Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Reviews Qestuon re: 16X9

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 02:00 PM

Location: Omaha, Nebraska Politics: Conservative Gender: Male
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know where to post this question, but will try the review section.

Why do most of the DVD Talk reviews not indicate whether a DVD transfer is anamorphic or not? I frequently click on the review links shown as covers on this site, but find that most of the time there is no mention of the 16X9 enhancement status as part of the review.

Don't the reviewers understand the importance of this? I, and many others, will not buy a DVD unless it is anamorphic.

P.S. I really can spell question, it's just a typo.
Old 06-19-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I always mention it in my reviews, and although I don't read every review that's posted to the site, the majority of the ones I've checked make mention of it.

I checked the 15 most recently added reviews to get a quick idea. Of the letterboxed discs, all but one made mention of whether or not the DVD was enhanced for widescreen televisions. If there's a reviewer you've noticed has persistently ignored mentioning if a disc is 16x9 enhanced or not, please drop him or her a line and ask them to take that into consideration.
Old 06-22-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you can pretty much go by the fact that if the reviewer is not ranting or raving that a DVD is non-Anamorphic, it's a safe bet that the DVD is Anamorphic. These days it is almost unheard of for a studio to release a non-Anamorphic DVD and the few times it does occur there is a HUGE uprising complaining about it!
Old 06-22-03, 05:38 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Keep in mind that if a movie "is" anamorphic, the production company will usually say so on the dvd case and the reviewer will mention it. If the movie is "not" anamorphic, typically from a smaller production company, the reviewer just call it widescreen and hopefully give the aspect ratio.

(most of my reviews are on adult, anime or independent releases and hardly any of them are anamorphic-if I know it is, I'll say so)