Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mullholland Dr - Can someone explain this movie to me?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wasted 2 and a half hours watching this. Someone please explain to me what I am missing in this film. I did enjoy the lesbo seesion though, but I am still lost. Anyone?
Old 06-14-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this: http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...rive_analysis/

When I first saw MD, I loved it, but was totally confused. I read that article, and by the time I was finished, everything made sense. Well... almost everything.

Rob
Old 06-15-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You need a MD after seeing MD.
Old 06-15-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If you think of it in terms of being a dream, then it makes sense in the way your average dream makes sense.
Old 06-15-03, 07:03 AM
Banned

I can explain it.... It's a David Lynch film......
Old 06-15-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's about second chances
Old 06-15-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Try doing a search on this topic, we have many threads about it and one does pop up every so often.

Here's a link to another one.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...lholland+Drive
Old 06-15-03, 10:26 AM

While Premier is not a magazine I particularly comfortable using a a source, this month's has an article about the wonderful Naomi Watts (Betty/Diane), who says hers was a "reality-based" character, whose unrequited love and sadness bordering on dementia has led her to create "the wish, the dream, the fantasy, the projection" of Betty."

Well put, IMO. I too was puzzled by this film after my first watching but knew I had to see it again (and again). Each subsequent viewing has helped me undestand plot points and allusions a bit more, and MD has become my all-time favorite film.
Old 06-15-03, 05:02 PM

Re: Mullholland Dr - Can someone explain this movie to me?

Originally posted by dvdmachine
...I did enjoy the lesbo seesion though...
Says it all really.
Old 06-16-03, 07:22 AM

Wait! Wait! The emperor has no clothes.!!

As far as I'm concerned, Mulholland Drive was a slick cinematic trick.
To paraphrase somebody whom I'm forgetting,"There's no there, there."
J
Old 06-16-03, 05:19 PM

Everybody dies and then they fall in love.
Old 06-16-03, 06:50 PM
Suspended

I always feel like a fraud saying I love Bergman when initially I didn't like his films. Inititally, I didn't understand his work at all. I got the basic gist of the stories, but didn't enjoy them. His craft was admirable, but I didn't connect with the material. It wasn't until I read reviews and had other people explain the symbolism and nuances to me that I had found a greater appreciation for his work. When I re-watched Bergman's films, I enjoyed them more when I kept those explanations in mind.

To stray off topic a bit, my question is, is that okay? Do I have to understand symbolism and nuance myself in order to truly 'get' the films? Or is it alright that my understanding comes from the commentary tracks and other reviews? Obviously these hidden meanings are not the sole factor in determining the quality of the movie, but you can't deny that they are present.
Old 06-16-03, 07:10 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Mullholland Dr - Can someone explain this movie to me?"

No. Not really.
Old 06-17-03, 11:23 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud

To stray off topic a bit, my question is, is that okay? Do I have to understand symbolism and nuance myself in order to truly 'get' the films? Or is it alright that my understanding comes from the commentary tracks and other reviews? Obviously these hidden meanings are not the sole factor in determining the quality of the movie, but you can't deny that they are present.
I think its perfectly ok - its not like all of us are born with the ability of interpret art/film. Its also accepted in the auteur theory that you have to watch a couple of films by a director before you can understand the concepts he/she is going after.
Old 06-17-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem is not that you don't understand the film, the problem is that your real understanding is 'buried' under the more 'rational' aspects of your mind. Lynch's films speak directly to the subconscious. The subconscious doesn't use the language of associations, of labeling and dividing.

That's why repeat viewings are a must. It's kind of like when you were a kid and maybe one game you tried was repeating a word or phrase until it began sounding funny. That's because after a time it loses its original context and just becomes a 'sound.'

When you watch these films repeatedly you are able to just let go and drop your original associations and the volume of the chatter in your ordinary mind. Then you realize you understood the film from the beginning, it was obvious, you just were focusing on one aspect or trait while not being aware of the whole.

Anyway, don't listen to this philosophizing, just watch the film again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 06-17-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Mulholland Drive is a very rational film after you get the basic point:

Before reading this spoiler, remember that's is much, MUCH more satisfying to figure it out on your own.

Spoiler:
The first part is a dream, and after the Cowboy tells her to wake up, it's reality. Watts was dreaming that she was the famous moviestar. But in 'reality', she wasn't. It was the other character that was the famous star. Watts dreamed that she had everything.

In the meeting with the director and Dan Hedaya, she's rationalizing how something like that could happen. You can't just throw yourself into such a detailed dream fantasy, and expect yourself to accept everything. You'd just wake up.

In the scene where the director finds his wife cheating, it's just Watts' fantasy; sort of getting even with the love in the other girls life.

The blue key, and the box. She remembered the blue "I'll leave it after she's dead" key from reality, and places it in her fantasy.

Of course, after she wakes up, she's still fantasizing about the other girl. Thus, the masturbation/fantasy scene.

The only thing that I'm still up in the air on is the old people. I think that they were just in Watts' mind (and of course, she probably knew the 'real' old people). It's just her guilt, and the thought of 'what would they think of me' that drove her to shoot herself.

It all fits into place if you think about this while watching it. As for the monster behind Winkie's, I have no ****ing idea!

Hope that helps you out. My apologies to the great David Lynch for summing it up so easily.
Old 06-17-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love when people try to explain this film or lost highway.

hint: you can't. and you shouldn't.

just enjoy the pretty pictures.
Old 06-17-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Sunday Morning

Actually, Mulholland Dr. DOES have an INTENDED, comprehensable story line. Lynch said so himself. He also pretty much lays down the whole story with hints on the DVD insert.

However, Lynch has said that Lost Highway isn't meant to be comprehended. It's meant to be viewed as a nightmare. Nothing makes sense. Just like a nightmare-ish dream. That's what Lynch has said. And then there's that time when the writer spilled his guts and explained what he had intended the meaning to be (and got a bona-fied ass whooping from Lynch).

So you're right about Lost Highway, but I have to disagree with you on Mulholland Dr.
Old 06-17-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sunday Morning

Uhh...I think troystiffler just did.

Lost Highway, on the other hand, takes a little more effort, but is essentially the same kind of deal, in reverse.
Old 06-18-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
Actually, Mulholland Dr. DOES have an INTENDED, comprehensable story line. Lynch said so himself. He also pretty much lays down the whole story with hints on the DVD insert.

However, Lynch has said that Lost Highway isn't meant to be comprehended. It's meant to be viewed as a nightmare. Nothing makes sense. Just like a nightmare-ish dream. That's what Lynch has said. And then there's that time when the writer spilled his guts and explained what he had intended the meaning to be (and got a bona-fied ass whooping from Lynch).

So you're right about Lost Highway, but I have to disagree with you on Mulholland Dr.
Yes, mulholland drive could be explained on a certain level, but since the film operates on a totally different level, ala lost highway, I believe it's better things are left unexplained.

The film is basically a film noir. Has all the elements. But in typical lynchian fashion. Which is, not typical.

He's one of the few filmmakers who's films are more about the way they look and and at the same time, the way they make you feel. God bless him.