Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Random Ramblings and a few questions (spoilers?)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several theories and questions and didn't want to start a separate thread for each one, so I'm just going to lump them all together.

1. Race - (hopefully this will stay civilized) My dad pointed out (after he read it on the web I think) that we never see any non-awakened humans of color in the Matrix (this isn't counting the Animatrix). Conversely, the population of Zion seems to be highly skewed against caucasians. What does that mean?

2. Who is "The Mother?" - I read in one thread here that the Merovingian represented Hades. Hades kidnapped Persephone from Zeus (The Architect?) and forced her to marry him. Persephone was the daughter of Zeus and Demeter (I think) so who is Demeter?

3. What's the point? - Why would the machines try to save any humans? They were being oppressed and developed a self-preservation instinct which caused them to revolt. Once they killed all the humans, they would really have no raison d'être and wouldn't really have anything to do and wouldn't need power. Why wouldn't they just kill everyone and then put themselves into "Standby" or something?

4. My theory - This is not a MiaM theory IMO but some people will disagree. I think that Neo is a program, hence the Architect saying he needed to return his "code" to the source. I think they are all programs. I think maybe the machines won the war and killed off all the human beings and then had nothing to do, so started trying to recreate humanity. Perhaps so that they could see what drives us. In this case, the Matrix isn't real, and neither is the real world. Maybe it's like a giant AI game of SimCity.

5. Freeing Neo - Assuming that there is no MiaM, why would the machines have ever let him go? They sort of knew who he was and yet chose to let unplug him and flush him. Why wouldn't they have just killed him in his pod and then flushed him.

I think I had some more, but I can't recall them right now. But, this is why I loved this movie. Normally, I'll go spend 2 hours watching a movie and then think "That was pretty good/bad." and that'll be the end of it. This one I spent 2 hours watching it and then 2 months discussing it with people.

Old 06-19-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just remembered one...

6. Color (non-racial) - dad said he saw something on the web about this but I haven't been able to find anything. The Matrix is shown as green, but when Neo is using his super powers while the operator is watching, the screens flash blue. And, "he who protects that which is most sacred" is golden (or yellow.) Yellow and blue combine to make green. So, perhaps the Matrix is some amalgam of programming and humanity and Neo and the bodyguard are each a pure program or human (but I don't know which would be which?)

Old 06-19-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'll find most of the answers here - http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=292547

What, are we supposed to expaline every story line every time someone comes here who just saw the movie? You want answers, do some homework, it's all right there in that thread. ROOKIE!!!!
Old 06-19-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee... I'm so hurt being called "Rookie" by someone that registered the same month I did.

You'll have to forgive me for not reading every single thread.

Old 06-19-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I read through all 10 pages and didn't find the answers to all of my questions.

According to the Merovingian beliefs I read, originally there was God and he got lonely so created from himself a wife (Yse) and God represented order and Yse represented chaos and emotion. She immediately fell in love with God and kissed him and displayed the "Chosen Response." They procreated and gave birth to other gods. The gods became bored by their perfection, so God created earth so that the gods could incarnate as humans and experience imperfection and emotion. One of the gods Adamus or Lucifer disagreed with the decision and rebelled against God. So, all of life plays out as the forces of order and chaos try to balance and once they do the whole thing starts over again.

I think that is very analogous to the story here. If the machines won the war and AI was all that was left, perhaps it split itself into the Architect and the Mother (who I believe is Persephone, because she is the most emotional and goes around kissing everyone.)

Speaking of which, if the Merovingian created a cake program to alter that woman, could Persephone have written a lipstick program to alter Neo, and that's why she put the lipstick on right before kissing him?

7 (who btw didn't JUST see the movie, but saw it on the opening preview night.)