Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies Filmed in Your Neighborhood

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any movies shot in your neighborhood ? If so which ones?

The " Nursing School " in Slums of Beverly Hills is actually a library
a few blocks away.

Suburbia ( 80's ) was shot on my street and the next one over. ( The scene where they go around stealing food and beer from peoples garages )
Old 06-16-03, 05:15 PM

I live in Highland Park/Eagle Rock, Los Angeles CA. Right between Pasadena and Gledale since I was 2:

RESEVOIR DOGS - many scenes on York Blvd in HP, running on the street shoot out.
PULP FICTION - hotel were Bruce Willis and his crazy GF stayed in silver lake, about 20 mins away from me

as you can see..Quentin likes that area

BIKER BOYZ - Diner where the BB riders first meet, shot in Eagle Rock

TRAINING DAY - many scenes in LA, pretty darn close to me.

those are the one I can think of now...
Old 06-16-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Just behind my apartment, they used a house for a scene in Mystery Men where they were recruiting members.
Old 06-16-03, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the first few minutes of the first American Pie as two characters are driving to school, there is a shot of their car driving down the street. For what ever reason this is the street I grew up on in Long Beach, CA. I was shocked when I saw this in the theater.

The recent indie "hit" Better Luck Tommorow was filmed partly at the Balboa Pier which is a couple hundred yards from where I live now.

Great now you all know everything about me. Stalk Away!

The Immortal Classic, Gleaming the Cube, was also filmed right by me and the video for INXS's song Devil Inside was filmed at at bar right by me, The Balboa Saloon.

Going back to Long Beach, the bar that Kevin Costner and Whitney Crack-head go to in The Bodyguard was filmed at one of my favorite bars in Long Beach.

I lived in LA for a while, there's tons of locations there.

I had an odd experience last year while watching DePalma's Body Double. I'm watching the movie and practically every location is someplace I've been. Barnie's Beanery in LA, this weird stair-step apartment building on the beach in Long Beach, an adjacent pedestrian tunnel (now closed), even the Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. which was where I'd bought the DVD!!! Talk about Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Pants; 06-16-03 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The best known would probably be in Easy Money when Rodney and Joe tried to eat at a diner that was open for 23 hours. That wasn't a creation for the movie, that diner was really closed one hour per day. The diner is still there but it's many times removed from the one that appeared in the movie.

Honk!
Old 06-16-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Next Karate Kid shot in my high school.
Old 06-16-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Mojave Desert (Victorville,CA)

Stagecoach
Grand Theft Auto ('77)
Face-Off
Breakdown
From Dusk 'til Dawn (Restaurant where the preacher eats at)
Contact
Hulk (What used to be George Air Force Base)
Kill Bill (Emma Jean’s Holland Burger,"Route 66 Restaurant", and Club Reflections)

Another area that Quentin likes!
Old 06-16-03, 07:32 PM

Basically the entire film Mallrats was filmed at the mall I grew up going to. Eden Prairie, New Jersey is actually Eden Prairie, Minnesota, a surburb of Minneapolis. I would be happy to answer any questions about the mall for any Mallrats cult followers out there.
Old 06-16-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Parts of "The Insider" were shot at the Seelbach Hotel, near the Kennedy Bridge, and at Manual High School in Louisville, KY.

I remember cause Pacino came to the movie theater I was working at around that time to see "Saving Private Ryan". The manager sneaked him in the back door, and then sneaked him out the back door again after the movie.

Oh yeah, the guy who throws the paper at Russell Crowe's character in the airport is a drama teacher at Manual High School. I watched the movie with some people who went there and they suddenly screamed when they saw that scene "It's (whatever his name was) the drama teacher!"

Last edited by DGibFen; 06-16-03 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 10:17 PM

Sunshine State was filmed here in NE Florida. They filmed a scene with Angela Bassett at a local mall near my house.
Old 06-16-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not really fair if you live in LA, since they film all over there.

At my High School (in LA-area, El Segundo) they filmed some short-lived TV show (King's Crossing, I think it was called, and all the actors were WAY too old to be in a show about High School) + a McDonald's commercial, they filmed a burger king commercial across the street (the duke of doubt, I think it was called) by a fountain, as well as a show with Morgan Fairchild and some actor at the same spot. Also an episode of Chips up the street.

Oh, plus they filmed a bunch of parts of the Black Marble (movie), including the star (Robert Foxworth) sitting on the steps of the Methodist Church with his pants falling down, plus a bunch of scenes in a Russian Orthodox church in El Segundo.

In Santa Monica, where I was born, by my grannie's old house, I saw them filming a car crash for the Charlie's Angels show (I was probably about 13, and the crew members asked me if I knew where they could get some pot [I didn't, by the way]). I missed the stars, just their extras were there by the time I showed up.

Also in Santa Monica, I watched them film the Lee Harvey Oswald arrest scene with Frederick Forrest from a TV movie, Ruby and Oswald, at the Aero theater (that was my coolest one, actually, I was just a kid and the crew let me hang out in the theater for hours, and I got to meet pretty much everyone that was in that part of the movie).

I'm sure there's been others too, but those are the ones I remember.

I also often see places I am pretty familiar with in movies, like the Merry Go-Round in the Sting, which is also in Santa Monica.
Old 06-16-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My high school was the setting for Rushmore Academy.

One day over a decade ago, my brother and I were riding our bikes through the Rice Village in West University and some movie guys told us to back up for a minute. A couple of the shots they used were early parts of the car chase in The Chase.

And I doubt it was anywhere near me, but parts of Arlington Road were shot in Houston.

Last edited by kenny79; 06-18-03 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-17-03, 12:33 AM

part of "Bulletproof Monk" was filmed at City Hall, Toronto. just outside my friend's workplace. my uncle was a film extra in that movie and hung out with Mr. Chow very often.
Old 06-17-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terminator 2 was shot in the Glendale Galleria.

Um, there was a Del Taco commercial filmed near my house.
Old 06-17-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Parts of Redford's 'The Candidate' were shot in my old hometown.
Old 06-17-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The scene in the mall in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was filmed at Metrocenter Mall in Arizona, and the water park scene was filmed at Golfland Sunsplash in Mesa, Arizona.

Scenes from The Getaway were filmed at the dogtrack in Phoenix.

Jerry Maguire - Arizona Cardinals stadium.

The closest movie that was filmed on location to me would be Bill and Ted's though.
Old 06-17-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pillowhead
The scene in the mall in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was filmed at Metrocenter Mall in Arizona, and the water park scene was filmed at Golfland Sunsplash in Mesa, Arizona.
I never knew the movie was filmed there!

Then again i didnt live there at the time the movie was filmed but i wonder why i never picked up them being in the movie.

I wonder how those places are doing today.
Old 06-17-03, 02:24 AM

it's not really my neighborhood but the subway station i work at is quite popular for filming,The station is called Canary wharf in an area of london called docklands.Its a giant station made of concrete,steel and glass.We have had the following films done here:
1,28 days,the scene where he wonders into the empty station.
2,killing me softly,the scene where they meet on the escalators,they do change this station into an airport alot.
3.agent cody blanks 2,they are doing 4 days filming next weekend.
4.code 46,a new sci-fi film starring tim robbins and samantha morton-wonderful,but weird woman.also i spoke to the make-up woman who had just finished on LXG in prague and saying how 4 weeks turned into 5 months.
We've had jonathon frakes come down to scout for the thunderbirds film(they want to crash thunderbird 2 through the station roof) and madonna might do a video there,but the also wanted to a bit if the first tomb raider there but that fell through.
It's pretty good when they film because i get to help out with crowd control and get paid extra money.
Old 06-17-03, 05:30 AM

not really in my neighborhood(I was on vacation)...but the scene in Keeping The Faith where they are in a movie theater is actually the same movie theater I saw Keeping The Faith
Old 06-17-03, 07:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 were filmed right in my neighborhood here in Salt Lake City.

A large portion of The Way of the Gun was filmed at my office building.
Old 06-17-03, 07:57 AM

Ginger Snaps was filmed in my neighborhood (Mississauga, ON)
Old 06-17-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rye Playland Amusement Park has been featured in several great films, including Big and Fatal Attraction. Mariah Carey filmed her video for Fantasy there also.
Old 06-17-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some scenes for Remember the Titans was filmed at a high school behind my college dorm.

Some scenes for Road Trip were filmed on my college quad (Emory University)... thus displacing my own production that day. Still bitter 'bout that.

A scene from Houseguest was filmed at my high school in Pittsburgh.
Old 06-17-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While not actually filmed, they were planning to use the local High Falls district in one of the Batman movies. Either Penguins area or Mr. Freezes lair. Can't remember which one.
Old 06-17-03, 09:55 AM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
While I was still living in Omaha, Nebraska (stationed at the AFB), they filmed Election...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.