Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

where's the bass? (kenwood htb 505)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-16-03, 04:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got the kenwood system. am disappointed with the bass. current setup is dvd to receiver through toslink cable. when i watch movies or play music cd's, bass is there, but it's weak. comparable to 2.1 pc speakers i've heard. however when i plug the subwoofer directly into the sub-out on dvd player, the bass kicks in and i can feel the sound like i expected. any help?

i've tried messing around with the receiver settings, but can't get the sub to pack a punch when connected to the receiver. likewise, when watching tv there's almost nothing coming out of sub. is this normal for htb systems? i plan on returning soon if it can't be fixed, maybe try the onkyo s660.

thanks for any help.
Old 06-16-03, 07:45 PM

I have the Kenwood Htb 405 conncect to my PS2 via optical and the bass thru the subwoofer will shake the room. Have you gone into the Menu/Sound and pumped the sub up to +10? If you do that and you still don't get results, you may have a problem with your receiver.
Old 06-16-03, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Star Wars Guy
I have the Kenwood Htb 405 conncect to my PS2 via optical and the bass thru the subwoofer will shake the room. Have you gone into the Menu/Sound and pumped the sub up to +10? If you do that and you still don't get results, you may have a problem with your receiver.
thanks for the info. yes it's up 10+. it looks like i'm returning this.

also how much bass do you get from stereo source like vcr or tv, using red/white rca connectors?
Old 06-17-03, 06:37 AM

My PS2 is the only thing hooked up to it. Sorry.
Old 06-17-03, 10:29 AM

I have the HTB-504. it rocks considering i paid less than 500. upgraded to Monster speaker cables and subwoofer cable. i have the crossover setting on the sub for in the middle and the volume of the sub to about 40%. i have my PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Tivo, TV and DVD player (xbox and dvd through optical - sounds the best), with RCA the bass is good. try returning it and getting another one, could be the receiver or subwoofer cable.
Old 06-17-03, 10:42 AM

I have the HTB-504. it rocks considering i paid less than 500. upgraded to Monster speaker cables and subwoofer cable. i have the crossover setting on the sub for in the middle and the volume of the sub to about 40%. i have my PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Tivo, TV and DVD player (xbox and dvd through optical - sounds the best), with RCA the bass is good. try returning it and getting another one, could be the receiver or subwoofer cable.
Old 06-17-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Make sure you have the receiver set up right..I have the 405 and didn't enable the subwoofer in the bios in the setup program.
Old 06-18-03, 02:05 AM

question

is the toslink optical cable the only cable you have hooked up? to get the sub to work you must hook up the toslink cable from the DVD player to the reciever AND hook up the sub cable from the receiver to the subwoofer.
Old 06-18-03, 03:47 AM

thanks for trying to help guys

i have toslink from dvd to receiver. receiver to 5 speakers and subwoofer through appropriate wires. i know it's set up right, because of the test tone option sent to each piece.

it really seems like a receiver problem, so i'll be returning this weekend. sad thing is this was one of two they had left since it was on sale for $299. hopefully there's still the other one there. or i may fork over the premium for a onkyo set.

but can someone else confirm that they do get good bass that packs a punch when using only stereo rca cables from something like vcr or tv as source?
Old 06-18-03, 02:10 PM

I have the HTB503, same basic model but two years old. I have to ask you a VERY stupid question -- is your subwoofer plugged into an active wall outlet and turned on? I get house shaking, bone rattling bass from all sources with mine.
Old 06-24-03, 01:40 AM

htb 505 now on sale at 6thave.com think the price is 229!!! a very good deal right now!