Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV Questions. I'm going to buy one soon

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal. I'm going to be buying a 50 inch HDTV soon. Probably a 4:3 ratio, either samsung or mitsubishi (both are around $1500 at bestbuy).

Is a tv like this good for an everyday tv, to watch news and tv shows (digital cable) with it constantly being turned off and on.

Is a tv like this good for video games (gamecube and ps2) and will it cause burn in after playing for a couple of hours?

Do i calibrate it myself or do i use that avia disc to calibrate it?

I'm buying a tv for the first time, and i just want to make sure i'm making the right decision. so if you have any advice or answers, please let me know. i don't want to have to buy another tv in a couple of years because i treated this one bad. thanks for all the replies!!!
Old 06-18-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as the ratio goes, buy whichever you view the most, or are the most discerning with. HDTV is no different than a regular TV for turning on and off. In general, the larger the screen, the crappier regular cable will look. Digital Cable is not HDTV. It is an analog signal carried digitally. There may be some HD channels available though. All video games warn against playing on an RPTV. Any static image can cause burn in. Mosty people who do it haven't reported any problems as long as you keep the image moving. Use a disc to calibrate if possible. It takes out the guesswork.
Old 06-18-03, 11:02 PM

Standard definition is simply awful on an HDTV. I realise that that picture quality is somewhat subjective....but honestly regular cable or even satellite TV looks nasty on an HDTV. The upscaling and conversion process done in high definition sets destroys even the most pristine dv material....with cable stuff it is unwatchable to my eyes.

HDTV's do a magnificent job with the material that they are designed to handle...720p and 1080i. DVD's in 480p are okay.
Old 06-19-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Freud
HDTV's do a magnificent job with the material that they are designed to handle...720p and 1080i. DVD's in 480p are okay.
You must have one hellasiouly bad HDTV if your DVD's look "Okay"! DVD's on my 58" Pioneer HDTV look fantastic! On ever HDTV I have seen play DVD's they look damn good!
Old 06-19-03, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I just got my Tosh 51H83 and, honestly, I think cable looks pretty good on it. We only sit about 10' away, but I was surprised it looks as good as it does. The stretch modes are awesome as well. As a matter of fact, I watch all of my regular cable in TheaterWide1 mode, and I'm so glad I didn't get a 4:3 set.
Old 06-19-03, 06:48 PM

so should i be looking more into a 16:9?
Old 06-19-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i would STRONGLY consider 16:9. personally i wouldn't even consider going with a 4:3 HDTV at this point. not a chance. but some people don't have access to HDTV and watch a lot of old black and white movies...for them the 4:3 set makes sense.
Old 06-19-03, 10:59 PM

usage questions

I've got a Sony KP51 and I'm wondering about the best viewing. I'm getting burn-in from watching it in 4:3 too often. It turns 1 years old on Saturday. I'm glad I got the extended warranty from Best Buy. I'm waiting for 3 tubes to come in.

Should "widescreen" be the way to watch it everyday?

I've played PS2 on it and I can see how burn-in would be a concern. If you were playing Pacman, I 'm sure the maze would get burned in. If you play GTA, the constant scene changes shouldn't be a problem.

anybody with similar problems/experiences?

Last edited by DocBrass; 06-20-03 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-20-03, 12:05 AM

To add what others have said...if ya gonna go HD go 16:9. I would try NOT to watch 4:3 stuff for too long however....burn in is a real issue with my HDTV's. How much varies set to set.

As far as DVD's looking fabulous on HDTV's...I'll stick with my original assessment. The look okay or decent. They are far inferior to the best DVHS HD material.....this is my point of comparison.
Old 06-20-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I use my 48" WS HDTV for everyday use. I just watch 4x3 material in stretch mode. It definitely takes some getting used to, but with more and more primetime TV and sports going HD, I won't be watching as much stuff that way.
Old 06-20-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a thread going in DVD Talk about HDTV and I asked this question there.......but thought to post here for a few more opinions.

To the HDTV experts, how does this one stack up?
Old 06-20-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by crow121
so should i be looking more into a 16:9?
Absolutely!
All HD material is in the 16:9 format. To buy a 4:3 HDTV would be instantly obsoleting yourself. With the new Fall season right around the corner, I would expect to see more HD shows that ever before.
stretch modes for watching 4:3 shows are actually done pretty well so that it is barely noticeable.
Old 06-20-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Panny 47" 16x9 and I'm very glad I did. CSI, Without a Trace, Six Feet Under, etc look fantastic and they're all broadcast in 16x9. I watch a lot of DVD's too, and they do look fantastic. Much better than my old 32" Sony did. I wouldn't ever buy a 4:3 again.

I have DirecTv and watch that in stretch mode, really isn't that bad. It did look better on my old Sony, but after about a week I got used to it. Certainly nowhere close to HD, but watchable.
Old 06-20-03, 01:37 PM
Banned

Re: usage questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DocBrass
[B]I've got a Sony KP51 and I'm wondering about the best viewing. I'm getting burn-in from watching it in 4:3 too often. It turns 1 years old on Saturday. I'm glad I got the extended warranty from Best Buy. I'm waiting for 3 tubes to come in.

This is what I usually do. I only view HDTV and DVDs on my 16:9 home theater, and when I want to watch just regular network 4:3 programming, then I use my other 27" TV in my bedroom for that purpose only, and that will eliminate any possible longevity burn in viewing on your 16:9 HDTV set. It works for me.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 06-20-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 01:58 PM
Rest in Peace

crow121

I bought my fully integreted HDTV with line doulbler over 2 years ago. I have a webtv screen in full which takes up most or the 20 inches high and 34.5 inche wide in glass screen. I have 18,891 hours as seen in my Service Menu odometer, Since I am home disabled I use the RCCA F38310 more than most people.

I have 3 years of my purchased off G.E. Appliances than RCA warranty left. A 24/7/365 fan has been running all the time except when the building loses power to Electrcal black out due to storm or car hitting a pole.

If your thinking 4:3 than go with the diaginol measurement. Sony's big 40 inch TV does't have as wide a picture as my 16 x 9. When meauring diaginols take 7 inches off for 4:3 and for 16 x 9 divide 7/8 of diaginol for your width.

Example my F38310 should have a 38 inch diaginol 1/2 of 16 x 9 is you height. 38 devided by 2 is 19 inches, your width or 7/8 of same diaginol would 33.25 inches.

A 4:3 38 inch TV would be the same 20 inches high, but the width using minus 7 inches would be 31 inches and a lot more black bars seen in 4:3. BTW make like it's your local theater turn out the lights or pull the shades. View the picture wide if you go with 16 X 9 or in 4:3 a full 2.25 inches shorter on the same diaginol measure.

Good luck with your purchase what ever format you choose to go with, buy Wide Screen DVD, no matter if you buy a 4:3

P.S. Like the others have told you, that buying a 4:3 is bad news for the coming digital age; in value of your purchase. Whereas 16 X 9 will be worth more money at trade in time.