Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko dir) doing now?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know? He seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. I'd love to know what he is working on right now.
Old 06-17-03, 12:16 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kelly,%20Richard%20(II)

Looks like he's got a film in pre-production right now.
Old 06-17-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Supposedly he's doing a collaboration of some sort with Aronofsky (that'll be interesting if it gets off the ground) and I'm sure he has 2 or 3 other irons in the fire.

If he stays true to the intelligence and good taste he displayed in Donnie Darko he hopefully won't be consigned to "Orson Welles syndrome."
Old 06-17-03, 03:37 PM

look his name up on AICN they have had a handful of articles/rumors about him in the last year or so
Old 06-17-03, 03:46 PM

making up a book to base his next movie on?
Old 06-17-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From IMdb:

Knowing (2004)

A water main breaks, resulting in repair crews unearthing an elementary school's time capsule. But when the chairman of the town's historical society opens the capsule, he finds more than he bargained for. Full of children's drawings, the sketches are predictions of the future. But one child's pictures are much more than ridiculous future worlds. Each sketch accurately predicts some of the greatest tragedies from the past fourty years. Only one of the drawings has yet to come true. In a race against time, the chairman sets out to prevent the last drawing from becoming a reality.
Old 06-17-03, 03:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That actually sounds pretty good, although wasn't there a tv series like that? "Morning Edition"?
Old 06-17-03, 04:08 PM

school kids
time travel to prevent tragedy
water main breaking

Well, at least the general public hasn't seen DD.
Old 06-17-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Hopefully, working on an apology for DD.
Old 06-17-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Hehehe.. Regardless of my sig, I agree to an extent.
Old 06-17-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

probably a comic book adaptation. I mean everyone else is.
Old 06-17-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LMFAO!!!! Best post I've seen in months! Well done! And really, the hype wasn't his fault, it was my many pot head friends touting this one, not Richard Kelly. I give him all the credit in the world for assembling that cast and making that beautiful a movie on that budget. It so happens wasn't completely my cup of tea, but I'd like to see more of his work.
Old 06-18-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sonuvabitch stole my idea...

No, seriously, I had written a treatment about some teens that had rediscovered the music of a forgotten sixties/seventies PinkFlyodish rock band, whose songs were filled with weird symbols and imagery about seemingly impossible events. Just so happens that each song's event has come true, in track order; After the horrible event described in the last song of their second-to-last album comes true, the teens take a closer look at the lyrics of the band's "fairwell" album...

Sounds good, huh?

Yeah, right. It sucked. Can't believe I used the whole "no-one will believe us because we're teenagers but we're still right!" cliche... I for one hope that Kelly's film will be at least HALF the film Darko was.
Old 06-18-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
LMFAO!!!! Best post I've seen in months! Well done! And really, the hype wasn't his fault, it was my many pot head friends touting this one, not Richard Kelly. I give him all the credit in the world for assembling that cast and making that beautiful a movie on that budget. It so happens wasn't completely my cup of tea, but I'd like to see more of his work.
As much as I love Donnie Darko, I do agree that he could have let us in on a little more information during the film than he did. It wouldn't have dumbed it down, either.
Old 06-18-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My main problem with DD -- and I have many, but this is the main one -- is that the film is not self-contained. It is deliberately obtuse long past the point of comprehension. Many people reply with "Oh yes, well, you have to check out the web site or the DVD extras to understand the full story", to which I say Bullcrap. The movie simply cannot stand on its own.

Mulholland Drive is a great example of a complex film, rich with imagery, symbols, questionable reality, plot twists, etc., that presents a fully-realized tale within a dreamlike reality. The undercooked Donnnie Darko needed to stay in the oven for about another twenty-minutes or so.

Nonetheless, I do look forward to seeing Kelly's next film -- I admired DD's unconventional and imaginative nature. Given time and the right script, he has the potential to make a truly great film.
Old 06-18-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

My main problem with DD -- and I have many, but this is the main one -- is that the film is not self-contained. It is deliberately obtuse long past the point of comprehension. Many people reply with "Oh yes, well, you have to check out the web site or the DVD extras to understand the full story", to which I say Bullcrap. The movie simply cannot stand on its own.

Mulholland Drive is a great example of a complex film, rich with imagery, symbols, questionable reality, plot twists, etc., that presents a fully-realized tale within a dreamlike reality. The undercooked Donnnie Darko needed to stay in the oven for about another twenty-minutes or so.

Nonetheless, I do look forward to seeing Kelly's next film -- I admired DD's unconventional and imaginative nature. Given time and the right script, he has the potential to make a truly great film.
Totally diagree. Mulhollan Drive is a complex mess, and there is no logical/singular deffinition/interpatation. Let alone if the internet didn't exist, you would have no idea what the hell was going on.

DD is quite easy to pick up, it's just ambigous and not as "clever". DD is miles above MD. Maybe Kelly should have thrown a lesbian scene in, then film fans would be gushing over it more.
Old 06-18-03, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That does seem to be a trap that artistic filmmakers typically fall into: make the film so obtuse and explain very little in order to appear more clever than you may actually be.
Old 06-18-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
Let alone if the internet didn't exist, you would have no idea what the hell was going on.
oh please. I know many people, myself included, that had no problems interpreting Mulholland Drive quite capably on our own without having to use the Salon.com article as a crutch. If you can't figure out Mulholland Drive on your own, then you should stick to simpler films.

That being said, I also really liked Donnie Darko (as well as Mulholland Drive) but I understand people's criticisms of it even though I don't agree. I was quite happy leaving a lot of Donnie Darko's plot complications a mystery.....it was much later I actually read that "book" on the dvd. Found it interesting, but not necesarry to enjoy the movie. I've never been to any websites about the film, and don't feel it is necessary.
Old 06-18-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never had any problems interpreting Mulholland Drive either. I didn't get 100% of the symbolism/foreshadowing, but I got the basic gist of the storyline. Hell, compared to Lost Highway, it was a freakin' episode of the Teletubbies.
Old 06-19-03, 06:53 AM
Cool New Member

I hope that Richard Kelley's Bessie gets made. A movie about a genetically altered cow with the intellegence of a retarded 12 year old girl sounds intriging to me.

*Side note - Mulholland Drive was a big time mess. Sometimes the symbollyism just isn't there.
Old 06-19-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Total non-sequitor: I just love the way "symbollyism" sounds...
Old 06-19-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whatever your opinion of Donnie Darko, or your opinion of the irrelevant-to-this-thread-anyway Mulholland Dr., you can't deny that they have their fans and have inspired more discussion than most other films released in their respective years, which is a credit to them. Any film that has people buzzing over interpretation, meaning, and symbollyism (it's a NEW word!) has respect in my book. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to Kelly's upcoming film.
Old 06-22-03, 02:03 PM

SPOILER BELOW!

I always felt the film was basically about Donnie having the chance to come to terms with his own death. Didnt really seem that difficult to figure out.

Last edited by rushmore223; 06-22-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-22-03, 02:23 PM

He is doing a movie called Cats Cradle with Darren Aranofsky from Kurt Vonnegguts story of the government pursuing the ICE 09 weapon/formula. I find a really good way of staying on top of films way before they even start production is Hollywood Stock Exchange www.hsx.com.

has alot of info and can be a really addictive game.
Old 06-22-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ice 9 is also a great tune by Joe Satriani. Good to know!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.