene yet with mentions of British series as Watchman and The Sandman, the filmmakers didn't even dare mention the manga/anime scene since that would have been a whole two hour docu in of itself. Fascinating docu, for anyone who missed it, a DVD/VHS edition of the film is available for ordering from History Channel's online store.
Old 06-23-03, 11:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It was pretty good. They packed in a lot for the amount of time they had.
Old 06-24-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They talk about the collecting boom in the early 90's and showed several of the "Death of Superman" comics,

but did they ever mention that Superman was killed off and that is what caused people buying multiple copies of Superman/Batman/X-Men...

It seemed like Stan/History Channel skipped over that point.
Old 06-24-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just an FYI for those like me that missed this thread until today, the show replays Sunday, June 29, 2003 at 2am ET/PT. And it lasts two (2) hours.
Old 06-24-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
I thought it was pretty interesting. Stan Lee seemed pretty objective and honest about his place in the whole scheme of things. They didn't spend a whole lot of time on any one particular comic, either.

For the most part, I liked the semi-animated panels from the old comic books, too. Good show.
Old 06-24-03, 01:09 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
They talk about the collecting boom in the early 90's and showed several of the "Death of Superman" comics,

but did they ever mention that Superman was killed off and that is what caused people buying multiple copies of Superman/Batman/X-Men...

It seemed like Stan/History Channel skipped over that point.
I may have my dates wrong, but I think after the death of Superman is when buying multiple copies stopped rather than started. I think it peaked with the 5 covers for X-men #1 which they did show and I'm pretty sure that issue came out before the whole death of Superman thing. I don't know why people started buying multiple copies of comics, but one thing that helped was putting out comics in sealed bags with cards. People didn't want to open the bag because the comic wouldn't be mint anymore, so they'd buy 1 issue to read and 1 issue to collect.

I think the speculator market may have actually started with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Modern comics weren't worth much because there was so many copies of them, but TMNT was the first really successful indie comic. Since independent comics weren't popular, there weren't that many copies of the early TMNT comics, so their value justifiably went up. People thought this would carry over to comics that were already popular. For a short while this was probably true since the speculators created a false demand. But, when the supply grew to meet the demand, the demand vanished.
Old 06-24-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the speculators market also stopped after the formation of image. when image first started, the issues were flying off the shelves, but after awhile, when most of the creators couldn't keep anything on schedule is another point when the bubble burst.

anyway, as someone who has been collecting comics for 20 years, i thought that this was really good. it didn't have time to go in depth with everything, but i thouroughly enjoyed what there was of it.
Old 06-24-03, 02:27 PM

My only complant is that it was too short. I really wish that they did this over two night. And had it be four hour long. Other wise it was a great show. It was nice to put faces to a lot of peoples faces.
Old 06-24-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I missed something.

When that "M.D." tried to crack down on comics in the 50's, he said that Wonder Woman had that "S&M" thing going on and that Batman and Robin were "homosexuals". What was his argument against Superman? I didn't catch that.
Old 06-24-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
I think it was that Superman solved all his problems through violence.

Never knew about the S&M thing with Wonder Woman. Did they really have a kinky side to them, or did this guy just overreact to a handful of double entendre drawings?
Old 06-24-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

According to the special, the early Wonder Woman comics were full of S&M stuff and the creator was a little on the kinky side also.

D
Old 06-24-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
A couple of interesting articles:

Fredric Wertham - Anti-Comics Crusader Who Turned Advocate
Seduction of the Innocent is a remarkable book. Like most of Dr. Wertham's publications, it is short on proof of its assertions and long on polemics, anecdotes related without any sources cited, and literary quotations or allusions crowbarred into the text. Several generations of comics fans have had a chance to discover the book and react to it now, and everything you've heard about it is probably true. Dr. Wertham does accuse Superman of being a fascist, Batman and Robin of being a homosexual fantasy of a man and a boy living together, and Wonder Woman of being just plain kinky (judging from the early years of that strip, with all the downright astonishing emphasis on bondage and submission, I'd have to say he called that one pretty well).
William Marston’s Secret Identity: The strange private life of Wonder Woman’s creator
Marston’s personal life was every bit as unconventional as his ideas about matriarchy; if nothing else, the details make one wonder about his fixation on liberated women. In 1915, the same year he graduated from Harvard, Marston married a Mt. Holyoke grad named Elizabeth Holloway, who went on to earn an M.A. and law degree, and to assist him in his psychological research. In the late ’20s, when teaching at Tufts University, Marston met a student named Olive Richard, who moved in with him and his wife.

Marston had two children by each woman and he and his wife formally adopted his children by Richard. "It was an arrangement where they [all] lived together fairly harmoniously," one of Marston’s sons told Daniels. A business associate vouched for Marston’s offbeat arrangement, remembering him as "the most remarkable host, with a lovely bunch of kids from different wives...all living together like one big family -- everybody very happy and all good, decent people."

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-24-03 at 05:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.