Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rancid signs with Warner Brothers

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancid Hops to Warner Bros.
Sat June 14, 2003 08:47 AM ET 00
By John D. Luerssen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Veteran punk outfit Rancid will jump to Warner Bros. Records for its sixth studio album and first since its self-titled 2000 release.

"This is true," confirms a representative from Epitaph Records, the band's long time home. The as-yet-untitled titled disc, due Aug. 26, was produced by Epitaph head and founding Bad Religion member Brett Gurewitz.

Hellcat Records, Rancid's label and home to records by the late Joe Strummer and the Dropkick Murphys, will continue to be aligned with Epitaph. The Distillers, a Hellcat band fronted by Rancid singer Tim Armstrong's estranged spouse Brody, jumped to Warner Bros. imprint Sire earlier this year. That group is working on its label debut with producer Gil Norton.

"Rancid" peaked at No. 68 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 153,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. Since then, group members have remained active. In 2001, guitarist Lars Frederiksen released a solo project on Hellcat, "Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards."

Rancid's split single with NOFX was released in March 2002, followed in October by the self-titled debut from the Transplants, featuring Tim Armstrong, Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and vocalist Rob Aston. Various members of Rancid are involved with the forthcoming animated/puppetry film "Live Freaky! Die Freaky!," which will be released later this year by Hellcat Pictures.

Rancid will also headline this summer's Vans Warped Tour, which kicks off June 19 in Boise, Idaho.
---------------------

Strange move. They were pursued a lot back before And Out Came the Wolves came out... In fact they sing about it, and the album's title is a reference to it. They decided to stay with Epitaph and avoid the majors...

Wonder why they changed their mind? I'm guessing they were offered some good money.
Old 06-16-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sellouts!!!!!

Old 06-16-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Applejack
Sellouts!!!!!

Actually, I expect to hear that from the young-uns.. I don't really care. I love Rancid.. one of my favorite bands. I'm just excited they're putting out a new album this year.
Old 06-16-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this is good, bad, or indifferent news, but it is one of the more surprising things I've heard from the major labels for some time.

This is the same outfit that infamously dropped Wilco.

I just don't understand the music business.