Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Soldier of Fortune 2 XBOX Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soldier of Fortune 2 XBOX Anyone?

Anybody picking this up? If you wait till thursday you can get it for $34.95 with gamers card.
Old 06-17-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the PC version of this game, I don't know about getting it for the Xbox yet. I waiting for the reviews.
Old 06-19-03, 09:39 AM

Ign has their review up. Looks like they didn't like it too well.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/424/424963p1.html
Presentation 4.0
This game suffers from uber long load times, boring loading screens and menus, pretty blah graphics, horrid collision detections, and a huge neon sign pointing out this is one heck of a sloppy port.

Graphics 4.0
When a game a next generation console game's graphics can be likened to Ghost Recon and Goldeneye, you know something is wrong.

Sound 5.0
Repetitive, annoying sound effects and an almost non-existent soundtrack leaves a lot to be aurally desired.

Gameplay 6.0
It's a standard straightforward shooter. You don't need tactics or stealth to get through this one.

Lasting Appeal 8.0
With plenty of single player and multiplayer options, you could play this game for months to come. Heaven help you.

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 5.8
Old 06-20-03, 01:38 AM

From everything I have read so far, sounds like a bad game. I've been reading around the different forums and I have to say about 80% of the people hate the game. I was going to buy it but I think I'm going to pass on it now.
Old 06-20-03, 08:13 AM

I had a $10 gift card and one of those $5 off coupons burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to pick it up.

Random thoughts:

I'm no graphics whore, but damn...this is one of the ugliest ports I've ever seen.

Much like the pc version, the single player aspect of the game is pretty umremarkable But, for some reason, I kind of like playing the randomly generated missions

This game's saving grace is Xbox Live. I played for about an hour and a half and had a great time. If you're looking for another game to add to your XBL library and you can find it for a fairly cheap price, pick it up. Otherwise, skip it.
Old 06-20-03, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Yes this game is excellent online. The Graphics Service the game Nuff said
Old 06-20-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The multiplayer options for this game are wonderful on the PC. The game is almost too realistic. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 06-20-03, 02:55 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Xbox Live fun factor compared to Ghost Recon or RTCW? Anybody?
Old 06-22-03, 11:35 AM

This is by far the best FPS online for the Xbox. This game is basically Counterstrike. Fans of Counterstrike will have to pick this up.
The people who complain about the graphics are wrong. They are not that bad. Besides, when you are playing a LAG FREE FPS, little details in graphics don't mean poop.
Quite Frankly - it's a more enjoyable FPS than RTCW - and the fact that there are servers is good enough for me.
80 % of my time with RTCW is spent looking for a good host. Not so with SOF2. In 3 days of playing, I've had 95 % of Lag Free goodness!
Old 06-22-03, 12:25 PM

I had doubts about this game after reading the review from IGN. Once I got on Live, it totally changed my mind. This game kicks some serious A$$ in the fun department!
Beware this game is very addictive.

The average reader review at Gamespot is 8.5 ( out of 10 ) out of 45 reviewers.

And it's ranked at number 3 in the top 10 list if that makes anyone feel any better.

As a rule it's best to take all reviews with a grain of salt and make You're own decision after actually playing it.
Old 06-22-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also like the game. It definitely can be very addicting and I like the gore factor though I thought the first SOF had more gore. Based on the reviews I didn't think it was going to be good but in my opinion it's not that bad at all.
Old 06-22-03, 10:41 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, you guys are tempting me!!! I thought I could give this one a pass. I'll at least give it a rent now.

Old 06-23-03, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by dgc
Damn, you guys are tempting me!!! I thought I could give this one a pass. I'll at least give it a rent now.

Depending on your tastes, it's easily just as fun as either of the above.

One nice online touch is that if you're very near enemies (i.e. unknowingly in the same room) who are talking to each other, you overhear them in your headset. Then you have to whisper to your teammates to avoid the same fate as you hunt them down.

All games of this type should have this feature.
Old 06-24-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer

One nice online touch is that if you're very near enemies (i.e. unknowingly in the same room) who are talking to each other, you overhear them in your headset. Then you have to whisper to your teammates to avoid the same fate as you hunt them down.
Wow, what a great idea. That adds an element of strategy.