Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Whats your take on expansion packs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats your take on expansion packs?

there is or will be an expansion for warcraft, neverwinter nights, and morrowind, and each is about $25. Do you generally benefit from expansion packs, or do you feel ripped off?
Old 06-15-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would perfer a free download of the expansion, but generally, if it's pretty cheap, which in the first few weeks of these selling they are pretty cheap, I don't mind much.
Old 06-15-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I like most expansion packs. Most are worth the price. Most except the new Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 expansion
Old 06-15-03, 12:50 PM

the blizzard expansions are pretty pricey, i remember paying nearly $40 with tax for the diablo 2 expansion, but most expansions are worth it
Old 06-15-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I too really like expansions to games i loved. I'm excitedly awaiting the expansion to Age of Mythology and Warcraft III myself.

My fav expansion though had to have been the one to Age of Empires II. The Conquerers expansion i felt really added a lot with the new missions and several new cultures (I'm all about the Spanish).
Old 06-15-03, 03:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like them if done right. Take the three expansion sets you mentioned. All three of them contain almost as much content as the original games, but at a reduced price. One of the perks of PC gaming.
Old 06-16-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I like it when you can buy the gold version of the game a year later with the expansion pack, and sometimes two expansions, for the same price as the original expansion packs.

Case in point: I picked up the Gold Edition of Aliens vs. Predator 2 at Best Buy this weekend for $20 (regular, not sale price).
Old 06-16-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I'll often wait for Gold Editions of many games.

Expansion Packs can be good and they can be bad... Age of Empires 2 is a good example of a very good one. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith is another good one.

Others, like Road To Rome, or Blue Shift should be free addons or contain a lot more stuff.
Old 06-16-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
These days, they're more worth it than they used to be - I used to buy all the expansions for Quake and whatnot and felt ripped off afterwards. I loved all the expansions for Half-Life.
Old 06-16-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts
The key is that the expansion pack has to be a good supplement to the original game, and not just some lame bug fixes that should've been included in the original release. Blizzard expansions has always been good, but somewhat on the pricey side.
Old 06-16-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Some are good, some aren't worth it.

I really enjoy the expansions for the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series of games. They have new areas to play, you can attain higher levels, so more spells become available, etc. The expansion for Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter is especially good because it allows the game to run in resolutions above 640x480, something that wasn't available with the regular game. People complained that Heart of Winter was too short though, so the devs made an "expansion expansion" called Trials of the Luremaster that was downloadable and added some more gameplay. Pretty dope.

I'd say I got a lot of gameplay out of the Diablo II expansion, although I did think it was overpriced at the time. And now they're getting ready to realease the 1.10 patch, which is supposed to add a ton of items, and make lots of changes. Sort of like getting a small expansion for free. Can't complain there.
Old 06-16-03, 02:35 PM

Yeah, Blizzard is really good about supporting and making patches for their older games. It's so cool that, even now, two years later, they're trying to make D2X fresh and fun to play, for free. They did it with Starcraft too, only their latest patch introduced another bug that only gives you the Zerg victory screen when you win, even if you use Terrans or Protoss.

As for expansion packs, I generally love them, if they add a lot of content and aren't just bugfixes. Some people complain about them, saying that "this is all stuff that should've been in the original game to begin with!" Apparently deadlines don't mean anything to these people. And nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy the x-pack. If they release something that extends the playability of your aging game, what is wrong with that.
Old 06-16-03, 02:46 PM

I think that the Sims expansion packs are way overpriced for what you get. Paying 30 dollars for each expansion pack is way too much, considering that most have a small number of new items, locations and professions. However, they seem to be profitable, which is probably why new add on packs for the Sims keep coming out. I long for the day when a Sims Gold Edition would come out.. with the Sims and all of its numerous add on packs!
Old 06-16-03, 03:40 PM

The numerous Sims expansion packs didn't bother me so much (though every time a new one was announced, I'd be all, "What?? ANOTHER ONE?!?") as the fact that they released a Sims Deluxe Edition with exclusive stuff that you couldn't get in any of the expansion packs. It just penalizes those of us who were in on the Sims craze from the very beginning. Eh, it doesn't really matter since I've pretty much abandoned The Sims, but it still irked me a little.

Also, Best Buy sold many of the expansion packs for $20, which made them more palatable.
Old 06-16-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my opinion the Medal of Honor: Spearhead expansion was lame. I was really disappointed in the missions. They were too few and too short. A waste of $25. Maybe worth $10 or $15.